Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey cool ducati guy, or big busa guy, sorry you're the only two I remember from the meeting talking about longer trips.

I'm getting in the mood to go somewhere, i hate being home and all this rain is making me super stircrazy. Are you guys planning some big trips anytime in the near future?

Some things I've been reading up on:

Americade Motorcycle Rally <- Looks awesome!
The Laconia NH bike week
Deals Gap
Barber Motorsports Park
AMA Motorcycle Museum near Columbus OH
Bike trip to Cedar Point
trip to DC
The govenor of Idaho promoting his state for riders
June's issue of Rider Mag, 3 stories about bike camping

What do you guys think? Stircrazy?
:thumb:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Laconia is a blast...I've made the trip both when I lived in NJ and while I was out here. It was probably a long trip when I went from here but it would be cool with some others.....The people watching was cool but once the AMA stopped racing there I stopped going and started heading to Road America in Wisconsin. If you decide to go, let me know and I'll try and remember some details....

Justin

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
ohhhhhhhhh daniel im down for a cedar point ride, lets set up a weekend, my girl will really want to go shes been begging me to take her to cedar point (cause i went without her like 4 times!)

motocross? this weekend? call me james

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
I'm always up for a weekend of riding. As far as the road trips go, I'm down for just about anything. There is going to be a long haul trip, about 2000 miles, coming up during 4th of July. Details on that are being worked out. But there are two ways of doing road trips, trailering the bikes to your destination and riding to your destination. Both require good amounts of planning.

Trailering is sometimes better, but less fun because you are in the truck some of the time. But it is better as you don't get fatigued very easily. Ask me about that later. For example you have a support vehicle with lots of tools, ramps, gear, and whatever you may need. In other words you have back up in the unfortunate incident of someone in your party going down. Having room is a luxury.

When you ride to your destination, it is a different beast. You need to have enough room on your bike for tools and clothes. Clearly there is very limited amounts of room. I think I have it figured out to where all I need is a tail bag and a tank bag. The last few years we have gone to New York City, West Virginia, Deals Gap, to name a few. But you need to be sure you are in shape, and your body can handle the physical demands. It might sound weird, but it is true. You will be amazed.

What kind of road trip did you have in mind? We can easily put together a road trip to say West Virginia. With hauling the trailer it is only about 10 hours away. Personally, I like WV better than the Deals Gap area. Then you must assure your bike is in good mechanical order. The standards like brakes, tires (ahem, Chuck), vital fluids, and the like.

Then you have to consider what you want to do on this trip. You need a good mix of riding and doing touristy things. Just about anywhere I haven't been is a good destination for me. I say this because sometimes when you've done 300-500 a day for two or three days you need a day of rest.

I think a WV trip is in our near future.:D

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DocThee said:
I'm always up for a weekend of riding. As far as the road trips go, I'm down for just about anything. There is going to be a long haul trip, about 2000 miles, coming up during 4th of July. Details on that are being worked out. But there are two ways of doing road trips, trailering the bikes to your destination and riding to your destination. Both require good amounts of planning.

Trailering is sometimes better, but less fun because you are in the truck some of the time. But it is better as you don't get fatigued very easily. Ask me about that later. For example you have a support vehicle with lots of tools, ramps, gear, and whatever you may need. In other words you have back up in the unfortunate incident of someone in your party going down. Having room is a luxury.

When you ride to your destination, it is a different beast. You need to have enough room on your bike for tools and clothes. Clearly there is very limited amounts of room. I think I have it figured out to where all I need is a tail bag and a tank bag. The last few years we have gone to New York City, West Virginia, Deals Gap, to name a few. But you need to be sure you are in shape, and your body can handle the physical demands. It might sound weird, but it is true. You will be amazed.

What kind of road trip did you have in mind? We can easily put together a road trip to say West Virginia. With hauling the trailer it is only about 10 hours away. Personally, I like WV better than the Deals Gap area. Then you must assure your bike is in good mechanical order. The standards like brakes, tires (ahem, Chuck), vital fluids, and the like.

Then you have to consider what you want to do on this trip. You need a good mix of riding and doing touristy things. Just about anywhere I haven't been is a good destination for me. I say this because sometimes when you've done 300-500 a day for two or three days you need a day of rest.

I think a WV trip is in our near future.:D
Lots of good info, thanks man :thumb:

WV would be awesome. I'd really like to try a full riding trip, to try to get more aquainted with my bike. Having Marched Drum Corps last year, I know what its like to live out of a suitcase, I did it from May 31st to August 18th..haha.

Are you guys planning on going out to royal oak this thursday? If so, I'd like to meet up for dinner and talk about some things. I'd like to learn what you guys know, so I can spread it when I go back up to state.

And Ducky man, you're from madison heights right? I used to live around 13 and john r, Just near Page Middle school and the rubber burning plant. If i see you around I'll wave..haha

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
xdbx said:

And Ducky man, you're from madison heights right? I used to live around 13 and john r, Just near Page Middle school and the rubber burning plant. If i see you around I'll wave..haha
Uh, yeah. You can call me Doc or Anthony. Ducky Man just doesn't do it for me.:twofinger

I live in the sub near the nature center.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got it, but remember, I"m the motherf*ckin juggernautttttttttttt

My girlfriend lives down there. Down the street from the Really old jeep with the michigan jeepers stickers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
the only problem I see with whats been discussed so far is 1. bringing a companion, I hate having my g/f on the back for 15 minutes much less 2 hours between tanks, so a trip like cedar point would most likely have to be riders only, it'd be sweet though. Talk about an andrenaline junky afternoon.

Other than that, you have to be real careful about running out to wv or something on a bike is the weather. You are almost certain to catch rain on some point of the journey so if you're ok spending a few hours under a bridge if it gets real bad thats ok, but you would be better off trailering.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
on a voyage like that, I dont have so much a problem with trailering as I do with getting a trailer that carries that many bikes, getting a towvehicle that will tow it. All these trips I'm trying to plan out suck, because I can tow 8k pounds, and 2 bikes in the bed, but I have a bench seat and a sad excuse for a back seat in an extended cab dakota. Not to mention with trailers I get single digit mileage.

From those pictures, i get the idea that between this club, and the fact that you're all oldies and have established lives ( :D ), you'd be able to find everything we'd need for a sweet trip. So I guess I"ll just shut up and wait for you to plan something, unless you'd like some help calling hotels and such

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
It is all about rain gear. We've ridden hundreds of miles in the rain. When all you have is your bike and you have to be back home by a certain time, and, you're a thousand miles away. You ride.

Worry not young grasshoppa...a trip to come soon.

When we went to WV it rained the first day there. The second day it was beautiful. The weather there is funky because of the mountains I guess.

·
Registered
237 Posts
hey xdbx if you have room for 5 or 6 bikes with a trailer I've got an LHS that'll hold gear and such for everyone +me and 3 other people in real comfy style. or I might be able to squeeze out my dads pilot (track day towing vehicle) for a long weekend. that'll hold up to 7 people if we pack light and haul 3-4 bikes.

·
Registered
966 Posts
For a quick weekend trip to WV (can be there in 5 hrs) I'll put the bike in the back of the truck. For a week long trip, I'll ride the whole way. Nothing like pulling into another little town with just your bike and a few necessities.
Besides, who needs a support vehicle......just take it all with you. :twofinger

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
Chuck has a 16' enclosed trailer...if you have four bikes in that, then a bike in the bed, passengers, and gear. You have some serious weight. It takes some time to tow all that. We thought we could make it to Parkersburg in like 6 hours, it took us 10 or so. It took me 5 1/2 hours in my truck to the same place. The trailer takes a little longer...you cannot go the same speed on the freeway.:2cents:

·
I like my bike like I like my girl - Nekkid
1,142 Posts
DocThee said:
Chuck has a 16' enclosed trailer...if you have four bikes in that, then a bike in the bed, passengers, and gear. You have some serious weight. It takes some time to tow all that. We thought we could make it to Parkersburg in like 6 hours, it took us 10 or so. It took me 5 1/2 hours in my truck to the same place. The trailer takes a little longer...you cannot go the same speed on the freeway.:2cents:
You guys must be using the wrong trucks to pull it then :)

-Nick

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
trailers arent rated to go that fast. The rubber bands on my utility trailer are rated at 65, but occasionally forget its there when its empty and set cruise at 70, but nothing ridi culous:thumb:

·
I like my bike like I like my girl - Nekkid
1,142 Posts
I have towed probably 15 different trailers, and they all are rated at blah blah blah, i set cruise at 70-75. Its not that big of a deal, just be safe and start stopping way ahead of time.

And go buy a 3/4 or 1 ton turbo diesel and get 15mpg with all that stuff listed above.

When you overload a truck then your askin for it.

-Nick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts