Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brian, one of my co-workers, returned today after being in the hospital since Sunday. Last Saturday morning he woke up for work and noticed a bite on his foot. Looking closer it looked like a spider bite with two little prick marks. It didn't itch or hurt so he got up, dressed and started out for work. By the afternoon his foot swelled larger than his shoes. The next morning he could barely wear a sock, and he developed a 105 degree fever. At that time he went to the hospital to get it checked out.

The doctors found the infection around the bite was eating muscle tissue and feared the toxin would get into the bone...ultimately causing death. Their prognosis was to amputate the foot if things didn't get better in a reasonable time. After a large amount of medication and care, he was able to keep his foot and return to work today.

His Doctor told him what isn't published in newspapers and TV "yet", is funny, but serious. A "Flesh" eating spider has recently caused many incidents like this one throughout Michigan.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
almightys said:
is that the brown reclous (sp) spider?
Why yes it is.... They are actually not supposed to be in Michigan so it is probably some small variation of this spider. I think the farthest North they are found is Ohio. God bless the Internet huh?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Over_Dose said:
Why yes it is.... They are actually not supposed to be in Michigan so it is probably some small variation of this spider. I think the farthest North they are found is Ohio. God bless the Internet huh?
I would like to know how they determine what States the spider is in. I am sure it could be just about anywhere, you just do not see them often, cause they are tucked away in areas that are not visited to often.

If you even have a bite that resembles there bite, I would go to a hospital or doctor right away, if treated quickly, there is usually no problem and the issue is resolved without going through all the pain.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
UglyAngelX said:
I would like to know how they determine what States the spider is in. I am sure it could be just about anywhere, you just do not see them often, cause they are tucked away in areas that are not visited to often.

If you even have a bite that resembles there bite, I would go to a hospital or doctor right away, if treated quickly, there is usually no problem and the issue is resolved without going through all the pain.
The problem is that they are misdiagnosed and the doctors do not view a spider bite as threatening.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last year one of our vendors shipped us some material from their place in Texas. At no extra charge they included "two" black widow spiders. One was captured and given to the Macomb County animal control, and the other was given to Utica hs for their bio lab.

I guess we shouldn't be suprised these spiders can appear anywhere in the world.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
MrOrangePants said:
Last year one of our vendors shipped us some material from their place in Texas. At no extra charge they included "two" black widow spiders. One was captured and given to the Macomb County animal control, and the other was given to Utica hs for their bio lab.

I guess we shouldn't be suprised these spiders can appear anywhere in the world.
good point

we shipped a damn turtle and a reptile in some carpet. They must have crawled in the tube before they could be loaded, now a have a dealer with a pet

·
Registered
963 Posts
Over_Dose said:
good point

we shipped a damn turtle and a reptile in some carpet. They must have crawled in the tube before they could be loaded, now a have a dealer with a pet
LMAO..

We shipped a dead dog on one of our interior parts containers down to the H2 plant.. Must have crawled in it and died at some point. Looked like it had been rotting for about a week.. Twas nasty.. Does that count?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts