Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's more of a question than a How Do I?, but anyway:
When the head is shaved, or milled, do the dowels need to be shortened? And what is the average mill size?
Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
No unless the head was shaved too much. By that time,your compression would be so high that the bike would need 110 octane gas. The cam chain would also not have much adjustment left and might need to be degree'd.
How much are you going to shave or allready have? The standard mill is .002 up to .010 inch,for all the motors i've built as a mech. Really anymore is starting to raise compression,effect chain length, and could possibily have the valves hit the piston tops. Sorry so long but it's what i do for a living.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have three heads. One is stock, one is .005 under
and the race head is .010 under.(comparing it to the stock one.) So you would think that that's how much to take off?
Otherwise the gasket might leak? I will test to make sure the piston clears, I just don't want to loose compression.
A Falicon crank is taking the work out of the oversized pistons.

·
Registered
38 Posts
First Question now is what kind of engine are you building?
Chain drive cams, gear drive, or both as Suzuki TL1000.
.010 probilliy won't hurt too much but can never tell.On my
VFR the max warp is .004in. and can't be shaved. Due to the gear drive not being able to adjust to the tighter head to block clearance.Best idea would be to call dealer service dept. or good cycle shop and ask them.Hope I helped in some way. Steven K.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a race head from Honda, so I'm sure it's good, but back to the dowls. I think I'll trim some off just in case.
I disn't know that .010 was such a huge diferance. wonder what kind of power i'd gain.
??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts