Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some new front brake pads and they lightly rub against the disc...it's a constant rub, so the rotor isn't warped or anything.

How do I keep that from happening...or is that supposed to happen?

I know the factory pads that were on the bike did the same thing...

Thanks...

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
I honestly don't know, just a thought though: did you disconnect the brake lines from the rotors? Do you have after market brake pads? or maybe there just to thick for your aplication

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I'm no professional, but I can tell you that the front pads do drag just a tiny bit on my bike, all the time, since it was new. Just enough to hear it is all, not enough to actually slow the wheel at all. I think its just the way the system is designed; for the pad to 'rest' against the rotor...

·
Registered
987 Posts
ConR, it's perfectly natural for this to occur; however to minimize this its always a good idea to thoroughly clean the pistons and the inside of the caliper with some brake cleaner and a toothbrush. Also clean the rod that retains the pads. If it's rough, use a point file or emery cloth to smooth it. Clean the backing plate also. I remove the old pads, clean the inside of the caliper and the exposed part of the pistons well, and then put the old pads back in, and use them to force the pistons back into their cylinders.
I wouldn't go so far as to remove your new pads & do these things, but try them next time....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts