Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rented "sunshine" yesterday, and I gotta say its one of the best sci fi flics I've seen to date. It doesnt feel dumbed down like most stories of that ganre that get made into a movie, and it doesnt rely on evil aliens, or benevolent aliens for a conflict. For the most part the dangers of the hostile space enviroment are enough to keep the story going. The special effects are a touch cheap, but not too bad. The directing has that sterile, quiet feel of 2001 or solaris, except unlike the latter, its actually good.

Here is a trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ2-xR54UDU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrWuwVfqRYc

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They never go in to it, not even a little bit. Just say that what the problem is, and the only way to fix it is to deliever this thingie to it, end of story. In fact, it is very much bright throu out the movie, burning several things to a crisp.

However, I can take a stab at explaining that one. The sun doesnt have to be dying per se, rather, no emit enough energy to heat up our planet. The sun itself is a relativly cool 6,000k, while the corona is close to a million degrees. So it would stand to reason that most of the light and radiation we receive from the sun actually comes from the corona. The corona is heated up by sounds, pressure and magnetic waves coming from the sun's core. When those waves reach the surface they release their energy in the form of light.
The sun itself orbits around the galactic core, traveling thru interstellas space at 200km/s. If it was to travel thru a region in which something were to dampen those waves only slightly, the corona would cool, releasing less energy to the earth. It wouldnt require a gread deal of cooling to seriously screw up life on earth.

Perhaps someone that knows their physics better can come up with something even more believable.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
I saw the trailer for this. My only problem with it is the whole "Sun is dying - Earth is frozen" routine. If the sun is dying, it becomes a supernova and engulfs the earth. Where do their ideas come from?

I thought the current train of thought was sol is expected to merley enlarge and exfolate and cool off and die.
Isn't our sun too small to go nova?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Sun appears to have been active for 4.6 billion years and has enough fuel to go on for another five billion years or so. At the end of its life, the Sun will start to fuse helium into heavier elements and begin to swell up, ultimately growing so large that it will swallow the Earth. After a billion years as a red giant, it will suddenly collapse into a white dwarf -- the final end product of a star like ours. It may take a trillion years to cool off completely.
Picked a bad a point of contention with the movie, at least that one is explainable thru the whole corona effect thing. If you want something more unrealistic, how about floating into an airlock at zero g, and gravity resuming as soon as air fills it up?

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Picked a bad a point of contention with the movie, at least that one is explainable thru the whole corona effect thing. If you want something more unrealistic, how about floating into an airlock at zero g, and gravity resuming as soon as air fills it up?
What, you mean that's not what air pressure means?

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
If it was to travel thru a region in which something were to dampen those waves only slightly, the corona would cool, releasing less energy to the earth.
Or a high speed jet of x rays or gamma rays from the likes of a quasar like 3C273.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was very focused so as to avoid killing us all. But yeah, something like that.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well why dont you watch it and write up a critique

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
http://www.uni-sw.gwdg.de/~bruno/APOD/apod.html

http://spiff.rit.edu/classes/phys230/lectures/sun_gross/sun_gross.html

I was just looking at some serious sun data and pics a few months ago. Way better thn these but I cannot find the pages or sites now.

I have the feeling that if we ever evolve enough to study the sun more closely with some advanced instruments, and a stronger feel for quantum physics and magnetisim from the subatomic scale to the stellar scale, they are gonna find some serious stuff about all stars far beyon burning hydrogen.

Sci fi is what it is.
Rationalizing it in every movie is a waste of time.:)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
well why dont you watch it and write up a critique
I'll do that at some point. Comparing your notes and mine are going to be very interesting, IMO. You seem to be as interested in science as me.

Duner said:
Sci fi is what it is.
Rationalizing it in every movie is a waste of time.

The whole point to Sci Fi is the prediction of future events. If they stray too far from fact, it looses its point. At least, that is how I look at Sci Fi.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
The whole point to Sci Fi is the prediction of future events. If they stray too far from fact, it looses its point. At least, that is how I look at Sci Fi.
Most are just a story with the authors interpetation of a future enviroments.

I myself looking at this storyline would first ponder how mankind would survive dozens of ice ages and still progress with societies.

That just once alone would be a saga almost equal to a nuclear war.

An atomic bomb the size of a concert dome, to save our star.....
We would probably need to take a few hundred jupiters and zip them in a singulairity and pop them open in the center of our star to possibly save it.
And if any race had the technology to pull that off, they'd just be packed up and long gone before the star needed to be addressed.

·
Banned
93 Posts
I saw the trailer for this. My only problem with it is the whole "Sun is dying - Earth is frozen" routine. If the sun is dying, it becomes a supernova and engulfs the earth. Where do their ideas come from?
I am going to step out here and say what you meant was that the sun would cool and become a red giant and engulf the whole solar system. There by killing all but those who have space ships and leave the earth for [SIZE=-1]Rigil Kentaurus and start a new civilization.

:laughing::laughing::laughing: I hope they have major twisties there.

Is this movie on DVD?
[/SIZE]

·
Registered
17 Posts
I saw a little bit of it at a friends house. It didn't look too shabby.
The sun is in fact dying though. Since the sun is a star, and stars run on "fuel", it will eventually run out like all stars do. This won't be for about another thousand million years though :) It will turn into a Red Giant, then later collapse into what is called a White Dwarf. It won't turn into a black hole or anything because it's just not big enough. The only objects that are big enough to collapse into a black hole are Supergiants. These range from 10 to over 30 solar masses(the sun is one solar mass), and will collapse into a black hole when their fuel runs out.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ex machina? I thought the graphics were really cool, but the storyline was a bit weak in comparison to the previous.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts