Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across an article in an unlikely spot and thought it was interesting, though I’ll admit maybe that’s just because I’m a gear geek.

A relative who works at a company that indexes hundreds of technical journals sent me a copy of a cover story from America’s Textile Industries magazine (they cover fascinating stuff such as new kinds of yarn). The cover shows a magazine staffer sitting on his old Suzuki Water Buffalo with the headline “Textiles Saved my Life.”

OK, so far it’s a laugh. But give him a break, the guy does own other bikes, and his story was interesting, especially since it was written by an expert in the field. He hit some sand on a tight curve during a ride in the Va.-N.C. mountains and high-sided. He was hurled into a guardrail, bounced off that and tumbled down a ravine.

He was wearing Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket and pants. The article included photos of the damage to the suit and attempted to reconstruct the accident. The toll: a broken pelvis, wrist and leg, 10 days in intensive care, five metal plates and 30 screws. But, none of the areas protected by the Joe Rocket suit’s armor were injured. Most importantly to him, the back protector kept him from spinal injuries.

It wasn’t your usual sliding-down-the-asphalt crash. The only abrasion was against the guardrail, primarily, and secondarily the logs, rocks, brier bushes, etc., that he hit on his tumble down the ravine. But it was a good test of the armor.

So for what it’s worth – wear your gear!

------------------

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have Joe Rocket Ballistic stuff.

------------------
Hey officer, wanna race????

1 - 3 of 3 Posts