Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, yeah...I know....the 'what bike should I get?' thread. Just give me your :2cents: please.

The time has come to sell my baby. I'm still hesitant, though, as she's been so good to me (and I haven't been so good to her!). I've had the bike since new and just don't know what to get. For reference, I'm 6'2" and 180.

My choices are all '02 models: 954, GSXR-1000, or R1.

All are light, fast, and great bikes. I've heard that the R1 is great, but a little too twitchy of steering. I've sat on all 3, but that's like saying I know what a F1 car drives like b/c I sat in one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Selling your 9? Might as well go ahead and kill yourself. the ZX9R is probably the most versital bike on the planet. You can ride it the track day, ride hard all day and then ride home when all those other wiennies are loading there bikes up for that long 20 mile drive home, big wusses. Yep my freind, it's all over for you.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, what kind of riding do you do? Have you considered a twin? :drool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do all kinds of riding: corners, stunting, cruising........I want s/th fast and non-V-twin. I just don't like the sound of the V-twins....nothing personal. I like that sound in my car, but not on my bike.

Fuck, this is a hard choice.

The R1 just looks so good, but having had a major highside once (and not saying it's more likely on an R1), the skittish handling at speed intimidates me.

Dammit why do they make such good bikes now.:crying: :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
UFO said:
You haven't ridden many bikes have you...? ;)
I have ridden quite a few bikes and find the ZX9R an awesomely versatile bike. I use mine mostly for commuting 100+ miles of back roads per day, but it's great for long weekend rides too. A nice big tank bag and some soft luggage gives adequate storage. The riding position is not SS1000 friendly, but it's a nice compromise for fast touring.

That said I know exactly where you are coming from with an FJR. I'd love to (and intend to one of these days) replace my Concours with a new FJR for two up, cool weather touring, but I'd still keep the 9R for most of my riding, especially warm days. The 9R has much better heat management than an FJR or a Concours. I always wear a one piece 'stich so heat management is a big issue for me.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, my riding time is so limited due to being on call all of the time that any of these bikes would be a great option. I am seriously considering the Yam or Gix because of what they offer. Both bikes perform, but there's just something about how that R1 looks, man.........just sweet.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
ZX-9R replacement

Answer: None of the above

Why not the 2004 ZX-10R? That bike looks poised to kick some serious ass!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cdma2000 said:
Yeah - ZX-10R. :cool:

Kawasaki puts a pricetag of $10,699 on it - maybe that's his issue?

I gotta ride it before I decide though!

cdma2k
That's exactly it. I love the concept behind the new 10, but I got burned so badly by the Kawi dealership when I bought my 9 that I've got a really bad taste in my mouth for Kawi dealers. Being in sales I know that's wrong, but I got RAPED on mine. Besides, the notion of an immediate 20% value loss when it's ridden off the lot kind of kills it for me.

I'd rather get a bike with low miles/great upkeep that's a year or 2 old and have fun while saving money. Also, my driving record's not the best = high insurance on a new bike, if they'll insure me at all.

·
Registered
269 Posts
OK - I gotta ask -

How did you get raped? Locked into a loan with high interest rate? What did the dealer do to you to leave this bad taste?

I'm hoping to not end up with the shaft when I buy, so dealer horror stories are of some interest to me...

cdma2k

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was my fault: I trusted my salesperson. I asked him if that was the best he could do and he said yes. I paid full ticket for the bike. The only thing they threw in for free was the extended warranty. My mistake was not playing hardball and getting a better deal. They are a low volume dealer and I should have searched elsewhere. I just trust someone else in sales when they tell you that that's the best they can do and I will never do that again.

In short: look around for the best price and play the dealerships against one another. I may do that again with a newer bike. Maybe I might get the new 10, who knows. But it damn sure won't be from Millennium Kawasaki.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to have a zx9 and I agree it's an awesome bike. I just picked up an '01 zx12 brand new for a hell of a price. From the bikes you list I'd say the gixxer 1000...that bike is just scarey:eek: I would say get a great deal on a leftover 12, but it sounds like you want more of a carver than a mauler;)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I'm not into the top speed/drag bikes like the 12 or Busa. I want s/th light, powerful, and that looks good. I might just try the R1. Who knows......:confused:

·
Registered
269 Posts
The 12 is not a top-speed or dragbike. It is a really nice streetbike with gobs of power everywhere, everywhen. It happens to be fully faired, and can outhandle a 600 of 8 years ago, and the ZX-7 hasn't got much on it even today in the handling department (the ZX-7 is dated). It is NOT a two-up touring bike. With Heli-bars and a double-bubble, it's a dang-nice tourer (or so I am reliably informed).

I've ridden a ZX-12R (2003) model about 100 miles over three different rides, over very different conditions. I will probably buy one if I don't go for the ZX-10R. If I do, I'll leave the stock bars, and valve the forks and shock.

cdma2k

1 - 17 of 17 Posts