Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever install a shift lite on their street bike? I'm new to bikes so I don't know much about this, but I know that Autometer makes some micro lites that could probably fit really nicely on a bike. If somebody has done this, and his pics, please send the link or e-mail it to me.

~Scott

------------------
98 Mustang GT - x-pipe, springs, rack bushings, cat-back exhaust, K&N, clear corners, etc.
Bike - none yet

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ok,

I want to take this moment to espouse on some fundamental differences between GearHead CAR stuff and GearHead BIKE stuff.

A term used widely in the sportbiking circles is "POSER". Additionally, youve already heard "SQUID" used widely.

The term Poser stems from guys buying a sportbike and immediately wanting it to look like that "coolest" most "tricked out" race machine ever to hit the roadways. This is a big problem. Competently riding a sportbike is NOTHING at all like driving a muscle car. I grew up with a fascination for the Mach1 and Boss302 Mustangs. I was a teenage gearhead. I dreamed of someday having the baddest ass 'Stang with all the trick equipment and go-fast parts you could want. This is normal. This is a Muscle car thing.

SPORTBIKES on the other hand are a different animal. It isnt about all those "pretty" and 95% useless accessories. With a sportbike there really is no need for a shiftlight. Unless you are pulling 8second quarter miles at the local dragstrip there is absolutely no need for one. This brings me to the underlying difference between muscle cars and sportbikes. Muscle cars are judged on thier quarter mile ET. Sportbikes are judged on handling, stability and to some extent, top speed. Quarter Mile time is an added novelty, but these bikes are not designed for drag racing. If you are only concerned with 1/4 mile ET than a sportbike is not what you need.

That being said, the "poser" is more concerned with "dressup" stuff. polishing, decals, neon lights, SHIFT LIGHTS, and ive even seen a sportbike which was covered in fuzzy leopard fur. This is the most pathetic breed of enthusiasts i have seen.

However, i have on my bike, polished the frame and i do have 2 non factory decals. At the same time however, these cosmetics were secondary to the best suspension upgrades and safety accessories i could afford. (for example: front suspension/spring upgrade, rear shock upgrade, braided steel brakelines, etc, etc) These are things you cant "see" but you know they are there when you ride.

These bike were built to handle, and most anyone on SBW will tell you that "looks" may be a factor, but they are strictly secondary compared to suspension, handling and safety.

Power is another thing most of us all would like a little more of. However, there is a point of diminishing returns when it comes to power-vs-money. A low-end 600cc sportbike makes anywhere from 60-70HP and weighs from 425-550 pounds. A high end 600cc sportbike makes anywhere from 90-105HP and will weigh in anywhere from 375-425 pounds. Compare that with your Fox body Mustang which may put out 225-240HP but weight 3500 pounds or more!

Needless to say there is a big difference. The first order of business when switching from a Musclecar to a sportbike is to THROW OUT all you have learned about Cars and what makes them cool, because they have no place and no applicatiuon to a sportbike.

I think im done now. Ill leave the soapbox here for anyone else to use.

I am not trying to be offensive and i do welcome you to the group. I just wanted to give some perspective. Have fun and let us know what you decide to get!!!

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Whatever you do just don't say you're thinking of putting a fake NOS bottle on your bike. :D :D :D :D

------------------
"When it rains, we all get wet, the Pope and the prostitute"-Santana

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yo Green Ninja~
I can understand what you are saying, and I'm not taking offense to what you've said. Allow me to clarify what I posted. Being that I've NEVER riden a bike, I don't know what it's like, but it seems to me that the guages are somewhat low and in an inconvenient place to have to look down off of the road at. If I did get a shift lite, on a 600cc bike, it would be because I was racing it (which I don't plan on doing for a few years) and I wanted to have a safer bike. Safer in the sense that I could keep my eyes on the road more easily. Not to make it all show and no go.
Also, I'm not the muscle car meathead jackass that is often associated with mustangs (especially fox body 5.0's). I have been raised to love cars off of the two E30 M-3's that my dad has owned and raced. An '87 that was one of the first 100 built, and an '89 that we still have. The things that I hate most about the stang are the piss poor brakes and handling. Oh yeah, I spent the weekends over the summer working on my neighbors track-only 911. I'm not just a straight line fool (and my stang is nothing to write home about in the quarter either)
I'm just feeling things out for what bikes are about.

~Scott

------------------
98 Mustang GT - x-pipe, springs, rack bushings, cat-back exhaust, K&N, clear corners, etc.
Bike - none yet

[This message has been edited by ITisURturn (edited September 26, 2000).]

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
IMO a shift light is a waste of money on a street bike. ;) Of course, I also think a full exhaust system and race compound tires are also a waste of money on a late model street bike... unless you find a deal you can't refuse. :rolleyes: :eek:

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GreenNinja:

ive even seen a sportbike which was covered in fuzzy leopard fur.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw a group of them in Daytona this year. Orange/black tiger stripes, a black and white cow pattern, a leopard print, one shaggy gray, and one other I dont remember as well. They said it was cause they ride real hard and it is cheaper than refiberglassing and repainting! What a bunch of a**holes.
I did like the 4 inch gray shag though. Maybe when I get a second set of plastic for the Duck. Do I make you horny baby?

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
By the way, you would be better off learning what bike you are riding, and then know when to shift by sound. On the track a shift light MIGHT be desired, but not a necessity.
And not that I condone racing but wait till you can SAFELY run away from a 5.0 stang. They will always try to run with a bike and always look like dorks when left behind. Unless of course you miss a 1 to 2 shift on your RC51, then you look like a putz rolling along in false neutral trying to find a gear, ANY gear.

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by funksouljon:
I saw a group of them in Daytona this year. Orange/black tiger stripes, a black and white cow pattern, a leopard print, one shaggy gray, and one other I dont remember as well. They said it was cause they ride real hard and it is cheaper than refiberglassing and repainting! What a bunch of a**holes.
I did like the 4 inch gray shag though. Maybe when I get a second set of plastic for the Duck. Do I make you horny baby?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm confused, are we talking about their women or their bikes. :rolleyes: :p

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
873 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by funksouljon:
By the way, you would be better off learning what bike you are riding, and then know when to shift by sound. On the track a shift light MIGHT be desired, but not a necessity.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly! When you get to know your bike, rarely do you need a shift light to know when to shift. The engine is revving through 13 or 14K rpms between your legs.. you KNOW when to shift. Its NOTHING like a car. Shift light is NOT needed. (unless, as i said, you are running an 8 sec. drag bike)

And not that I condone racing but wait till you can SAFELY run away from a 5.0 stang. They will always try to run with a bike and always look like dorks when left behind. Unless of course you miss a 1 to 2 shift on your RC51, then you look like a putz rolling along in false neutral trying to find a gear, ANY gear.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HAHAH!! This reminds me. I got to race a Mustang last week one night on the way home (first time in a LONG time!)

I was stopped at a light and there is this tricked out very healthy sounding Fox body GT in the next lane over up ahead of me. The light turns green and the kid (all his friends were inside with him) just barks the rear tires off the line and punches some gas pretty snappy through and past the intersection. It was pretty impressive so i make sure that ill end up next to him at the next light, (not racing yet).

We get to the next light, i roll up. The car is healthy sounding thats for sure (gotta love flowmasters on a 5.0 !!) They of course are hyped for SOMETHING now. :cool:

The other light turns yellow, i hear some rpms in the stang, im ready, light turns green, stang gets the holeshot with a tiny head start as i let the rpms and the clutch get to know one another safely. The 'stang is a car legnth ahead through intersection when i hook up!! :eek:

i wind up through first gear and am right next to him, i catch second gear and the front end comes up about 8" or so and im gone. dusted him. i look back in the mirror and he had slowed WAY down and turned off after i was about 1/8 mile ahead. :rolleyes:

Oh well.. he must have been embarrassed. :(

Will they ever learn? :confused:

------------------
Fear Green.

G

·
Somebody point me to a pic of a "Fox body" Mustang. Not that I have an affinity for Mustangs, I'm just curious.

------------------
Pete
"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
Somebody point me to a pic of a "Fox body" Mustang. Not that I have an affinity for Mustangs, I'm just curious.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's four for ya Pete, anymore questions? :D

------------------

·
Registered
873 Posts
Nice pic RUGBURN! but the mustang (that insignificant thing in the background, was not a fox body, but then again, who cares)

Here is a pic of a Fox body MUSTANG:

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, that's not what is commonly called a fox body stang. Fox bodies began in 86 (I think) and the last one was in 1993. The picture you have is what is known as the SN-95 body style which was first introduced in 1994. I think that it's built on a fox-4 chasis, but it's still called an SN-95. The picture with the hooters girls is a 96 cobra (I think that's what Mike Clay has)

~Scott
'91GT - Fox Body http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select14/flor3.jpg
'89GT - Fox Body http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/select13/todds1.jpg

------------------
Bike - none yet

·
Registered
873 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ITisURturn:
Actually, that's not what is commonly called a fox body stang. Fox bodies began in 86 (I think) and the last one was in 1993. The picture you have is what is known as the SN-95 body style which was first introduced in 1994. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you are referring to the red stang and not the black, the black is still the fox chassis.

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
169 Posts
WHAT THE HELL !,..IS THIS MUSTANG.NET ???....oh well can't beat em join em,..i had this gremlin that i could pick up some fox's with blah blah blah......

------------------
texas tornado #2

jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yo Green Ninja...the 2 pics I posted as well as the black one you posted (was that you?) are all fox body. I was just saying that the red cobra with hooters girls isn't fox body.

~Scott

------------------
Bike - none yet

·
Registered
873 Posts
Ah, ok, cool, jus checkin, for a second i thought you knew somethin i didnt! hehehe

:p

------------------
Fear Green.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's all good man. I do think that they are all still on the same chasis from 86-00, but the last fax body was 1993. The next chasis change will be in th enext few years. They will actually be using the chasis from a Jag s-type. Sorry for all the mustang crap, sportbike doods.

~Scott

------------------
Bike - none yet

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
as I can now see, I was wrong.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DUH!! :D

------------------

1 - 20 of 37 Posts