Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So does anyone else get pissed off when seeing rust? Following advice from a Hornet site, I decided to spray WD-40 on most of the metal parts where rust tends to appear. I then wiped down the parts with a cloth so as to leave a thin coating. While riding the following week, salt spray from wet roads got all over my bike. I just began cleaning the bike today and haven't seen the rust damage that I expected.

Anyone else use WD-40 in this manner?
Any other products out there to prevent rust?

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I use Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. It can be put on all parts, even the rubber and such, and leaves a protective film including UV inhibitors. I ride my '90 CBR in every kind of weather and at 71,000 miles (all in the last four years) it still has many people thinking it's new. Most are amazed when they realize the vintage as well as the miles. All I do is wash it with dish soap, dry it with a towel, run a couple of miles to blow out the water, and then a quick wipe down with the spray applied sparingly. Once a year or as required, I'll apply the stuff liberally to get it into all of the hard to reach areas. Applied directly it is an excellent brake dust and bug and tar remover. What's not commonly known is it's also good for athlete's foot and coughs due to colds.;)

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
nick_nolastname said:
Dish soap will strip the wax off your bodywork.
True, but using the polish each wash handles that. The stuff is so easy to use I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'll testify to Dad bike looking super clean and just like new. Dad showed up at a track event with the CBR and it looked like it just came out of storage for the past 12 years.
I started using WD/40 to get some bugs off the front for my bike and it worked great, I waxed over it afterwards. I've done this numerous times and the paint is fine.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Thanks for your support GS.:D That stuff does everything WD-40 does, plus some. All of the little stuff like bolt heads, master cylinder fasteners, joints, levers and hardware, etc. just stay nice. Plus, two to three cans get me through a year. Another no-no I do is use a soft paper towel to work with the cleaner. Washing it removes the gritty dirt so it's not building up in your polish cloth, then a direct spray on the tough stuff with the broader areas getting coated from the residual in the towel, and a final quick rub from a clean towel to polish up the main parts. Good luck.:thumb:

·
Registered
168 Posts
are you aware that the military invented WD40 to prevent oxidation on ICBM's. WD40 stands for Water Displacment-40

·
Registered
340 Posts
Water Displacement

Yes thats what WD-40 is primarily for. I don't think it prevents rust very well though, aside from removing the water. I would use a spray like rust check, or something of that nature thats designed to leave a coating to protect from rust.
I grabbed some white silicone grease spray to spray on my hard to reach and clean metal parts on the bike (the spots you can't see). I use WD-40 for water removal from my chain, and other spots it can creep in with rain riding, and then I use Rust Check, or a penetrating oil to leave a protective coating on exposed visible surfaces.
I just wish they would make everything out of aluminum and stainless on the bike. I would pay an extra grand or two for that.
I am a rust NAZI, I hate it and it drives me crazy to see it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
There are all kinds of legends about the invention of WD-40. Its not as good as it use to be though. They've changed it a bit. No more propane for a propellant. It works good for displacing water. I use Thrust from Castle. It clears water just as well but seems to prevent rust a bit better. I regularly wipe down metal parts with the stuff. Not the iron rotors though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Smoke Eater said:
There are all kinds of legends about the invention of WD-40. Its not as good as it use to be though. They've changed it a bit. No more propane for a propellant. It works good for displacing water. I use Thrust from Castle. It clears water just as well but seems to prevent rust a bit better. I regularly wipe down metal parts with the stuff. Not the iron rotors though.

I saw the history of house hold products on the....well the history channel!!
No more propane!!!! :mad: There goes the propellant for the potato cannon!!!:mad:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Potatoe Gun?

Now we are talking. One day while killing time waiting for my plane to be fixed we (a group of pilots) were hanging out at the Kenora Air dock in Kenora Ontario. Well we were trying different propellants in the gun, and boucing potatoes off the side of the SS kenora (steel hulled ferry) what a bang that was making. Hairspray worked great, but I think we had the best results with ether??? Well it was the stuff we spray into the carbs of the old tractor to get it going, I think it's ether. It's called "Quick Start" make sure your gun is well constructed. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a sales manager at our dealership who would consistantly take in trades on bikes that the body work was faded, rusty, etc. He would take a couple of cans of WD-40 and spray the entire bike down and leave it for a day or two. Then he would come back and give it a good wash and detail. Man, he could bring a bike back from the dead with that stuff.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Inter Continental Ballistic Missle. ICBM = Dont screw with USA.
I always heard WD40 was invented to keep tank ignitions dry. I have no idea if thats true.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to race radiocontroled cars and after every race i would wash them down with water, then with WD40 to get rid of the water and always got sparkling results, however i believe there is a product by Castrol that is more eficient that WD40 in protecting metal parts.
It´s name has something to do with "motowash" or something.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts