Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey a buddy just bought a 95 katana 750 (ugly bitch) But what the deal is it runs like shit at an idle and wants to die. Not sure where to start. The bike set for 2 years before he got it. It won't really idle at all without the choke, if you get into it it runs good but just won't stay running at stop lights. So here are some problems

1. Wants to die at idle
2. With choke on idles at about 4000 rpms, no happy medium
3. Set for 2 years
4. Yosh pipe and supposedly jetted, not sure.

Where the hell do I start? He don't have alot of money. And limited knowledge. :confused: :crying:

·
Registered
135 Posts
couple of more questions you should ask, how old is the gas that's in there? When's the last time the carbs have been cleaned? After sitting for two years gasoline turns into a gumy type varnish and clogs up those carbs nicely. Also old gas doesn't ignite properly. Another thing it could be is your idle setting screw, or quite possibly a vacum leak around the rubber carb boots. It could also be fouled plugs, or bad sparkplug wires. Pull the plugs and take a look at the color on the tip, should be a tan brownish color. If it's black or white then it's missfiring, or is too rich. Then check the airfilter is clean which also greatly effects idle.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mike_drz said:
couple of more questions you should ask, how old is the gas that's in there? When's the last time the carbs have been cleaned? After sitting for two years gasoline turns into a gumy type varnish and clogs up those carbs nicely. Also old gas doesn't ignite properly. Another thing it could be is your idle setting screw, or quite possibly a vacum leak around the rubber carb boots. It could also be fouled plugs, or bad sparkplug wires. Pull the plugs and take a look at the color on the tip, should be a tan brownish color. If it's black or white then it's missfiring, or is too rich. Then check the airfilter is clean which also greatly effects idle.

Cool, I'll have him check those. I know he's not still running the old gas but as far as gummy residue left in there who knows. I do know he went out and bought some 100 octane fuel to run through it, don't know if that will help or hurt. But I will give him the message to check the plugs and check for vacuum lecks and the air filter and stuff. Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
100 octane is a waste and it will do more harm if it's gummed up..
They need to come off and get dipped over-nite...
Also, they may need to be synch'd...
If it has a ton of miles the jetting orfice tends to enlarge over time...
Go buy a gallon of chem-dip at autozone and soak them overnite

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tribby said:
Cool, I'll have him check those. I know he's not still running the old gas but as far as gummy residue left in there who knows. I do know he went out and bought some 100 octane fuel to run through it, don't know if that will help or hurt. But I will give him the message to check the plugs and check for vacuum lecks and the air filter and stuff. Thanks
Octane rating is not a measure of the "quality" of gasoline... Running 100 octane in a Kanatuna is like wiping your ass with Kleenex... it works, but is a waste. It is probably dirty carbs, which will need to be removed, cleaned and/or hot tanked... If it still runs like crap after the carbs are cleaned, then it is probably because it has been rejetted incorrectly. In addition, the first thing you should do when you buy a used bike is change the plugs and the oil/filter, regardless of if the former owner claims they were just changed...

·
Registered
237 Posts
carbs, fuel filter, and maybe some plugs and she'll be good to go. maybe an airfilter too while you have all that stuff apart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
definetly the slow speed circuit in the carbs. remove, clean thoroughly and reinstall. dipping may work,but while you have them off, you may as well disassemble them and give them a proper cleaning.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
it is a vacuum leak....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
almightys said:
for sale looks like crap and doesnt idle
best offer
LOL
He got rid of it and spent some real money I'm trying to add picture so be patient.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tribby said:
He got rid of it and spent some real money I'm trying to add picture so be patient.

Is there a trick to uploading photos am I missing something it keeps telling me the file is to large??:mad: :mad: :confused:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Change the format to .bmp since its probably a Jpeg right now, and those tend to be larger files due to the increase in quality. Anouther thing to do is tweak the size of the picture. Import it into MS Paint and change the length and width under image- strech/skew, you change it via percents. Good luck.

Sepias

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SepiasSoul said:
Change the format to .bmp since its probably a Jpeg right now, and those tend to be larger files due to the increase in quality. Anouther thing to do is tweak the size of the picture. Import it into MS Paint and change the length and width under image- strech/skew, you change it via percents. Good luck.

Sepias
I think I got it.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts