Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I very stupidly dropped my F3 on my street. Not one crack, but it scratched the right upper and lower fairings.
90% of the scratches are on on the decals. The rest are just little black smudges that will not come off! I never put decals on so I was wondering what I'm getting myself into first. I appreciate any tips for replacing decals and getting rid of the smudges.

Kenny

·
Registered
623 Posts
Can't really answer you questions there - when I got one of my fairings repainted and decalled, I got the professionals to do it. But I got a question for you: are the decals you have genuine new ones or are they made up by a local crowd?

Cheerz

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's the OEM decals. I posted some pics of my bike before the fall. The scratches are on the black stripe just below the brake lever and there are some on the "CBR" too.

http://kenny.sportbikeworld.com/photo.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Putting the decals on is no biggie. Just kinda common sense stuff, make sure they're straight. Getting the old ones off can be a real pain though. A heat gun helps and take your time. If you try to do them cold or go too fast they'll just come off in little pieces. I don't know how OEM decals come, I had mine made by a friend who owns a sticker shop. They came on transfer paper. Just peel off one side then line the decal up, make sure everything is placed right then lay them on. Rub them on with a squeegie, and peel off the transfer paper. Good luck! BTW, after you get the old ones off, don't go crazy about cleaning and waxing the surface. Clean off the old goo but don't wax or the new stickers might not stick.
justin

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
BE Careful!

Hey, Using a heat gun or hair dryer is ok on a car (Metal surface) But be really careful using heat on a plastic panel! DO NOT use gasoline to try to get the goo off either.

Also, when you are ready to apply the new sticker, just get a spray bottle full of clean water, add one tiny drop of dish soap and spray it on liberally to the panel. When you put the sticker on, you can move it into the exact position you want and the bubbles will come right out with a squeege.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Rock on Kyle, I did not know that. It's always nice to
learning something new in your own forum.

Thanks Man! :)
Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts