Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, is riding a motorcycle more dangerous than driving a car? Or is the risk about the same?

Just want to hear some opinion on this topic.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Riding motorcycles is more dangerous than cars. Statistics prove it. There are many factors that affect the level of danger though. Motorcycles require quite a bit more coordination and concentration than a car. They require almost continuous coordination of both hands and both feet. Another problem is that cars don't pay attention to bikes very well. We fit in the blind spots of cars too well. We do have advantages over cars in avoiding some crashes because of our quicker accelleration, smaller size and better braking(with experience). We are at a disadvantage in many cases too, such as on slippery surfaces(ie, oil, gravel, etc.). :)

I hope this answers your question. I'm sure you will get more info. :)

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Depends.
Most say there are 2 kinds of motorcycles, ones that have been down and ones that are going down. But I have also heard that statistically, if you haven't been in a car accident by the time you turn 25, you are playing the odds.
If you get into a wreck in a car, you have more metal that can provide protection for you. You get in a wreck on a motorcycle, your protection is basically what you are wearing on your body (t-shirts and flip flops seem stupid when you think about huh?).
But a motorcycle has better "escape qualities" ie faster acceleration, quicker stopping speed, and is a bit more nimble that most cars.
Many people say that they have a hard time seeing motorcycles due to their size and the speed they operate at, but these are probably the same people who can't see cars and pull out in front of them or change lanes without looking or using blinkers.
The risk is probably greater due the the fact that a motorcycle can go faster than most cars and more motorcyclists do exceed 100mph, but that doesn't mean they are going to wreck.
Just my .02. Have I written a lot and not answered your question yet?

·
Registered
129 Posts
what all stats are out there. I think the only one I have heard of is that you are more likely to die in a motorcycle accident than in a car accident. That makes sense to me.

I had to deal with this because a 14 year old kid who didn't have his license pulled away from a stop sign not seeing the motorcycle coming which caused my dad to hit the hood of his pickup at 40mph. My dad had to attent his wedding with both legs broken and had to have his right ankle welded shut, so he could never again do anything athletic. Needless to say when I told him I was getting a bike I got lectured for a long time.

As far as I am concerned I think if you pay more attention, know how to deal with advanced manuevers, and know the limits of your vehicle you can be relatively safe. In my car it has always worked for me to assume everyone is an idiot and can't drive.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Vector, you name the primary stat that actually means something. Stats are easy to manipulate but the one you mentioned is hard to argue with. :(

·
Registered
244 Posts
No, they're not.

Maybe I'm just being naive but I think that (depending on the conditions) motos are just as safe as cages. If you ride 'em properly and if you're always on the lookout for the idiots on the road, you'll fare just fine. You take more risks on a bike, but that doesn't mean they're more dangerous.
Catch my drift?
Ride Safe, Bro

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Erik,

You are being naive. ;)

Why would you have to be constantly on the lookout and watching out for the other idiots if it weren't more dangerous. You realize that they are more dangerous but you stated exactly how to counter that fact. It is the very thought process that has kept me upright on my bikes for well over 35000 miles spanning the last 5 years. My motto, "Every car is out to kill you!" :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
So basically what you're saying is I'm right! :)
Wouldn't the motto "every car is out to kill you" automatically make one a safer, more aware rider?
And would that not reduce the risk?
Whan the risk is reduced, does that not make bikes less dangerous?
I'm just wondering. It seems to me like we're arguing over nothing! :)
Ride Safe

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
No, it sounds to like you two knuckleheads are arguing over the same thing. Chicken or the egg? :)

Answer me this, why did you type If you ride 'em properly and if you're always on the lookout for the idiots on the road

Do you pay more attention when you are on your bike or in your car? Personally, not that I am inattentive in my car, but I am much more attentive on a bike. If so, why?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I said that because if one were to ride with less than full concentration, then they would be more dangerous. If one rides safely and attentively (not necessarily defensively) then I believe they are just as safe as cars (weather and surface pemitting).
Anyone else want to challenge me? I am the reigning champ. HAHAHA!!!! :)
Ride Safe

·
Registered
193 Posts
RCjohn said:
My motto, "Every car is out to kill you!"
This is the only mention of this fact so far. I have been driving a car for almost 8 years and have NEVER had an experience like I have had on a bike after 1 MONTH of driving. I was lane splitting (legal in CA) and had some a-hole cager actually TRY TO HIT ME!:mad: For this reason alone bikes are more dangerous than cars let alone the rest of the reasons mentioned earlier. 50/50 rule guys: 50% of the people don't see you and the other 50% are TRYING TO KILL YOU! (Stolen and used daily off SBW)

·
Registered
193 Posts
GixxerSixxer said:
...I believe they are just as safe as...
I seriously hope you are joking. And if not...why does it say, "MUTILATED 2000 Suzuki GSX-R600. Bummer." in your profile, hmmmm?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I guess you got me there

No... wait...YOU DON'T!! Actually, Carvin, my bike was totalled be a stupid woman driver (no offense). I was a half a mile away at the time. See the thread "So, this whore hit my bike" in the Daily Rider Forum.
I tend not to lane split. It's too damn scary for me. :) I'll stick to Malibu Cyn!

·
Registered
54 Posts
As safe or dangerous under what conditions?

The physics of the issue dictate that a motorcycle is less stable than a car, and is therefore more difficult to keep under control. Thus, a motorcycle is more "dangerous" under less than optimum enviromental conditions, i.e. rain, wind, road crap, etc. Under optimum straight line conditions, a motorcycle's superior braking and acceleration render it safer, although it is not as safe as a car when it comes to cornering.

In an accident, a motorcycle provides less protection for the rider than a car does, although this is not always a bad thing... (more later).

With equally competent and attentive operators, a car is "safer" for the occupants, marginally more dangerous to the rest of the world. Unfortunately, as others have noted, a motorcycle operator tends to pay much more attention, which means that the motorcyclist is less likely to cause an accident, and less likely to be involved in one. The consequences of the accident are likely to be worse, with one exception... (more later)

Motorcycling rewards continued skill development moreso than driving, so as time progresses, motorcyclists tend to become better operators than most drivers. Also, motorcycling's demands are such that "marginal" operators tend to leave the sport, unlike drivers. Thus, once you get beyond the pool of inexperienced operators of both vehicles, there is a much larger RELATIVE pool of skilled motorcyclists vs. mediocre motorcyclists than with cars.

Now, I've teased y'all twice now with the situation where a motorcycle is less dangerous than a car. Water. Launch your vehicle into a lake, canal, river, pond, etc and you are much more likely to survive if you're on a motorcycle, instead of in a car. The car will vastly improve the chances that your drowned carcass will escape major physical trauma. :(

Remember, 90% of drivers think they're better than average drivers... :eek:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have barely ridden my bike in traffic, but I will say I was equally attentive as I am in my car, only I paid attention to different things. ie. In my car I assume people see me coming whereas on the bike I assume they cannot see me and drive accordingly. Also around town at slow speeds I have the attitude that when someone pulls some bonehead maneuver I just keep going and think, "go ahead hit me I need a new bumper and wouldn't mind your insurance paying for it." Whereas on the bike it's more "damn you just tried to kill me"

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
GixxerSixxer said:
I said that because if one were to ride with less than full concentration, then they would be more dangerous. If one rides safely and attentively (not necessarily defensively) then I believe they are just as safe as cars (weather and surface pemitting).
Anyone else want to challenge me? I am the reigning champ. HAHAHA!!!! :)
Ride Safe
I'll take the challenge since your argument just solidifies everyone elses point except your own. ;)

Basically you are saying that you don't have to have full attention to safely drive a car but you do to safely drive a motorcycle therefore if you use the same level of attention driving a motorcycle as you did in the car then you are putting yourself in a more dangerous situation. :)

Everyone gets your point. If you are a good motorcycle rider then you can make yourself pretty much as safe as you are in a car... until you hit that unseen oil spill in the road at night while doing the posted 45mph in a blind curve on your motorcycle. If you were in your car it wouldn't be a problem but if you hit it on the motorcycle you will likely go down. Oh, oops I just shot another hole in your theory. :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Re: I guess you got me there

GixxerSixxer said:
No... wait...YOU DON'T!! Actually, Carvin, my bike was totalled be a stupid woman driver (no offense). I was a half a mile away at the time. See the thread "So, this whore hit my bike" in the Daily Rider Forum.
I tend not to lane split. It's too damn scary for me. :) I'll stick to Malibu Cyn!
Oh yeah...I remember that thread...I just did not remember it was yours. Sorry about your bike, but I am glad to hear it was just a "whore" and not your ignorance as to which is safer.;)

Seriously though, you never did justify your stand when I talked about people actually TRYING to hit you. I would like to hear your opinion on that.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well, I think that lane position is key. If you're not lane slitting (very dangerous. No escape route) and you position yourself so that cars can see you and you have time to react, just in case, then you'll be alright. You just have to stay aware of what's going on around you. Kinda like riding a pedal bike on surface streets. Youa have to make yourself known.
Ride safe

1 - 20 of 30 Posts