Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of you guys dont care about the chopper thing but Larry was a great guy. I am posting this here because of our love to stunt our little bikes and the feeling that we all have thinking that they are so small you cant get hurt. Larry was doing some slow stunts, fell and hit his head. One thing to remember is that he was not a rookie at this. He had been doing stunts for years as a stunt man in Hollywood.

Larry passed away at 3:30 am this morning. :(

'Indian Larry' hurt on stunt in Cabarrus

Builder of custom motorcycles airlifted from county arena

MARK PRICE

Staff Writer

A custom-motorcycle builder known to Discovery Channel viewers as Indian Larry was seriously injured while performing a stunt Saturday at the Cabarrus Arena and Events Center.

Cabarrus County officials said the stunt driver sustained head injuries and was in critical condition after being airlifted to Carolinas Medical Center. A CMC official couldn't confirm his condition.

Indian Larry has been featured on Discovery's Biker Build-Off television series and was at the arena to perform stunts during the three-day Liquid Steel Classic and Custom Bike Series.

"He was riding and standing up on his seat," said Mike Downs, Cabarrus County deputy county manager. "The bike started to wobble and he was not able to regain control."

Indian Larry fell off the bike before a crowd of about 8,000. He was not wearing a helmet. Paramedics were standing by at and aided him until he could be airlifted to CMC, Downs said.

The show continued, but all other stunts were canceled, Downs said.

Indian Larry is known for his eccentric nature, according to his official Web site. His résumé includes movie, video and television.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
:(

·
Registered
211 Posts
:( as well

mini-bikes can be just as dangerous as bigger bikes. the same safety precautions should be taken.

everyone please consider wearing a helmet, even when riding your pocketbike around a parking lot.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
:( That really sucks, Larry was the absolute best at building the old school choppers. RIP, you will be greatly missed Larry

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Yea this hit home pretty good with me...I am the biggest offender of riding lil bikes with nothing on...just plain sux....dude had mad skills....

·
Registered
385 Posts
Damn... We were just talking about him this weekend at the shop
:( :( R.I.P.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
He rode through Morgantown WV and on down WV 250 through Phillippi, filming the ride down there for a Discovery Channel show. One of my buddies from Morgantown rode his chopper on that stretch with him. THAT sucks but really, no helmets? What do you expect?:(

·
Registered
246 Posts
how fast was he going?? I wouldnt think that falling off one of those things with normal speed would give you concussion at most :confused:

·
Registered
267 Posts
RIP What a shame...Definitely a great artist with a true sense of where choppers came from and what they were really about....:(

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
halik said:
how fast was he going?? I wouldnt think that falling off one of those things with normal speed would give you concussion at most :confused:
those things? what is that supposed to mean?

he fell off the seat and landed right on his head... you could fall down walking down the street and hit your head the same way and have the same effect....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Trigga said:
those things? what is that supposed to mean?

he fell off the seat and landed right on his head... you could fall down walking down the street and hit your head the same way and have the same effect....
i somehow got the idea he was doing it on a pocketbike... whoops

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
halik said:
i somehow got the idea he was doing it on a pocketbike... whoops
well even that... ask Fudge what it's like to fall off a pocket bike..hell...sometimes thats worse... your all twisted up and have zero time to try to save your self...

bottom line... wear a helmet.... skin heals and bones mend but your dome aint something to chance.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts