Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the new R6 and the new GSX-R600 at the dealer today and sat on them. The Suzuki looks........well, like a Suzuki. As you can tell I was underwhelmed, never been much of a Suzuki guy. The R6 on the other hand looked quite a bit better than the pictures portrayed it IMO. I tried talking them into letting me drive it home, but they said they have 3 deposits on it and the first one is coming in to pick it up. I guess I'll have to wait until next Wednesday when my dealer gets mine it.

I'm probably biased but I still think the R6 is the best looking 600 on the market, it may not be the 600 horsepower king anymore, but it's 90% rider in the middleweight class anyway. (I'm sure I'll say differently once someone on a new GSX-R beats me - then it's all bike!). Guess I better not let that happen :)

Chris....

·
Registered
525 Posts
what prices are the 01 600's going for at your dealership?? with the honda getting fi and dual lights, I think it's almost a toss up anymore for which 600 looks the best. handling and HP is another thing. I was going to start a list for best looking 600, but I don't know. I know the triumph 600 would be on the bottom.

trevor

·
Squid
813 Posts
I seen the new gixxser 600 and 750 today and like you I wasn't overwhelmed by them either. Don't get me wrong I'm sure there nice bikes, but I'm a yamaha guy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what they were asking for the GSX-R, but the asking price on the R6 was retail ($7999). I saw the new CBR at Willow Springs and wasn't too impressed, they are merely copying the other 600's at this point.

The new tail section on the R6 looked better than I expected, but still not too sure about the clear tail lights (I'm not into the "ricy" look on the import cars).

Chris....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I picked up my R6 last Wednesday an' have had th' greatest time! Well... til Sunday. Went down an' broke my ankle. Bike damage iz light cosmetic on left side. Two months in a cast, a month or two of rehab then back t'ridin'! I jus' wanted t'comment on th' previous opinions about da looks in th' 600's. The tail section of th' R6 iz th' best lookin' on th' market period. At least for now.

·
Squid
813 Posts
IamLisen said:
I picked up my R6 last Wednesday an' have had th' greatest time! Well... til Sunday. Went down an' broke my ankle. Bike damage iz light cosmetic on left side. Two months in a cast, a month or two of rehab then back t'ridin'! I jus' wanted t'comment on th' previous opinions about da looks in th' 600's. The tail section of th' R6 iz th' best lookin' on th' market period. At least for now.
Gees, at least you made it out of the dealers parking lot :D Let me guess, your first bike. :rolleyes: Your right the tail does look good if you shave off that nasty looking fender :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
jk6672 said:

Your right the tail does look good if you shave off that nasty looking fender :)
Actually you dont have to worry about 'shaving' off the rear fender on the new R6's. the entire fender just snaps off the bike instantly!

-------
arif

·
Squid
813 Posts
Yeah, I guess your right, since probably the blinker and tail light wires go through that round post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
jk6672 said:
IamLisen said:
Gees, at least you made it out of the dealers parking lot :D Let me guess, your first bike. :rolleyes: Your right the tail does look good if you shave off that nasty looking fender :)
Actually, it's my third bike! I had a KZ700 and a Ninja 600R back in th' day. I slid in oil on a freeway exit. When my tires hit da gutter I went into damage control mode, cuz I knew I wuz goin' down at dat point. Laid da bike down in da ice plants on its left side and I tumbled left. I think I broke my ankle by instinctually puttin' my foot down (duh) and it got caught in th' gutter an' turned. You actually don't have t'shave th'fender. You take out three bolts and it comes off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Iamlisen- has youis be lookin at dis dope webpage?

jk6672 said:
Hmmm... ebonics translator... As ludicrous as it may sound to such an astute young gentleman as yourself, I am unable to confirm that there has been any prior knowledge to, how did you call it, an ebonics translator? What is this thing that you speak of? And what, pray tell, are ebonics?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Re: Re: Iamlisen- has youis be lookin at dis dope webpage?

IamLisen said:
...what, pray tell, are ebonics?
Good man, I beg to differ with your application of English in this context. Anyone with any worthwhile grasp of proper grammatical protocol would know that this sentence, properly stated, would read: "...what, pray tell, IS ebonics?"

Have a nice day gentlemen. Carry on, carry on! :D:)

·
Registered
346 Posts
a spot of tea anyone~!? :D

jos..F

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well CBR Brutha, I must interject my good man.

If he truly did not know what Ebonics is, to say, "are" for a word that one would suspect was in the plural form would be appropriate. Ha!

·
Registered
1 Posts
1up5dn said:
I'm not sure what they were asking for the GSX-R, but the asking price on the R6 was retail ($7999). I saw the new CBR at Willow Springs and wasn't too impressed, they are merely copying the other 600's at this point.

The new tail section on the R6 looked better than I expected, but still not too sure about the clear tail lights (I'm not into the "ricy" look on the import cars).

Chris....
Well I've been shopping for my new bike out here in Los Angeles for the past few months, and the Yamaha dealerships that I visited when checking out the new R6s had a HUGE markup on the retail price.. yes, the MSRP is $7,999, but let's not forget that it is suggested, after all. I think the figure that I got (for the first 3 bikes that came in and went out the door the same day) was after markup, licensing, taxes, etc. the total came to $10,500.

Too much, imo.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Holy Shit that's insane!!

I got my R1 for less than that out the door... There's got to be a better dealer than that.

Ian

·
Squid
813 Posts
someone just needs to slap the stupidness out of those people for paying that kind of price. Ya know what they say, a salesperson can see/smell a sucker a mile away :D

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
???!!!

All I can say to someone who pays WAY TOO MUCH: Stupid is as stupid does!!!!
People like that are some of the ones responsible for driving the prices up for the rest of us!!
Consumers are ultimately the ones who set the criteria for dealers to set their prices at.
Example: look in your local paper;Playstation2's selling for (?) $500.00-$600.00 or more for an item,manufacture's priced at $299.00. Consumer demands drive the market prices!!
People should show a little patience,and wait and the prices will normalize.
'Nuf said!!!!!!:)
JIM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts