Sportbike World banner

Saw this scratched up 2004 R1

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Wally 
#1 · (Edited)
Stopped by one of the yamaha dealerships around here to pick up a few things today, this R1 was parked out back. No one was around to tell me what happened to it but I snapped a few pics. I thought since everyone loves pictures I would post them. Looks like it might have just been dropped. Sucks to see this happen to such a brand new bike. Sorry for the size, kinda hard to see the damage otherwise.

See less See more
#2 ·
Lets see... brand new bike, freshly crashed (obviously a low speed laydown) sitting out back a dealer to be fixed.

I wonder how far that bike made it off the dealer lot before it got its first insurance claim.

There needs to be restrictions on purchasing a sportbike. And if you crash it driving it off the lot, you should be ineligible for an insurance claim.

#4 ·
Yeah, i'd say it looks too scratched up for a drop. Looks like a low speed crash. It sucks to see that new bike all beat up.:(

#5 ·
Speedboy3 said:
Somewhere the bike gods are crying.
I agree. I know when I was reading the latest issue of Superbike (a brit mag) and tha showed ther rider wrecking a brand new Honda 1000RR while tring to do wheelies at the first test, me and the other guys I work with where all thinking that it was wrong. Course that was just a Honda that the Brits wrecked and not a new Yamaha. Do you think work will give me bereavment days for that???

#6 ·
I've got a good one on this line...
My dealership had a Ducati 999S, yeah, the $23,000 one, that a guy bought. They warned him and tried to convince him to buy something else but he was dead set on one, even willing to take a 2 hour drive to buy one if they didnt sell it to him.
So they did. His first bike, first ride. From the front step of the dealership, over the curb, right into a light pole. The dealership was nice enough to buy it back from him for $13k.

#8 ·
ErichTheRed said:
Do you think work will give me bereavment days for that???
I like the way you think :thumbs2:

If only we could have the dirt on the rider. Ya know, years (or should it be minutes?) riding, gear he had on (assuming it was a low-side), cause of the drop (assuming it wasn't a low-side; I forgot the kickstand!), etc. If only the tarnished beauty could talk....

#9 ·
Just the start of the '04 riding season for many of us SO we are going to see a lot more of these new bikes being dinged up as so many are so new to the sport & MUST have the latest m/c they know is to be theirs.

That one about the Duke was good, yet when we go back to the start of '03 a lot of other ones came up to chaps killing themselfs in first time of being on a Harley or you name it. So be prepared!!!!!!

#10 ·
too bad you didn't get the info on the bike. i didn't notice a plate on it. i'd be curious to know whether it was a riders bike or maybe the dealer droped it on a test spin.

#11 ·
It had a plate on it with a registration sticker so I'm guessing it was sold to someone. The tires looked like they had been scrubbed in(not the sides though) but I would have been surprised if it had made it to its 600 mile oil change yet. I wish I had more info too, I actually did ask one person I saw walking by but he didn't seem to know or care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.