Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the local paper:

6:30 p.m. Oct. 4, Sinclair Road and Freeway Drive: Police reported 16-year-old Curtis Klingbiel, of 5209 Roche Drive, died at the scene of a motorcycle-car accident. Police said Klingbiel was riding a motorcycle south on Sinclair when an Acura Integra going north on Sinclair tried to turn left into Ramson Square, a shopping center. Klingbiel's motorcycle hit the right front corner of the Acura, then fell to the pavement. The Minerva Park medic unit responded and pronounced Klingbiel dead at 2:01 p.m., police said. Klingbiel was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident. Police have filed no charges in this, the 40th auto fatality of 2003 in Columbus. They said they were continuing their investigation.

A couple of things make this particular story painful on a personal level. (1) This kid lived in my neighborhood and I saw him riding all the time. He always had a helmet on and I never saw him ride like a squid; he had a Rebel 250 that he was just learning how to ride and he always looked happy on his bike. (2) Tuesday, on the local radio station, his younger brother called in and requested the DJ play "So Far Away" from Staind for his brother who had just died. He was all choked up and could barely speak. It was enough to make you weep. I feel really sad whenever I think about it. :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
damn, its sad he never got to experience the true art of biking, sigh, i hope i wont go through the same thing when i start riding.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Unfortunately living is gamble & sometimes things go against even those that try their best.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
It's always a sad day when a prospective long-time rider passes on. Sorry to hear about our loss.

·
Founder
4,761 Posts
Shit. :(

Columbus is my "Home Town where I grew up" and while all motorcycle deaths hit me hard, this one hits a little closer to home.

Rest in peace Curtis.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Police have filed no charges in this, the 40th auto fatality of 2003 in Columbus
the guy hit him while turning, should be his fault.

the 40th death, while all death is sad, 40 in october is really not much at all, I would think here in ft.lauderdale we reached that in january

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
So sad.

What a sad story. That really sucks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I never knew the guy, but still, this story hits me hard for some reason. I'm dling So Far Away right now...I think this site should have sort of a section dedicated to fallen riders; perhaps a section where you could post a photo of the individual and a little memorandum, everyone could put in a good word about the person, or a heartfelt message...anyone agree?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts