Sportbike World banner

Have you taken a beginner MSF riding course, or equivalent?

• Yes

Votes: 157 64.6%
  • No

Votes: 86 35.4%

• Total voters
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Congrats to you. The course helps to be aware of a safer way to ride. Although a lot depends on where you are and who is around you. It is the little things that can make a big difference.

Now send some of that 90 degrees to Maryland so we can ride a little more comfortable, please?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I just took one a couple of weekends ago. It's a state requirement here in Maine to operate a motorcycle. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
We have a new system in my state, whereby, if you've had your cage licence for 3 + years, you can do a bike course (3 - 4 days) and (if you pass it) get an open bike licence.

Buy a 1200 if you like.

No previous riding experience necessary.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I never took MSF, but I had lots of dirtbike experience.

For new riders, MSF is probably a must, but for people who know about bike geometry, as relates to varying models, MSF is probably just a way to give money to an organization that's in bed with the local MVD.:2cents:

I'm not anti-MSF or anything, but only trying to say that it's not like one will absolutely die if they don't go to MSF, provided they have experience on bikes of some type. It's worth noting that they make a lot of money off of fear.

[/Soapbox]

·
Registered
57 Posts
wheelie123 said:
I just took one a couple of weekends ago. It's a state requirement here in Maine to operate a motorcycle. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

I think this a Great thing.
I took a 2 day 9am to 6:30 pm Saturday and 9AM to 5PM Sunday. I grew up on a Dirt Bike and Riden mainly cruisers. I am also planning on going back to take their advanced riding course as well.
It was at a Honda Rider Education Center. I felt the instructor was very good and attentive to what you where doing wrong and how to correct it.

It seems there are to many times on the Road where things come up, the "emotion" takes over or "knee jerk reaction" due to lack of skill or time in the saddle then it's too late. Training/Refreshers course I feel help everyone.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have found that the peoplw that need the class the most are people who have been 'riding for years'. You can never learn too much. I use to take the course every 2 years (BRC or ERC) and had fun everytime.
Now I'm an instructor and love watching people learn a sport I love and the ones who thought they knew it all before the class say how much they learned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here in WA state, if you take the MSF course and pass, you just have to go to the DMV within 180 days and pay to have the endorsement added to your license.

And much like the post from Austrailia, it's open displacement, no restrictions.

I took the course to find out what I should be doing on a bike, instead of venturing out on the roads with no experience at all. I figure I'd at least have a shooting chance of surviving to gain some knowledge of riding, rather than getting myself killed quickly!

·
Registered
526 Posts
riding since 3

ive been riding since 3 years old, now 38. lots of MX riding and been on the street since age 15. never took the MSF till last year mainly for cheaper insurance rates. Even after all the years of riding class was great. definately something all new riders should take.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My parents won't let me get a motorcycle, so no, at least not yet. Right when/before I can get a bike I'll deff take them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Alex Steadman said:
My parents won't let me get a motorcycle, so no, at least not yet. Right when/before I can get a bike I'll deff take them.
They provide the bikes. You don't need one to take the course. Not to mention your parents may see it as being pro-active and responsible and trust you to have your own motorcycle.

HERE is the link for your area course.

Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ive taken it but i havent passed it(not that i face planted or anything). and ur wondering why i own a bike... i have my m1permit and im learning right now.. dont get me wrong but i did learn a lot from the course. right now im puttin away the 150 so ill enroll again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Si-lo said:
They provide the bikes. You don't need one to take the course. Not to mention your parents may see it as being pro-active and responsible and trust you to have your own motorcycle.

HERE is the link for your area course.

Good luck.
Thanks, I've already looked into it.

I'm just waiting until it's closer to time for me to get my motorcycle, because I don't want to take it now, wait two years, then get one, because by then I'll have forgotten everything haha.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I didn't even know there was such a thing back in 87. I made my wife take the MSF class before allowing her on the street. I also took the advance class just for shitts and giggles to find I always have something new to learn.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I havnt taken a course. But I will as soon I get my license, and money for the course. From everyone I have talked to, they say its a must for beginners.

·
Registered
109 Posts
chels said:
I havnt taken a course. But I will as soon I get my license, and money for the course. From everyone I have talked to, they say its a must for beginners.
Use the class to help with getting the license. I think some states wave the hole test while others only wave part, with completion of MSF class. In N.C. You have to take the written test and skip the driving test with MSF card.

·
Registered
265 Posts
With FL, once you complete the course they give you a card which you take to the DMV, pay an endorsement fee(like 5-10 bucks) and you get it on your license.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am in Canada, not sure how it works, but I think I need to write my beginners first, then I can do the course. If I do the course I dont have to do a riding test for my M2. We have a weird system with three levels, at least for cars, I am guessing its similar with bikes. For cars we start with out G1, which means no highways and driving with our parents, G2 can do everything but drink and drive, thats a driving test with the ministry ot transportation, and then the G test. Not sure what restrictions are on the motorcycle one, but I know there is M1, M2, and full M.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did take a 2 day MSF class and passed the test with flying colors. I had to take the class to learn to ride since I had only been on a bike as a passenger and never thr ridr so I had no idea what to do.

Since then I have taken 2 advanced MSF classes too and enjoy them just as much since I get to use my own bike.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts