Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have joined into the current gas boycot. Because of this I have decided to sell my motorcycle; since I basically ride for recreation. Yes, I do enjoy riding, and yes, I can afford riding, irregardless of fuel prices. But what I can't afford is to let huge foreign corporations or international organizations (Such as OPEC, or petroleum companies, like Exxon) have such immense control of my life. Unfortunately, like nearly all Americans, I can't cut out petroleum products completely from my life. I can't sell my car. But I have been, and will continue to ride a bicycle to work, and any other place where I can. I won't use motorized vehicles for recreation. Finally, I know that alone, I probably can't make a difference, but if enough people try to boycot gasolene, and push for the production of alternate fule vehicles, one day we will all be driving cars, or riding motorcycles powered on American Hydrogen Fuel Cells,

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Let me invoke a little bit of thought. I understand what your purpose is, so I will not try to disuade you at all. I don't necessarily understand/agree with the logic but I do applaud your efforts. At least you are making a stand!

If you sell your bike, someone else is going to ride it right? And they will consume gas and the petrol company will not even care if it is your money or the dude down the street right? But, what if you keep the bike and put it in storage? Then no one will be able to burn gasoline with your motor. So, now the gas company doesn't get the revenue and that is what hurts them. Seem a little bit more effective?
And while you are at it, buy another car and don't drive it either. Then the petrol company will be losing the revenue of 3 vehicles (your 2 cars and your bike). Seem to be an even more effective solution?
And to get a little crazy, if you were able to purchase half of the used cars on the market, you could prevent a sizeable amount of gas revenue from being generated and have a larger effect, and when the gas "crisis" is over, you could resell but since you control such a large market percent, you could set the selling prices and make a profit.
Hmmmm, makes ya think, huh?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you sell your bike, someone else is going to ride it right? And they will consume gas and the petrol company will not even care if it is your money or the dude down the street right?
True, but I use the motorcycle for recreational purposes, whilst another may use it as a means of transportation. And while I can afford the bike, keeping it and not using would cause me to lose even more money. This is because i could use the money I get when I sell it, put it in a CD or other program and make ineterest with it.

and when the gas "crisis" is over
There isn't currently a gas crisis or shortage. All that's happening is that gas prices keep going up. They may go down a little after thet summer "travel" season, but they still go up every year. And gas companise don't compete with one another. So basically people are just getting screwed.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
sninja387 said:

There isn't currently a gas crisis or shortage. All that's happening is that gas prices keep going up. They may go down a little after thet summer "travel" season, but they still go up every year. And gas companise don't compete with one another. So basically people are just getting screwed.
Don't worry. As soon as he helps Wall Street get some of that Social Security money, the Bushster will be right on this. :rolleyes: He's looking out for us, you know!

·
Registered
623 Posts
How much have petrol prices over there risen in how long?

Over here, it's been a bit of a seesaw affair. For Unleaded 91 (the fuel that most vehicles in the country use) the prices rose to a peak (about a 35% increase in price) about mid-2000 before dropping down to pre-rise value very briefly in about November last year. Just as of this week we've just hit a new peak of a couple of cents more than last year.

I don't here too many people over here bitching about it though - they did an awful lot last year. Suppose high petrol prices have almost become the norm here :(

It costs me almost 50% more to fill up my bike now that it did in November ... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :(:(:(

·
Registered
698 Posts
Gas prices in the US hasn't risen as much as in NZ. But it's getting there here in CA. The previous price for 92 octane unleaded was $1.89. Now it is $2.15 a US gallon. To me that means it costs about 15% - 20% more depending where I fill up. It's not that big of a deal on a bike since my Busa consistently gets 45-48 mpg. It is however significantly noticeable on my SUV(Isuzu Trooper w/ 3.2 liter V6 gas), which now costs US$35 to fillup with 92 octane. This is BTW the only octane level my SUV's motor runs on without engine knock while going uphill.

·
Registered
698 Posts
sninja387 said:
I have joined into the current gas boycot. .....what I can't afford is to let huge foreign corporations or international organizations (Such as OPEC, or petroleum companies, like Exxon) have such immense control of my life. ....I know that alone, I probably can't make a difference, but if enough people try to boycot gasolene, and push for the production of alternate fule vehicles, one day we will all be driving cars, or riding motorcycles powered on American Hydrogen Fuel Cells,
That's a noble cause and I admire that you're taking a stand. You can take this a step further by discarding your internal combustion engined car and buy/lease the GM Impact electric car. With that, you will never visit a gas station ever again. You also don't need to give up riding a motorcycle. Check this out: http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mclectra/emb.html
Not the most practical bike but it's better than no bike. In addition, you can attache one of those electric power boosters on your mountain bike. No kidding. I saw it in a catalog. It's a boxlike device you attach to your front fork. It contains a large NiCad battery pack and a high torque motor that hooks up to your tire. You still have to pedal but the booster helps in uphill climbs by easing the burden on you. In fact, check out the latest "Electric News" letter at your local newspaper stand or anywhere they sell such reading material. There you will find a variety of electrically boosted bicycles for your riding pleasure & commute.

Give it time and you will see internal combustion engines go the way of the Dodo Bird. And OPEC will disappear along with it. The drive(no pun intended) to electric power is too strong. First you will see the hybrids. After the hybrids you will see the fuel cells. Then the switch to pure electric. You will probably see all of these types sharing the road in the years to come. They already are now in small numbers. In fact, I see quite a bit of Toyota's Prius & Honda's whatever(I forget the name), in addition to GM's Impact cruising the roads where I live. It won't be long when hybrids & pure electrics like those vehicles will be the vehicle of choice. Then OPEC can kiss our collective asses! :D

·
Registered
455 Posts
Gas here is still cheap. If you want to help make the gas supply last longer .... blow up an SUV. Preferably when it's not occupied.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Ya! Everybody boycott! (snicker snicker!) GOOD LUCK!

BTW, I just wanted to mention the taxes imposed on a gallon of gas. Next time your at the station, read the little sign above the pumps that tells you all the different taxes that you pay for each gallon you purchase! Now take the price/gallon and deduct those taxes, that is the price your paying, the rest is a form of double taxation by good ol' Uncle Sammy!

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Keep in mind folks that until we build more nuclear power plants, the electric vehicles only treat the symptoms. Those batteries don't charge themselves and they don't dispose of themselves. They only make it look like an advantage. Coal or fossil fuels are likely to be what is providing the electricity to charge the batteries. Nothing comes without a price.

I know this hasn't got anything to do with the fuel prices but let's get off the damn electric car bandwagon and force the production of more efficient internal combustion engines and strap a block of C-4 to each of the Suburbans, Expeditions, Urban Dually Trucks and the other worthless un-needed full size vehicles.

:)

·
Registered
698 Posts
RCjohn said:
......I know this hasn't got anything to do with the fuel prices but let's get off the damn electric car bandwagon and force the production of more efficient internal combustion engines and strap a block of C-4 to each of the Suburbans, Expeditions, Urban Dually Trucks and the other worthless un-needed full size vehicles.:)
What have you got against electric vehicles? I don't understand why some people are so vehemently opposed to such type of propulsion systems. Looking at it simply from the standpoint of mechanics, electric propulsion is so much more superior to internal combustion engines. Discounting Battery technology of course. That's something totally different.

Look at the advantages of electric propulsion.
1) Maximum torque is available from 0 to maximum RPM
2) Since electric motors are rotary, it's extremely smooth
3) Electric motors are simple with only a few moving parts
4) There's little friction in an electric motor so it can rev faster and higher and thereby has more potential to produce more power per pound than a piston engine.
5) Electric motors are significantly more efficient than piston engines.

Look at the advantages of electric vehicles:
1) You never have to pay for gas.
2) There is no "warmup" time.
3) They're inherently more quieter & smoother
4) Due to significant reduction of moving parts, maintenance is low.
5) Acceleration is superior to equal weight piston engined cars.
6) Ancillary power devices(AC, PS, PB, etc.) can be operated without the need to run the motor.

The main disadvantages of course are limited range(due to lagging battery technology) and cost(more a function of low production numbers). Both of which are steadily being overcome. We just started building electric cars for mass consumption so what can you expect?

And BTW, the next time you buy something big at Target or WalMart or some electronics/appliance store, try stuffing that into your sportscar/sportsedan type car. Once you go with a fullsize SUV/truck, you'll never go back to those small little compact cars.

PS: This isn't a flame so don't get pissed. Peace. :D

P

·
0 Posts
RCjohn said:
strap a block of C-4 to each of the Suburbans, Expeditions, Urban Dually Trucks and the other worthless un-needed full size vehicles.
And after you rid the world of my Tahoe (which costs me over $50 to fill up every week), you should take care of that Caddy and full-size Dodge pickup sitting in your parents' driveway. :p

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
All I want to say is just remember that your local fuel retailer is not responsible for this. They're not the ones making money here. I'm biased because that's what my family does, but I also have a little insight into what actually goes on.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I always wondered what would become of the motorcycle in a world of hybird and full electric vehicles. I can't really imagine a bike getting in on the act any time soon. The technology seems best suited to four wheeled vehicles at present - where power/weight ratios and space aren't at a premium.

I think bikes will continue to run on petrol long after the majority of cars have moved to fuel cells or what have you.

The m/c companies would have to do one hell of a job on an electric bike to persaude the likes of sportbike riders to change over ...
(I mean can you imagine an electric R1?:))

·
Registered
107 Posts
AMEN, RCJohn!!!!

I am glad somebody else realizes that electric cars are not the answer to the problem.

Electric cars, what a crock -o-shit!

Anybody else catch the news report about the 2 power plants being built in Mexicali, MX. Interesting, that the power companies are building in a country with nearly non-existant environmental regulations (they say thats not the reason though) and 90% of the power will go to that ****ing blight know as California. Go NAFTA!!!!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Munch said:
I am glad somebody else realizes that electric cars are not the answer to the problem.

And the answer to it is?????

Electric cars, what a crock -o-shit!

Why is that? You throw out a couple of arguments against electric cars, yet you don't present any viable alternatives or reasons why. Perhaps you don't have any idea why you hate EV's?

Anybody else catch the news report about the 2 power plants being built in Mexicali, MX. Interesting, that the power companies are building in a country with nearly non-existant environmental regulations (they say thats not the reason though) and 90% of the power will go to that ****ing blight know as California. Go NAFTA!!!!

Now there's a good example of efficient use of a natural resource......Mexico. And why not? Mexico has been sending us their natural resources for years.....migrant workers. We're just taking it to the next level! :D

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Rogue_Biker said:
[ Now there's a good example of efficient use of a natural resource......Mexico. And why not? Mexico has been sending us their natural resources for years.....migrant workers. We're just taking it to the next level! :D
What are those damn Capitalists up to now?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Electric cars aren't the "way of the future". Almost all auto companies are developing Fuel Cell technology. These only need to be filled with hydrogen. This is an abundant resource on earth.

But electric hybrids are a good intermediary vehicle. The Honda Insight weighs only about 1800-1900 lbs. but makes about the same power as any other small car.

Motorcycles would only benefit from being electric or fuel cell powered. Reasons:
-no need for a gas tank
-constant weight, gas won't run out
-no need for an exhaust pipe
-silent running
-no torque or HP curves, because all power is available throughout all rev ranges
-no need for an ignition system, you could just flip a switch and the bike would be on
-less maintenance
-you don't have to buy OPEC petrol products to actually ride the thing!

·
Registered
107 Posts
RogueBiker,

I am against electric cars becuase you need to charge the things, and how do you do that? You plug them in, right?

Well, the electricity coming from the outlet was most likely generated by a fossil fuel burning power plant (at least in this nuclear backwards country). Fossil fuel power plants generate huge quantities of pollution. So if you go to an electric car you are not neccessarily helping the environment because the power plant must generate more electricity to power it, therefore it generates more emissions.

So I don't really see an environmental advantage to electric cars. Thats all I was saying. I don't personally have a problem with them, it is just not the savior of the environment that the "environmental wackos" (thanks for the term Rush) would have you believe.

I don't really have the answer either, Rogue. I would say that they would be a viable source IF the majority of the power generated in this country was done by nuclear, solar (EXPENSIVE), or wind/hydro (impracticle) means. I think hydrogen buring combustion engines are an idea worth developiong further. They emit water as a by-product if I am not mistaken, so that is cool.

I guess if pressed for an answer it would be to bust out the Huffy or by a good pair of walking shoes. Both of those options suck though, so I guess I keep burning dead dinosaurs and having a grand old time.

Later

Munch

P.S. - sninja387, silent running on a bike is not a benefit. Have you heard a Ducati? SO SWEET!!!!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts