Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recenlty taught me how to shift on a lil rebuilt 80cc dirtbike. On that bike, it was possible to shift into first and engine break while the bike was moving. I know you cannot do this in cars. I am wondering, can you can shift down into first while a sportsbike is moving? Or if you can is it advised? Also is the gear you are in displayed on the bike's dash?

thanks,

-James

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Definately one can shift down into lst cog when the bike is moving, but keep it at low revs where lst gear is to be. When I am riding in town or anywhere when I am coming to a stop sign or somewhere I need to be in lst gear I simply shift into lst gear.
True you could engine brake as well, but really it is better to be using the brakes on the bike.
I take it you must drive a cage with an auto cog box, but if you were at home with a manual shift it is the same thing that we will come to said stop sign tapping the brakes & often using the engine to slow down. Thing is m/cs have such easy to handle & superior brakes that we use them rather then the engine especially in lst cog.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The only time you have to use the clutch on a bike is when you stop - if you don't care about gearbox life or a jerky ride.

I race shifter karts (Honda CR125 6 speed), and once we've left the start line the clutch is not touched again until the end of the race. I change the gearbox oil after every hour of driving, and rebuild the gearbox every 20. Clutches last a long time though....

The reason you can't do it (easily) on a car is that the synchro stops you. In a single seater racer (no synchro) it's easier, but still not as easy as a bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts