Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys know a good site, or have any personal experience with setting up the carbs on this bike for my full system? Some people have told me that a stage one jet kit is the way to go but I know that what this kit does is the same as shimming the stock needles up a little (my mechanic knows the right washer to use). He tells me that my stock filter works best with this bike with a muzzy pipe, but what are the differences between it and my D&D? Would a K&N Filter be better or worse? Is the stage one jet kit not the way to go? Do you have any tips at all because any knowledge you guys have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Machman

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
With a 98ZX9R you need a stage III kit. You cannot use a Stage I kit.

Here is what I have on mine and I have been very happy with the performance gain. While I have a Muzzy full system this should also work fine for your D&D

Factory Stagge II kit (Made by Muzzy and packaged by Factory) You can buy on direct from Muzzy for $99 They give you 148, 150, and 150 jets I've been happy with the 148 jets.

(Stay away from Pro Dyno Jet kits as you have to drill to use them)

K&N Filter (Can't remember the price, but you can order them from just about anywhere.) Muzzy says that you can keep the stock filter if you wish, but I chose to go with a K&N.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stage II or stage III?

your post wasn't clear on which one to use. Where do you notice the performance increase on yours? Did the filter make a noticable difference?
Thanks
Machman

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Re: stage II or stage III?

machman said:
your post wasn't clear on which one to use. Where do you notice the performance increase on yours? Did the filter make a noticable difference?
Thanks
Machman
Sorry,

I just read my last post and realized that I messed it up. This is what I would go with for your bike.

#1. A Factory Stage III jet kit (You can order this from Muzzy http://www.muzzy.com )

#2. K&N air filter.

Since I put both the jet kit and the K&N filter on at the same time I really don't know how much of a difference the filter made.

I notice a very nice power increase from 7,000RPM and above (till about 11,000) And I gained (overall) a 10.5 RWHP gain on the top end with about a 8 RWHP gain in the midrange.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts