Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am a photographer, and have recently graduated from Art Center College in Pasadena, CA. I shoot cars (and soon, hopefully, bikes), and am always working on new shots to build up my book to help me get paying jobs. =)

Please take a look at my work on my website:
www.jeffludes.com

I'm looking for a sportbike to shoot! If you're in Southern California and have a nice late-model bike, please send me an email! I would need you and your bike for a few hours one night in Los Angeles, and in return you would get a high-quality 12x18 inch print - the same one that goes in my portfolio. All the fancy cars on my site have been shot using this arrangement, and it works well for all involved!

More specefics- the location is in Pasadena. The time is from about 9pm to midnight at the latest, and the day is up to you.

If you're interested, please email a photo or a link to a photo of the same model/color bike. Please email me directly, rather than posting here, or I won't see your message!!!

****[email protected]****

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Jeff I will let others work on the sportbike or roadracing bit, but you life in southen CA & might I suggest that you hike around to a few m/c shops till you spot some MX AND Observed Trials irons then ask where they are being held THEN get in for some outstanding action photos.
Allow me to suggest you take a look at www.trials.co.uk along with wwwssdt.org now both are British & latter is under construction, but they galley is working Take a good look at both & you will have to work a bit around the lst one but some outstanding photos can be taken. The advantage of Observed Trials is you can be so close to the action rather then held back with the rest of the onlookers. True getting in the way of a rider trying to clean a section (that is trying to ride the tricky section without putting a foot down) would really be frowned upon & many hate cheap cameras that have built in strob that take the attention off the competitor at the time.
I competed in Observed Trials, MX, Enduros, Cross Country, flat tracking, dirt hill climbing for some 42 yrs & believe me some outstanding photos can be taken at any of the above.
I also covered events for several m/c mags from aroung '52 till '77 & went through a maze of 35mm film.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Smitty, I will apologize in advance for how I will butcher what I am about to describe... I have seen trials riding that takes place outside (slow, climbing over natural obstacles) but had never seen this done indoors with man-made obstacles untill a few weeks ago on TV. I could not believe what these guys were doing! Jumping from the tops of very large pipe sections, large blocks and stairs. Simply amazing. We just happened to catch this program as it was finishing up so I didn't get to see much. The best thing was my kids reaction as we watched these guys. Both my kids race MX and have seen some riders with excelent bike control but this stuff was just amazing. I think if I saw a still pic of one of these guys in mid air between these huge obstacles, I would think we were about to see a bad wreck. I could not even begin to imagine the talent.

·
Registered
517 Posts
trials bicycles, too

I have sold and have several customers who ride trials bicycles. Similarly amazing things can be done there, too. If your kids want some practice, they can be had fairly cheap and are much quieter jumping around in the back yard.

search for --

180 Magazine, Monty, Norco, Hans Rey or bike trials

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, my brother used to to bicycle trials. he was really into it, until he needed 800 mg a day of Ibuprofen for his knees! Cool stuff, anyway, but not what I'm looking to shoot right now.

But, um, back on topic... anybody have a sportbike in so cal? Email! =)

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Actually many of the new tricks in how to handle Trials m/cs in competition ACTUALLY came from the bicycle Trials Riders in Europe. In fact the rules for OUTDOOR Observed Trials & INDOOR Observed Trials had to be changed. Like for outdoors one is not allowed to hold a bike still, or hop the f/end around till in postition, or to back-up to take on the next part of the section while Indoor Observed Trials is so different.
Actally at some of the Indoor Trials they allow some of the bicycle riders tackle some of the sections just so others can see that bicycles can & do compete in their OWN Observed Trials.
Actually many of the above moves were coming about while I was still competing in Trials with Trials irons of the 70s & not the almost bicycle like Trials irons of to-day & yes I learned how to back the bike up while still staying "feet up", to keep the bike in motion & be able to flick the rear end around 45 degrees or to actually do a neat pivot on the rear wheel for anything from 45 to 180 degree turn yet still staying "feet up". The indoor stuff came later when I had retired. YET we learned these tricks from the young riders as they had already been doing it or next to it on their Trials bicycles & were often beating us experienced riders in the events -------showing the advantage of balance, co-odination & timing over SPEED required in MX & Road Racing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Jeff, excellent site and stunning pictures! (although I get the idea some of those weren't taken in Pasadena, ie: BMW in the snowy tundra)

awesome choice for education too, I almost went to Art Center for ID and probably should have (oh well). let me know if you're planning on selling prints of some of your work - I could use some hi-qual photos to brighten up the office!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Jeff-

All your pictures are excellent, I especially liked the "old school" orange Datsun 240-Z from back in the day...how cool would it be to have a restored one!

Wish I had a very new bike and lived in the Pasadena area to take advantage of your offer...

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like the work you have done and displayed on your website.
Sorry man, I am not around right now otherwise I will help you with my motorcycle.
You can contact Motorcycle Rentals and get a motorcycle of your choice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts