Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's seems to be a massive difference of opinion in just how to run an engine in.

Well, with the new Hypermotard arriving TODAY :eyebrows: you want to shed any light on how you lot would recommend running a bike in?

Have heard about 3 methods so far this week including doing a fairly gentle track day (Seems like just an excuse to me but who knows) but the overwhelming feeling is that you don't follow the manual...

So....

1.) Softly softly?
2.) Follow the manual?
3.) Track day?
3.) Ride it like you nicked it?

Any other ideas??

:cheers:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
more confused

Talking to people who have lived, breathed and raced bikes, the "follow the manual method" doesn't work the engine hard enough early enough.... :dunno:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A light hearted look....

Ha ha - Just got sent this by a mate of mine......

1. don't crash
2. stop looking at urself in the shop windows when at lights
3. don't rev it to much and don't hold constant rpm for too long let it hunt a little ...
4. back off all suspension settings to allow bedding in through the full stroke
5. go for a long ish ride soon as possible
6. double check tyre pressures ASAP 18yr old spotty mechanics are hopeless at the little things
7. run a good quality mineral oil for the first thousand k's dumping each K until @ 4k travelled and then use best oil possible /compatible
8. stop laughing so much to urself when riding

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
haha, sounds much more educated than my "read the manual" approach. Have fun on the new ride:cheers:

edit: spelling, oops

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Lucky bastard...

I'm somewhere between follow the manual and ride it like you nicked it.

I had a mate who swore that you needed to bed everything in like you were always gong to run it. Right or wrong, I don't know, but it almost made sense.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Im close friends with an experienced mechanic, maby ill grab his opinion tomorow just to see... I mean he hasnt raced bikes, but he IS full of knowlege about anything with an engine. Just see what he has to say, yea?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup....

By all means - that'd be great

May have already gotten most of the way to running it in by then though!!! :burnout:

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Gotta say, Chum, I thought you'd been around bikes long enough that you'd know everything about bikes, including how to run 'em in. I'm somewhat disillusioned now. :twofinger

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yeah my thoughts are with your buddy Chum, similar to running in a new set of pads (which you also have :p :p).... a few short cycles of increasing heat without going too crazy on the throttle.

- Vary the revs as much as possible, nothing too high and don't labour it but make it work
- Mineral oil for the first few thousand k's then get the good stuff in there
- Run for 30mins then cool and again for the first 2/3 cycles

...and in reality it's what you feel best with as no one really knows.... and don't forget the guys from the shop have probably already done the test ride into the red through all the gears, so don't worry too much
:crying: :crying:

Don't forget it's a Ducati with an engine not far removed from a John Deere. So throw in some diesel, wrap some chicken wire around the rear seat and she'll be fine!!!

So all I need to do now is get up there to bludge a ride :D :rolleyes: :D

Post some pics too.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good point!!

That's a very good point, exremely well presented....

The 916 I bought second hand so didn't have to worry about that

I ran the 996 in as per the owner's manual - all very carefully..

And the Fireplace wasn't around long enough before getting nicked!!!!

To be honest, It wasn't even an issue until someone showed me this...

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

and that's where it all started...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and for my next trick

It all started off here but I thought it deserved a new thread.

As you can see, BP's already had his 2c worth....

:D

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Agree with GD? and dissagree with BP?

Not a wise move:moon:

Getting a good seal on the rings is the objective for breaking in today. In the old days it was to settle all of the crap tolerances and it took a month:wtf:

If I had a van:
1. Fit race plastics, crash bungs, decent pads, decent hoses, decent brake fluid, decent rubber, rearsets, clipons and wire the sump.
2. Take it to the track on a Friday morning with the stock oil in it.
3. Ride it for 20-30 mins letting it spin up on full throttle to 80% rpm and NEVER let the engine labour in a high gear.
4. Have a bacon sarnie, a cup of tea and a few fags or a wank (around 1 hour).
5. Ride it for 20-30 mins letting it spin up on full throttle to 90% rpm and NEVER let the engine labour in a high gear.
6. Have a double cheese bruger & large fries, a litre of fat coke and a few fags or a sleep (around 1 hour but longer of you were on the piss last night).
7. Ride it for 20-30 mins letting it spin up on full throttle to 95% rpm and NEVER let the engine labour in a high gear.
8. Have a piss and a dump, drink loads of any liquid available, change the oil and filter for the synth oil of choice (around one hour unless your usless with a spanner).
8. Thrash it to the red line in every gear for the rest of the session.
9. Go home and fit an Akra or Yoshi Japan full system, PC and have it dynoed.
10. Thrash it to the red line in every gear at every available opportunity as often as your wallet, job and partner will allow.
11. Sell it after one year and start all over again :D

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
so what part of the "scot"stratergy is going to bed in the nikasil ... :squid:

And pray tell which bit of my rant do you disagree with Tugster??
The essence of my rant is that the article author is talking bollocks if he seriously reckons the rings are forced "out" by the combustion gases.

If that were the case then why dont they develope pistons that have a special hole through them to behind the ring.

Theres a limit to the "amount" of seal a ring can provide given that the piston is traveling at a gazilleon miles per hours past the cylinder wall. Seal = contact= friction= heat & wear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts