Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi ABRAXIS*BuSa*-

The wonderful and simple-to-use SEARCH feature is your friend! Click the link for plenty of details.

In a nutshell, I've used plugs on a few occasions and they've all been serviceable and performance of the bike was virtually unaffected. If I grabbed a nail in the center of the tread on fairly new tires...I'm certainly not going to toss them away when they've got thousands of good miles left on them. If the sidewall was threatened, that would be a different story. If it's in the center of the tread, I'm plugging it and simultaneously saving myself money in the process.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya the tire is still good it has like 3800miles on it, i just have a nervesness about it. I pluged it my self but that has me 2nd guessing, you know....

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
3800 miles and its still good? is this front or rear?

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
I've seen plugs last thousands of miles. However, my school of thought is, pay the $150 or whatever and get a new tire. Peace of mind is priceless.:2cents:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the tires i have on my busa are the ones that come with it and i have around 38 3900miles on the bike and the tires look pretty good the side wall is fine and looks to have a good amount of tread left on the back tire

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
they are a patch and a plug in once unit. They look like a big rubber thumbtack. The flat part being the patch, the point being the plug. extra security

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the one i have is the like long peace of rubberie stuff that you ram into the hole left by what ever impaled your tier... should i get a thumb tack plug or a new tire, the thing is i need to ride the bike for transportation reasons and I don’t have the money to get a new tire. i would like to get the same on that is on their but the dealer was asking like 225+ installation. i just dont have 300 to spend on a tire.. any recommendations....

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
What you used is an emergency patch, and its rated for about 50 miles as 50mph. Not great, but a life saver when you are out in the middle of nowhere. Ask a shop how much they would charge you to mount a tire (unless you got a friend with a tire changer) you can get a tire online for less than $150, check out ronayers.com or a few other retailers. If all else fails, at the very least, plug the tire using the thumbtack plug, also I suspect plugging the tire should be about the same price as mounting a new one.
What I did last time I had a flat, was take the tire off, plug it, and set it aside, replacing with a new tire. At that time the bike was my only source of transportation as well. So several months later, when my tire wore off, I put on the plugged tire, just to give myself a few weeks to come up with the cash for a new one.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi ABRAXIS*BuSa*-

If you feel there is plenty of tread remaining and the sidewall hasn't been compromised my recommendation is that you ensure that it was plugged correctly and continue to ride it until it is time for regular tire replacement. Don't ride around at top-speed and simply be conservative with what you do on the bike.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi ABRAXIS*BuSa*-

The mushroom-style / thumbtack-style patch suggested by Vash will be more than sufficient for basic transportation. The thing you'll want to keep in mind is that your tire is no longer suitable for runs up to 160 m.p.h. on desolate highways out in a hot desert...but it will do perfectly find commuting to work and doing errands.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Rear Tire

First of all, how the heck did you get almost 4000 miles out of a rear tire on a BUSA?! I can barely get 3500 miles out of a sport-touring compound tire (neither rear nor front) on my ZX-11, and you have way more power/torque. Amazing!

Secondly, your dealer is ripping you off with a $225 quote for a rear tire, without installation. A rear tire for your Busa, from a wide variety of different manufacturers, should not cost you more than $150. (plus install)

I've heard the rule of thumb for a tire plug is to keep the speed under 80mph. Definitely under 100mph. Honestly, that kind of limitation simply would not work for me and I'd have to be getting a new tire. If you can manage to putter around at low speed on that Busa, I suppose you could get by with that plug. But given the massive power of your bike and the constant temptation of applying said power, I'd get it replaced.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Ditto zx!

I think the difference between mine and blueys opinion might have something to do with chromosomes, or maybe relative maturity. I know the squid in the back of my mind is strong, and constantly urges tripple digit speeds, wheelies, stoppies, and other such behaviour. While I try to act responcible, at the end of the day its an act nothing more. I suspect abraxis thinks about it in much the same way. "I'll open her up, just this once". Lets face it, you didnt buy the busa to go slow, and if you are going to go fast, make sure that all your hardware is in order.

Edit: then again, there is the 3800 mile tire. Perhaps I was wrong and he is a conservative rider after all.. I just cant believe a tire can last this long.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
VASH.....ummm how long should my tire last.... i will post pic of the said tire tonight and tell me what you think... I thank you for you time and concern, this is by far one of the best forms i have ever been on... But that said, should i get a tire quote online and present it to my dealer and see if he will match it or just order the tire on my own and have them put it on for me... I do push my bike and sometimes the squid urge is strong in me but, most of the time I am on the highway and I ride around 90-100mph on average. The bike is like 2.5 months old, I have a long ride to work,round trip is like 60-70miles a day…

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I get about 2500 miles out of rears, 3000 max. Fronts last about 4000-5000 miles, also this number is dropping quickly as I'm getting more comfortable with braking into corners. For note, I run perelli diablos, sport touring tires last much longer. My Avon t46 would've gotten 8000 miles on the rear if it wasnt for that dreaded midcorner nail.
Look for wear marks on your tire. They are a little bridge inside the groove, sticking about 2mm over the depth of the groove. Once the tire surface is worn down to the grooves, its time to change the tire. See pic

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya the little briges are starting to come up so i asume its time to just change the thing out then. i like the brigestone tires that come on the bike,if i can get some money what do you think i should get...Whats the deal with the tires you get?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts