Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a little off-line discussion, I thought I might pose a question to better understand what the users of this forum believe is the intent of SBW. This does NOT apply to the specific groups, like GTR and Redline (at least, I don't think so).

I'll narrow it to a couple of choices, based on observation, though variations are welcome (and I'm sure will happen).

1) This is a motorcycle forum, for and about motorcycles. This does not mean that the forum's purpose is to form a broad community, but rather to offer advice and information to others seeking a better understanding of motorcycling in general. Comments and discussion that are non-motorcycle related should be kept to an absolute minimum.

2) This is a community of people who have a common interest in motorcycles. While the primary purpose for the gathering is motorcycling information, discussion on a variety of topics is welcome and encouraged.

The impetus to the posed question is my feeling, of late, that there has been some steering by particular members toward one particular purpose, which differ from my thoughts on any forum's purpose. Since I find no general guide anywhere, this will at least be informative for me, and hopefully will provide basis for my future involvement here. TIA :thumb:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
kanwisch said:
1) This is a motorcycle forum, for and about motorcycles. This does not mean that the forum's purpose is to form a broad community, but rather to offer advice and information to others seeking a better understanding of motorcycling in general. Comments and discussion that are non-motorcycle related should be kept to an absolute minimum.
....except when outside of the m/c related threads.

i will admit (and i'm sure no one would argue) that i have been guilty of straying a bit off topic at times in other threads, but i do agree that there are certain subforums that are directed specifically towards motorcycling. i have actually been trying to stay out of informative threads if i don't have any related input. some side topics (conversations) do and may occur in those threads. its almost "expected", but THIS particular sub-forum being the "off topic" does indicate outside of the M/C interests along with the others such as "Sports", "Cars", etc...

2) This is a community of people who have a common interest in motorcycles. While the primary purpose for the gathering is motorcycling information, discussion on a variety of topics is welcome and encouraged.
:thumb:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I would say that both of your choices are correct, for certain sections of the site.

The motorcycle forums should stay to motorcycle topics, but not necessarily be bound to only posts dealing with bikes. As any conversation happens, it leads from one thing to the next. It's just a natural progression. On many threads the question is answered within the first few posts, so it may not be a big deal if later in the thread something goes astray. If it gets too far off topic then a new thread should be started in the correct forum (depends on if the off topic posts were motorcycle related or not).

The off topic forums....well....pretty much anything goes. Not much else needs to be said about that really. It's an area where people can talk and develop friendships outside of the motorcycle realm without disturbing those only interested in bikes. It can also be just a quick laugh throughout your day.

I'd be interested in hearing where you feel things are being steered (and by whom, but that may not be really important). PM me if you would, as we are always looking for suggestions to make the site better. :)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
This thread is too deep for me.

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
kanwisch.. you have nice thoughts layed out and very well put... I like to think both are true in their own place... I too am guilty of straying off topic of a thread but usualy don't try to do so... if the subject sways and I have a comment (which I usually do) I'll chime in... ;)

hopefully when Mike - Sportsbikes has some free time we'll see more of these uncertanties cleared up and a more firm and solid line in which to follow :thumb:

E.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I think that the variety keeps it interesting. You can only talk about the same bike things for so long. By having the general theme being bikes, the avenue is always there for bike specific questions and discussions. If it is kept strictly to those issues, the folks most able to help with an answer may have moved on from boredom. It is most evident in the new rider forum, where the questions become repetitious but NOT as a fault of the new riders. They are asking legitimate questions and are the most likely to need help. The repetitious questions from "newbies" gets old when you've seen the same questions for years, but those guys don't know that. That's what makes them "new riders". They weren't here then. I also suspect they are the group who gets the most benefit from the board. When the only requirement for membership is an interest in bikes, the knowledge range will be all over the place. The variety keeps it interesting for me. JMO

The topic headings should be honored with a degree of integrity and maybe an occasional reminder in that direction is warranted, but I'm generally, not always, OK with the overall tone of this sight.

Kanswich, is there something specific that's bugging you? If you're uneasy about airing it here, a PM would be fine.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the inputs

I suppose its possible I'm simply in an overly emotional state or something due to end-of-semester activities. There are a couple senior members that have really gotten on my nerves. For the most part, I'm just checking on things here now, but not participating a whole lot; that might change I guess, after the semester ends.

Anyway, I did what I've never had to do on this forum (but have on others), and that's use the Ignore feature of my account. What I guess bothers me is that the folks on my Ignore do share great information, but I'm sick of the bother from them.

My thoughts have been that ALL Internet foums, unless clearly spelled out in lots of places, are the latter type of participation (listed intially). Yes, yes, keeping the motorcycle information "clean" is indeed, important, but that's not what's at issue, really.

The past few weeks, I've gotten the impression that some members here disagree with the concept of a community tied by a strong special interest that can have discussion and opinions contrary to their own, and I've found I'm not the only one with that feeling. Anyway, ironically, the only forum I could legitimately post this in was here, and the critical members don't (I think) even look at this forum. Thus, my Ignore option needed exercising.

I intentionally tried to initially post unbiased just to see what results I got back so I could evaluate my final options. And I guess I consider this resolved, so no further details are going to be provided. Clearly it isn't a larger problem, or many others would have noticed. Thanks again for all the comments, and the prod to re-check this thread and deliver more concise reasoning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts