Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a product that will briten rough cast aluminum? I have tried aluminum wheel cleaner, but it doesn't do anything...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I have never seen one. I thought you were talking about a frame. I would have to say that you would have to sand to take the roughness out of the metal.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
866 Posts
maybe I'm missunderstanding, but are you just trying to make it look clean, or do you want it to be all shinny and stuff, if you just need it clean, get some engine degreaser

·
Registered
101 Posts
Once again back to S100

S100 has an engine brightner that works GREAT... then spray it down with the corrosion protectant spray, it withstands heat, wont fly off, or dry up, and will help keep connectors from becoming corroded.
Easy tip, DONT use a high water pressure, rinse well and make sure its throughly dry, a leaf blower works wonders then run the motor for about 5 minutes to dry up remaining water. it will make the alluminum look great and keep the cast black the original color instead of that worn out looking grey.
Good luck!
~Melody

·
Registered
101 Posts
SilentNEKO said:
if you just need it clean, get some engine degreaser
Be careful doing this, it CAN (may or may not) dry out hoses. While degreasers are great for our cars useally the chemicals are very harsh and can help time break down vital hoses and plastics on your bike. While once in a while shouldnt have a terriably bad effect on the bike repeated use can harm. and God forbid you get it on the paint... not rinsed off properly and you may have a good excuse for having to get a new paint job... (may or may not be bad??:D )

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the tips. Yes, I don't want it to be "shiny" just "bright" It's the engine, so there is no need for a "Shine". Any brand names or product names in particualr?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
WHEELS

i got a 91 gsxer getting ready to be tricked out. i had purple wheels, the outer part of the wheel was smooth but the inner parts, spokes, hubs etc was a rough textur. i used about 2000 grit sandpaper to smooth it out and went to 3000+ to "polish it out" afterwords i got a drill and some alluminum polishing wheels to "buff" out the "scratches" and then a s**t load of mothers polish, looks smooth .. real nice

good luck!!!!! remember! stock sucks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Plymouth said:
Does anyone know of a product that will briten rough cast aluminum? I have tried aluminum wheel cleaner, but it doesn't do anything...

Thanks!
Scotch brite pad works really well on textured metal finishes

1 - 10 of 10 Posts