Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question about exhausts on an RC 51..

i particularly like the angle the stocks cans come and if you get regular pipes to bolt on, they will come out at the same place.. has anyone had clearance problems wit this at the race track? i know alot of ppl like the high mounts.. but i like the way the exhaust sweeps up, like the r1, umm tlr, super hawk i think.. etc

anyhow, point being.. i i dont want to lose the passenger peg, incase i need to ride a cute girl.. ;) j/k but im not one for 86'in pegs or has anyone heard of those high mount, like moriwakis and retaining the pegs? wit/out anyone getting burned..

if this was a pure track bike who cares, get high mounts..but i like how they angle up..

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I don't like high mounts myself. I have not had any ground clearance problems at all. Some of the faster guys have ground pegs but most that have rearsets have done fine as long as they don't drop the front to far working with the suspension. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats another question i have, have you had to drop the front at all for any reason? shortens up the wheelbase a little right? whats that do? turn ins quicker? wheelie easier? harder?

thanks rcjohn, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to RC's how long have u had one? i really would like to make my final decision on twins and rc's, if its good, i want one, and i want one now, but cant seem to bring myself to buying a new bike.. if i cant, i think i'll settle for a 929, still great bike.. thanks..

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Gixxerboy said:
thats another question i have, have you had to drop the front at all for any reason? shortens up the wheelbase a little right? whats that do? turn ins quicker? wheelie easier? harder?

thanks rcjohn, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to RC's how long have u had one? i really would like to make my final decision on twins and rc's, if its good, i want one, and i want one now, but cant seem to bring myself to buying a new bike.. if i cant, i think i'll settle for a 929, still great bike.. thanks..
My bike is VIN# 129 if that helps you with how long I've had it. :D

I was one of the first. ;)

The guys/gals drop the front to help with turn in. First thing to do is raise the rear though. That requires either shims with OEM or aftermarket shock. If you just drop the front and go too far then you will create ground clearance problem. It improves turn-in by changing the geometry of the front(rake, trail, etc.) plus it effectively shifts a little more weight forward. That actually makes wheelying harder in theory but in reality it doesn't move weight much. It is a balancing act though, the more you drop the front or raise the back the more you lose in straight away stability. The RC is one of the most stable bikes out there under acceleration though so there is alot of room to play. Stability is where the added weight of the bike helps much like the Kawi ZX-7R. It is very stable too.

BTW, I wouldn't consider a 929 as settling. ;) An R1 yeah but not a 929. :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RCjohn said:

My bike is VIN# 129 if that helps you with how long I've had it. :D

I was one of the first. ;)

whoa..

RCjohn said:

BTW, I wouldn't consider a 929 as settling. ;) An R1 yeah but not a 929. :D
;)

and your right! i wouldnt either, but i mean finally settling on a choice.. hehe

and i actually think i want to raise the back of a bike a little too, im tall does that change anything? 6 ft to be exact, i weight 165..

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Gixxerboy said:

whoa..

;)

and your right! i wouldnt either, but i mean finally settling on a choice.. hehe

and i actually think i want to raise the back of a bike a little too, im tall does that change anything? 6 ft to be exact, i weight 165..
I'm 6ft tall too... mmm a little heavier though. :D

That will not impact raising the back. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
!

good...i would like to think i can benefit a little from an increase in rake..

and a little heavier? 185? j/k:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts