Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am working on a salvaged F4i and it has some scratches on the frame which is black....powedercoated...I think....not sure...anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of an easy way to touch it up. I tried a flat black paint marker and it stood out prettty bad. Is there something out there to use on this application? Thanks in advance

Adrian Visnosky

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
If the scratches are not deep, I would just sand the area and apply some primer, it should fill the scratches, then paint. If they are deep, I do not know if bondo would hold up to well on a bike, but worth a try.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
duessel said:
Frame = Metal
Bondo = Metal repair

hmmmm, I think it would work.
That is all fine and dandy, but you have to take into consideration, that a bike has a lot more vibration than a car has. Even on a car, if you do not do a really good job..bondo can crack right off. I think he would be better off using a filler type primer and painting. He would have to sand...prime...sand again prime it and sand then paint. I could be wrong about the bondo thing, but I think it would screw up after a while, due to the vibration and the heat in the frame. Like I also said....it really depends on how deep the scratches are.....he may just have surface scratches. Heck, if they are deep....slap a boogie in it...let it dry ...and paint!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Guys, thanks for the advice....but they are just surface scratches....I tried the flat black paint....and it didnt turn out too well...I need to find something else....the flat finish was too flat....so I dont know what else to try.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
OK, try the primer/filler first and see if it works. That is definitely the easier way to go. Then, if it doesn't try Bondo or some type of metal filler that you can find at an auto parts store.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Go to a local shop!!! They can probably figure something out and blend it in for you. Let the pro's blend that for ya!!!!! It should not cost much at all. If your bike shop can not reccomend anyone, go to a body shop and they will either do it or know some shop that can. I doubt you are going to find anything in the local paint stores to match up to that powder coat. I would reccomend call The Eastwood Company i think it is eastwood.com, not sure, but they could give you the best answer and probably have a product to match up, if they do not....good luck.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Yeah, it might be a run around the match the coating they put on the frame. Sucks, but that comes with buying a wrecked bike. That is definitely my next step. Buying wrecked:thumb:

Some idiots loss, is my gain!:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts