Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadness as Harriet's race ends

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin and staff at Australia Zoo are in mourning after the sudden death of celebrity exhibit, Harriet the Giant Galapagos Tortoise, at the age of 176.

Harriet had held the Guinness World Record for being the oldest living animal in captivity and the zoo held special celebrations for her birthday each year.

It was believed that Harriet was collected by Sir Charles Darwin in 1835 from the Galapagos Islands during his scientific research which resulted in his Theory of Evolution.

She had been a major attraction at Australia Zoo for almost 20 years, where her favourite food was hibiscus flowers.

Irwin said Harriet's passing would be sadly mourned as she had been "a huge chunk" of his family life.

"I have grown up with this gorgeous old girl and so have my kids," he said. "She was possibly one of the oldest living creatures on the planet and her passing ... is not only a great loss for the world but a very sad day for my family. She was a grand old lady."

Recent pic of Irwin, his wife, Terri and Harriet...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I thought the same, or mabey his kid since he does the same stuff with her. Poor old turtle. I wonder if it was just old age or something else? Did that guy with the dog from that other thread visit AUS recently?!?!?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

That's a great find, cooketree. Harriet the big tortoise almost looks like she knows she is among friends in the photograph. She has her head sticking out and she shows no fear at all. That kind of longevity is just amazing. Hopefully she is at peace in turtle heaven someplace.

It's the same way when people purchase a pet parrot. It's something you better do as a youngster because those birds can easily reach 80 to 90 years of age. Most people make arrangements in their will for who will inherit them!

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Blue Jays said:
It's the same way when people purchase a pet parrot. It's something you better do as a youngster because those birds can easily reach 80 to 90 years of age. Most people make arrangements in their will for who will inherit them!
It better not be me in that will!!! Damn... I hate birds lol.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's extraordinary to imagine the things that have happened in the world since Harriet was born, which is estimated to be in 1830, the same year as poet Emily Dickinson.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I think the real reason why Harriet died is because she wrecked her harley at bike week.

Lord, I apologize for that one there, and be with all the starving Pygmies down there in New Guinea, Amen!

·
Registered
271 Posts
JBaz said:
I guess you never saw 'little nemo'?
I think you are mixing your undersea Disney adventures, there. I believe you mean Finding Nemo, as opposed to The Little Mermaid. :D

Being a turtle, I'm sure she was clueless as to the passing of time (the aforementioned movie notwithstanding), at least as we reckon it, anyway. Most of us will be lucky to make it to half her age, though. Can you even imagine what it would be like to have been born long before the industrial revolution and to have lived through all of the changes that have happened since? Wow.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I think animals have a conception of time. I mean how else would they know when to migrate and when mating season would be? Turtles travel along ways just to reproduce each year, and leave at the same time each time, so they must know it by seasons atleast. Anyways, poor turtle... having to live with that nut for so many years:twofinger

·
Registered
271 Posts
SepiasSoul said:
I think animals have a conception of time.
But not in the same way we do. And they certainly don't obsess over time the way people do, either. Sure, they know day and night and can tell changes in the seasons, etc. and the things you mentioned. For them, it is all instinctual. That was why I said, "the way we reckon it".

Ever notice that the more advanced we become, and more accurately we are able to measure time, the less of it we seem to have? :D

JBaz said:
I still stand by my question. 'little nemo' see it or not? lol
You got me there. No, I haven't seen that one. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts