Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself =) I'm going to be taking the MSF course on the 17th, and I'm so excited! I'm in the Air Force and a lot of the guys drive motorcycles, and all their talk got me hyped up. I can't wait to get my license and buy my first bike.
I am just a tad bit worried because I'm 5'3" and 120lbs, but I still want a nice bike. Everyone I've spoken to has advised me to buy around a 600cc bike, which I've read is a bad choice for beginners, but I really don't like the idea of buying another bike in a year or two. So far I've narrowed my choices to a ZZR600, FZ6, katana600, or a CBRF4i (though it's a tad on the expensive side for me).
Thanks for any help/advice you can give me =)

·
Registered
609 Posts
What's wrong with buying a new bike in a year or so? Guess what? Not matter WHAT you buy, you'll be itching to step up to something nicer in a year or two.

Start off with a Ninja 250, Ninja 500, or even check out the new Suzuki GS500. They're plenty quick enough, but more forgiving than a 600 sport bike. Because they're lighter and more "flickable," you'll build confidence on them faster than a bigger bike.

Also, the market for used 250/500's is huge, you'll sell that bike in a matter of days.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, there's a lot of good info here, and good luck.

·
Registered
633 Posts
250 / 500 is great advice. Look for a used one and you can sell it just as fast when you decide to upgrade. :thumb:
There are plenty out there you just have to look.
Good luck and be safe.:D

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm 4'10, 95 lbs and just got my Ninja 500. It's got more than enough power for a beginner. I had to modify it for my size, but you should be ok height wise unless you have short legs. I went with the 500 over the 250 since I would have had to modify either one and figured the 500 would last me longer.

Overall what you get is your choice, but remember it's all about power to weight. You at 120 lbs will get a lot more out of the bike then say a guy at 180.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Welcome.
As for starter bikes, most of the ones you lister are fine, with the exception of the f4i. They all use relaxed suspension geometries, so if you trust yourself with the throttle you will be ok.
Also check out the z750, and by far my fav. starter the SV650.

I think you will find your desire to get one bike and never trade it, will fade very quickly...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,
I think I will have to agree with Crystal. A 500 will be more than enough. It has a comfortable riding position and it's agressive enough to hang with the 600's.
I started on a Ninja 250 and within 3 months I wanted to upgrade to something bigger, so a 500 would be the perfect start.

DeeLight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys, I think I will concentrate my sights on a Ninja 500... now I just need to find one to sit on =p The closest dealer is sold out, so I'm probably gonna head to Sacramento and see what they got.
Spent $800 today buying my gear x_x Helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. I went to Road Rider , and wow were they helpful! Found everything I wanted, they had a ton to choose from. Now I just need my license and a bike :cool:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Winterfall,
The ninja 500 is a great bike but the suzuki sv650 is even better and you may never outgrow it. It might be helpfull to sit on both and see which you are more comfortable with, like the best etc. You won't regret looking at a few in order to get what's right for you. By the way you may already know a ninja will probably cost less. Sorry I rambled, hope it helped.
Hoopster

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that's what one dealer told me, he said the sv650s is nice because it's... er... (i'm mechanically stupid so please bear with me) he said something like it was real easy through the whole range or something like that, whereas some others are real powerful at the higher range o_O I can't seem to FIND a stupid ninja500 to sit on, been to several dealers and they're all sold out, but i sat on the 650s and it seemed pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
860 Posts
We will need a lot of pictures of you to help decide what bike will be best suited for your needs.;)

Welcome to the world of Motorcycles! :thumb:

Since Monkeys not here someone had to ask..:twofinger:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol pictures eh? I'm sure that's teh MOST important part of picking out a bike ;) I'll see what i can scrounge up, but I'm nothing special to look at :p

·
Registered
312 Posts
Winterfall said:
lol pictures eh? I'm sure that's teh MOST important part of picking out a bike ;) I'll see what i can scrounge up, but I'm nothing special to look at :p
We'll be the judge of that. ;) What your dealer is trying to say about the sv650 is that it has more usable power whereas some smaller bikes are only powerful when you are running it hard.
One more recommendation would be to buy used because you WILL drop it eventually so new bikes are not always the smartest starters. Good luck and let us know how everything goes!
Hoopster

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Hey Winter! :hello:

As far as bikes are concerned, I would stick with one that is more forgiving than the new 600's (F4i, RR, etc..), the SV is a good choice, as well as the Ninja 250 and 500, and trust me, on base you will have no trouble selling a beginner bike when you are ready to move up.

The MSF is a great place to start, along with your gear. Does the AF still require you to take a seperate safety course on your motorcycle to be able to ride on base?

I would be very careful with decisions on riding buddies, if the crowd has the same mentality at the dorms as they did a few years back, you might find yourself in over your head rather quickly in regards to rides.

I remember two different incidents: one was on a ride out around Bereyessa, one of the guys had purchased a low-miles Ninja 600, had very little saddle time and ran off into a ditch a few miles into the ride because he was trying to keep up with the crowd (most had been riding for 5+ years). Another was a guy that ran out and purchased a brand-new GSXR and grabbed the throttle instead of the brake in the chow hall parking lot, ran up over the grassy area and slammed into the side of a car.

I'm not saying anything like that will happen to you, but just be careful of the rowdy mentality that seems to be rampant there! :thumbs2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts