Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to give my own personal endorsement for this product. If you don't know what it is, I've included the link here to the product on the Kryptonite site.

Kryptonite StongHold

I just completed the install of this unit, and it is perfect for those of us forced to keep a bike outside, but want the piece of mind that the bike is secure (as it can be). The product includes two concrete bits (one for pilot holes, and one for the final holes), 3 allen head bolts with concrete expansion sleeves, allen keys for the bolts, 3 b-bs to drop into the allen holes (which make it impossible to put an allen key in), and very descriptive instructions.

The only downside is this is a very permanent thing, so if you want to change it later, you have to buy a new one, and the old one would be a real bitch to move. But ultimately this is the thing to use if you have to lock up in a driveway or sidewalk and have nothing solid to lock up against. It also is relatively low profile, so when the bike isn't there, you just have this little bump with a recessed D-ring. They also make a flush mount kit, but I never looked into that since I knew I was going to need a top mounted application.

Hope this is helpful or information to others.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Good to hear someone’s first hand experience with this! I had been looking into something along that line.... but wasn't sure what others had been using... now I only have one question.... How will my Apartment complex like the Idea of me drilling in to there parking lot! :twofinger :rolleyes: unfortunately I live in an upstairs apartment... so I cant possibly put the bike in my apartment... and where I live.... well lets just say.... it's known as the Meth lab/ex-con relocation town in the U.S.!:eek: :finger: WHAT A GREAT LOCATION FOR A BASE! WAY TO GO AIR FORCE!:finger: anywho... thanks scanevalexec :thumb:

:cheers:

~B~

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I'd never heard of that ,but it does seem like a really good idea.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Here is the thing... if someone really wants it they are going to take it. You are just making them work for it a little bit more.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Looks pretty cool, but as mentioned, if someone wants it bad enough it's as good as gone. What if they just cut through your chain or cable lock? Then you're left with a big ass anchor in your driveway, two halves of a cable lock, and no bike. :(

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a deterrant, but it would by no means make a bike 100% safe. I would recommend doing something like this inside of a garage, or under some kind of cover. If they don't see it then the temptation is not there.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
o|||||||o said:
Here is the thing... if someone really wants it they are going to take it. You are just making them work for it a little bit more.
Your point is well taken. If someone wants it, there is ALMOST nothing you could do to stop them. The intention is to make it difficult, and deter those looking for "easy pickins". I think an alarm system is another good way to make the job of grabbing my bike a real hassle. AND like most of you, I have insurance to cover if my deterants don't deter.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
scanevalexec said:
Your point is well taken. If someone wants it, there is ALMOST nothing you could do to stop them. The intention is to make it difficult, and deter those looking for "easy pickins". I think an alarm system is another good way to make the job of grabbing my bike a real hassle. AND like most of you, I have insurance to cover if my deterants don't deter.
Like I said above, some kind of cover or other means of hiding it would be effective also. :2cents:

·
Registered
645 Posts
I understand and totally agree but with where I live it's not the people who are out to steel a bike that I'm worried about... It's the crack heads and such who are out and see a oportunity for a quick buck... I am going to get a cover and bike alarm.... I've even thought of buying a enclosed trailer...(need a trailer anyways) and just store my bike in it... but this product is a little more budget friendly...:2cents:

~B~

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
spicersh said:
What if they just cut through your chain or cable lock? Then you're left with a big ass anchor in your driveway, two halves of a cable lock, and no bike. :(
I'd still have to use the big ass anchor when my insurance settled my claim. I would still chain the new bike to the same spot. I have limited choices at my house. So, sure they might cut my chain, but then again, someone looking for a loose bike will simply move on.

spicersh said:

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely a deterrant, but it would by no means make a bike 100% safe. I would recommend doing something like this inside of a garage, or under some kind of cover. If they don't see it then the temptation is not there.
I think this would be great in a garage. I use a cover right now with my bike. Very nice fit. I may at some point think about buying a cover that has a frame and folds over the bike, kind of like a tent. I will still use the StongHold if I purchase this other cover.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Good bit of info. The point of it is that the bike is not something EASY to steal & so others will pass onto more easy pickings.

While I have a garage I make it so said door cannot be lifted up if they can trip my code, for that is not connected, One has to come in through the S/W rear door with a dead-lock bolt on it, walk up to the inside front, PULL out a steel rod that will block the wheels of the lifing up motor, then hit the button. Then I roll the bike outside on the driveway, bring down the door, put the steel rod in again & walk to the S/W door, step out, lock it & then to my bike. Same procedure when I come home & want to get the bike inside.

Complications will have crooks walking on.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I've tought a monkey to hold a small knife and chained him up beside my bike. So now if someone wants is, they're going to have to fight a monkey to the death.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Monkies....thats a much better idea than my silverback gorrilla. Big B#stard eats too much.
what about attack geckos?

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
vigis said:
Monkies....thats a much better idea than my silverback gorrilla. Big B#stard eats too much.
what about attack geckos?
Not bad, but you need a pack of them to do any damage.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If anyone wants one of those Stronghold anchors, I have one at shop that has not sold. $20 + shipping, new in box. My own parking situation does not require one.

Email [email protected] if you want it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Tippmann said:
Not bad, but you need a pack of them to do any damage.
my house garage is infested with those little suckers...we put them there on purpose....and let me tell you...Roach versus Gecko no match at all.. :D

btw....i dont trust mechanical locks....can be picked i think a lock that requires a 50 digit code would be a safer alt

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
AudioSolstice said:
my house garage is infested with those little suckers...we put them there on purpose....and let me tell you...Roach versus Gecko no match at all.. :D

btw....i dont trust mechanical locks....can be picked i think a lock that requires a 50 digit code would be a safer alt
I like to use this formula

Social security number*3.14*square root of my height(in inches)*666*the Olsen twins birthday/2(since there's 2 of them)

It only took me 6 months before I finally figured it out and was able to unlock my bike. Although by then it was winter:(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After reading through most of the responses, I get the impression that my helpful idea was to most people a dumb one.

Also, if it is ridiculous to lock your bike since someone will take it anyway, should I just leave the keys in the ignition? As I said, I have no garage or other safe haven. Maybe I should quit riding since it is so stupid to even bother locking up your bike if you leave it outside.

If you were just joking around, I understand that, but I really was trying to be a part of the community and help others who might be in my predicment. Everyone already knows that someone could take a bike lock it or not. All the comments about how someone will steal it anyway is sour-grapes, and missing the point. Everyone here (most of us anyway) already know what would be a better choice if you had it, but I was suggesting for the garage challenged.

Sorry if that was being dumb.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I was glad you posted your review... it was something I was looking into anyways so your endorcement ment alot...:thumb: as for the rest of the thread... I think they were joking around for the most part... or were trying to make the point that it's not a great first line defence against theves... but I think we all agree that somethings better than nothing... Thanks again for your review...and keep them comming!:thumb:

:cheers:

~B~

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Yeah I thought it was a really good review/idea. If I could, i'd probably use one. I also didn't mean to come off like an ass, i just go off on strange tangents a lot.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Tippmann: Tends to try be humoris, but when it comes to typing & how others read it -----sometimes it is not that funny.
Sorry if I pointed out I use a garage for it is all I have done in my 57 yrs of riding, still I did say "good bit of info" which means I learned something & felt others might appreciate it as well.

Lots of chaps leave their bikes outdoors, so do not give up. Who knows but some might come up & say they to must leave the bike is in the open.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts