Sportbike World banner

Have you taken a beginner MSF riding course, or equivalent?

• Yes

Votes: 157 64.6%
  • No

Votes: 86 35.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
I dont think there was one available to me 25+ years ago
when I got my license...:(

·
Registered
865 Posts
jj2f1 said:

But, have you taken anything like it since?
No, I have missed out on two California Superbike Classes
due to various reasons (cancelled & broken collar bone) but
plan to in June (again). But I don think that would be the same.:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yup.

Took it three times starting in 97 with 2-year implements. Passed all three times (the second time with a perfect score). I took the class everytime I thought I was able to buy a motorcycle. Guess the third time was a charm, because that's when my wife bought me a Ninja for Father's Day last year.

Come to think of it, the SC driver's manuals/test preps they hand out? Whoever wrote the section on motorcycles didn't know squat. Probably hit something on account that he/she suggest you use the REAR brake for most (well as the book reads "Normal" stops). In fact I got two or three questions wrong on the DMV permit test because I answered according to what I was taught in the MSF class.

Anyways, there's been talk about restrictions on motorcyclists, well, moron's on motocycles due to some squid who wheelied, then wrecked his brand new R1. I think it should be mandatory to take the MSF class before getting a bike. Just recently in SC, you get your license after passing the MSF class. Besides, the MSF is taking a budget cut and they need support. I say cut out the DMV testing for Motocycle licenses and give the contract to the MSF.

Oh well... Monday, and work calls.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recently participated and passed the MSF Course out here in California. It was great!! I took the class to first to learn how to ride as safe as possible and second to see if I really wanted a motorcycle. All I can say is yes now I really want one! Now I just need to convice the wife ;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm thinking about taking it this year if I get a chance. I rode offroad/raced MX since I was 11 (I'm 21, now), and I got a perfect score on my MC license test, but I know I'll still learn something if I take it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
In md there is usually a long waiting list but you can just show up at the msf class and be a stand by. If someone does not show up, then you can slide into the open spot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Standby

...a VERY good point you raise about standby. As long as you know the Course manager would accept you on that basis. In my course, there were one or two no-shows on the (Saturday) second day, after the (Friday) evening classroom part. I felt that the way my Course's classroom section was conducted could have been greatly improved. I speculate that the Saturday no-shows were discouraged by the flood of information. Too bad, if so, because the two days of learning to ride were taught by a splendid group of instructors. Absolutely top-notch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MSF Course

The course was awesome. I had great instructors. I plan on after getting more expirience to go throught the ERC.

Levi

·
Registered
142 Posts
I havent taken it. I would really like to but it's only offered here like twice a year and both times, I was working. One day, I will take it though, regardless of how long i've been riding by then.

·
Registered
142 Posts
One thing that pisses me off about the course though is this.....A few months before I bought my first bike ( several years ago ) my roommate got a warrior 4-wheeler. He was given the option to take the 4-wheeler saftey course and if he passed, would recieve $75. Course costs were $0.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, taking it on April 4-6th. Can't wait ! Decided it was the best way to learn... even though my grandfather and uncle both ride. I wanted the experience.. and the 10% discount on insurance, and the fact that I dont have to take the DMV test as well. :D

·
Registered
699 Posts
I am taking it this December. I am upset of the fact that last year the price was $120, and now it has jumped to $180!
If money permited I would have taken a year ago. Oh well, 2 years ago I thought I really did not need it since I've been around bikes the last 7 years. I think it would be awsome to attend this class.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Just graduated my msc today. It had to have been at least 90 degrees on that parking lot. I feel like I am about to have heat exhaustion from riding on that parking lot for two days. It was definately worth the time.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts