Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest Yamaha R6 bikes are in though not testing out on the dino with top revs being 17,500 but closer to 16,200 & seems as if some officials are admitting the tachs are with pink glass on them so revs are closer to 16,200 not that these are low revs.

Check http://www.motorcycledaily.com/ & read in on more.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hmm..

slipper clutch? Check
fly by wire throttle? Check
radial mount everything? Check
a bunch of other shit that I can't remember? Check

Who the fuck cares if it "only" revs over 16k.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are so many challenging new things to the R6 that if I was looking for a hot trotting 600 then I would probably put the R6 as being the first on the list.

Just that this turned up & I thought it was interesting, for some of the regulars on this board might not have heard or read up about this so called flaw.

When Honda & came out with the totally new 00 929 the clutch was a bummer & cog box was really a clunker when going into first cog. Admittely Honda has always been like this while & Yamaha has been a smooth cog box to my mind. It was found out that the clutch basket was fragging. Yet when the Yamaha R-1 come on the market during the few magazing testers were on the 2nd day of testing for high speeds & better tyres for the circuit the clutch also broke up & no more testing till that was corrected a while later on. I think there was something last year about the R1 that should have the engine broken in by the shop's mechanic if that ever did come about FOR some NEW R1's engines were packing it in just as the riders were starting to open them up. Was it just one or two or more????

There are always little ups & downs with new bikes, so I would not be shaken by this loss of revs as was promised.

·
Registered
127 Posts
before i clicked on the link ithought smitty was a little off base. 16 ,17000 rpm, its all up there. well i`m thinkin scam hell now, theres a big difference and numbers arent blurred when spark and fuel maps have to be designed and failure cycle test etc are done. they knew it was crap.... so whats the hp numbers like? i could consider cuttinem some slack if instead there was 120hp at 16.200 rpm as opposed to 120hp at 17.500rpm....if not yammi should burn in hell lol...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unless you're a serious track racer hitting the “Rev” and stays hover close to the red line throughout the race, I doubt most Average Street swatters will even stay up in that upper realm of stratosphere of power band no more than few seconds while cruising up and down the boulevard and again perhaps briefly out in the open.

So, instead of bouncing the ball within this lenth of power band: I---------------------------------I, you only have this to play with:I-------------------I

How disappointing is that for the mere mortals? I don’t think it really matters that much. However, if you’re a factory racer every ounce of hp matters, especially when comes to having that advantage of broader power band. I suppose the crews for the AMA Yamaha team is scrambling to find that extra 1300 rpm somewhere from the engine, however, highly unlikely and I’m certain they were already fully aware of this deficiency way before the testing at Daytona early this year, way before any of us even had the chance to read the first sentences about the new R6 from a bike magazine.

You also have to consider the other new components on that bike and as a whole package which makes it a potent 600 SS classer; fly-by-wire for example, way ahead of it's time by today’s standards for 600...trickle down Moto GP technology to a showroom floor, you gotta love it. :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts