Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to sport bikes but have been riding dirt bikes and street bikes forever it seems now. I just bought a 1995 cbr 600f3 for my first sport bike. My question is when you are just cruising at say 45 or 50, whatever the "speed limit" may be, what RPM do you hold the bike at? Where is the engine happiest to run at? I know on harleys and stuff you keep it low but that its totally different on a sport bike. To me it seems to be around 5-7000, is that correct?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
At that slow a pace I like to be running at 5 grand on my Yamaha 600r & on the Honda 929 that means gurggling along at 4 thou so always down a cog or two.

Often when I have traffic around I will go down another gear & let the revs go up a bit higher so I have the flex in the engine so I can scoot if I need to.

Actually your f3 has a decent mid-range power like my 600r so they are somewhat the same.

·
Registered
860 Posts
i usually try to keep my engine RPM either below 5000 or above 6000 because b/w 5000 and 6000 its like the engine vibrate oddly...i think most honda 600's do this

·
Registered
20 Posts
lol "cuising", what's this word :D

on a sportbike it's impossible, with my old ninja ZX6R 2000 I was nevers under 5000rpm, too hard, that nearly 60mph on 6th gear.
Under there's no toque, it's too dangerous, this type of engine likes to be at more than 12000rpm ;)

·
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph
6,322 Posts
on my 929 just causually riding at 55 mph in no hurry and not needing to play leep frog... I'd have her in 6th gear and the rpms are around 4 thousand.... if I slow down to 45 I'd rather down shift to 5th and maintain the slightly higher rpm... she doesn't like to be in the 3 thousand area (the get up and go factor doesn't seem to be hendered too greatly she will still scoot with the twist of a wrist but the engine just seems to sound happier at 4 and higher :D )

E.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
4-7k on my yzf 600 rides just fine:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts