Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought it would be interesting to see what your rule of thumb was on scrubing in new tires,...nothing ?... 100 miles ?... sandpaper ?...big ol burn out ?...

------------------
texas tornado #2

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
When I get a new set I just take it easy for the first 10-15 minutes. Which is about 10-15 miles. After that they are good to go. :D :D

I run 207s'

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

[This message has been edited by Dan F4 (edited July 31, 2000).]

·
Registered
503 Posts
(street tires) i ride.. very conservatily for the 1st 70-100 miles... no most of the release compounds & other petrolium distilates have surfaced & are gone. i take it real easy on corners for another 30 miles of twisties or so.. leaning further & further over to gradually clean the edges.

------------------

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Considering 1-2 good 3 mile laps will scrub virtually all race tires, I would say that 25 miles or so should suffice if you feel that you ride hard enough to worry about it. Unless you live on a mountain, the ride to the mountains should pretty much take care of it. :)

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
296 Posts
I generally ride easy at first to scrub away the slick outer surface of the tire. One thing to consider though is that the most important scrubbing takes place on the edges where the tire rides while cranked over in a curve. Find some nice curves where you can crank it over gradually until you scrub as much of the tire as you can-being easy of course. You can see on the tire the areas quite clearly that have been scrubbed. Riding straight up will do no good. Once the surface is roughed up some, you're good to go-I'd say just a few miles. I run D207's on my F2, which I've dragged the pegs on frequently. There is still a small portion of my tires that have never hit the pavement-albeit small portion. Just never get agressive in a corner with slick new tires-or it'll be your ass that gets the scrubbin!
Ride safe, ride tomorrow!

------------------
Thomas

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts