Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read an article in Maxim magazine's online site called "Road Killers". It pissed me off to no end and I wrote the editor an e-mail telling him how I felt and so on. I haven't mailed it yet because I want you to check out the article and see what you think.

go to: http://www.maximonline.com/articles/default.asp?article_id=1376 and search under motorcycle

A copy of my letter to the editor follows:
I just finished reading your "Road Killers" article from issue #20. I just wanted to say that, if you don't have any experience on one of these machines, then you should get some. Before you go espousing this kind of information for people who most likely have no idea what these things are capable of doing to them, you should know more about them than you obviously do. I know 3 people who died this past Summer because they listened to information like this and bought a bike that was too large for them. You promote these machines as ways to get to work on time when you're running late because they can go "three miles a minute". I'm not making personal attacks here, I just want to make sure that you realize what you've said there.

These bikes are made to go that fast, yes, but they were NEVER intended to do so on public roadways. These are bikes that have ungodly amounts of power, and, when used in the right place, can be highly enjoyable. I have been on bikes for 10yrs. I have owned a Honda CBR600F3, a CBR600F4, and have a '01 CBR600F4i on order. A racetrack is the ONLY place where it is appropriate to travel at the afore-mentioned speeds. I have wrecked a bike in my experience as a rider. It is almost a natural part of sport biking. The wrecks that do occur should happen because of an unseen road condition or something along those lines. A wreck occurring at 160mph because the operator of the bike couldn't stop in time to avoid the kind of dangerous situation that can and WILL present itself is a really stupid way to die. You should have named this article "How to become Road Kill".

Please, in the future, make it known that these machines ARE dangerous, and motorcycling is a progressive sport. You start out small, take some classes, an MSF course or two, until you are completely comfortable with your abilities and the abilities of your machine. Then you slowly move up the ranks to bigger bikes, until you've found your limit, of which every man/woman has one. I am happy on 600's. Some people are happy on big-bores, etc. Just be more responsible in the way you present potentially life-changing information next time. Thanks for your consideration.

[Edited by CBR Brutha on 10-31-2000 at 07:26 AM]

·
Registered
380 Posts
well, as usual, it is a politically-incorrect article by Maxim. They thrive on writing ultra-macho articles and encouraging all guys to get the best, fastest, meanest, most hard-core things around. Safety and common sense be damned! It's generally a good magazine, but I'll agree with you, the article wasn't exactly filled with the best advice. Bscially, they're telling the reader to go get one of these, because then you have the biggest, baddest, "fastest rods" around.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I read the road Killers Article and did not feel it was that bad. Yes, they are prompting these bikes as the end all highway machines but thay did not state they were to be used in that manner. Many people buy things just to have the capability not necessarily to use it. Let's face it the number of people capable of using all an R-1 has to offer is almost 0.

I strongly disagree with the e-mail about crashing being a normal out come of sport bike riding. I have riden over 200,000 in the last 20 years without injury. One minor crash when a car turned left into me. I was 2 up and we both were uninjuried. The point is with proper training, MSF, track schools etc., riding is a very safe sport and sport bikes are safer than any other bike. I believe this due to their superior handling, braking and acceleration. Riden responsibiliy an R-1 is among the safest bikes going.

Ride safe, Ride hard
NCVFR

G

·
inanima said:
well, as usual, it is a politically-incorrect article by Maxim. They thrive on writing ultra-macho articles and encouraging all guys to get the best, fastest, meanest, most hard-core things around. Safety and common sense be damned! It's generally a good magazine, but I'll agree with you, the article wasn't exactly filled with the best advice. Bscially, they're telling the reader to go get one of these, because then you have the biggest, baddest, "fastest rods" around.

I agree , But before this article was written , there were still Guys buying bigger bikes that they can handle, And even when this article will be forgotten, There will still be Guys buying bigger bikes that they can handle. I think it's genetic.. I think we share a gene with Lemmings, Kinda like the same behaviour that makes Lemmings jump off a cliff to their death ..... :D

I think Maxim is just trying to exploit this, This is no worse than selling Sex in commercials ......

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Eh - I don't think the article is out of line. I'm not a big Maxim fan just b/c I think that rag is geared towards knuckle draggers (Go ahead flame away...)

So, they know their audience. Anyway my beloved R1 got some more recognition - NOTE Honda guys - Even MAXIM!!! thinks that the R1 is better, Now that's gotta be gospel! ;)

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NCVFR said:
I strongly disagree with the e-mail about crashing being a normal out come of sport bike riding.
I'm basing this on an assumption, but I bet that most guys/girls on this site have been down at least once due to no fault of their own. I agree that classes make a HUGE difference, and experience is the number one teacher, but I do believe that if you ride, you are one of two types of rider: the one who has gone down and hopefully learned from it, or the one who will go down and hopefully learn from it.

Squidwannabe said:
...before this article was written , there were still Guys buying bigger bikes that they can handle, And even when this article will be forgotten, There will still be Guys buying bigger bikes that they can handle.
I realize this, but I think that supporting it isn't right, especially for a mag. that unfortunately has a lot of readers. I only found the article because I saw on Motorcycle.com something about a helmet survey that sounded interesting.

Chris: notice they didn't compare your R1 to a bike in it's class; only faster, heavier, more touring-oriented machines (Blackbird in particular). Had a 929rr been mentioned, I'm sure the results would have met with your dislike. :D...just kiddin' bro, I love the r1. Ain't nobody gonna tell me it's not every bit as good as the 929rr. :)

BTW: Enjoy your StarBoyzzzzzzzzzzzzz video;):D:p

[Edited by CBR Brutha on 10-31-2000 at 09:20 AM]

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Does anyone else find it ironic that I got the Star Boyz Video??? Fate or something..:D I told Robert it'll be used for inspiration on Sundays ;)

Unreal! But hey - It'll keep me in the house for 1 night.

Back on topic....

[Edited by chris_y2k_r1 on 10-31-2000 at 09:42 AM]

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I don't think the article in question was that bad. If you acted on everything you read or were told what would that say about you (no one in particular)? If I was reading this article and had no previous experience with sportbikes; this might peak my interest and at which point I would research further as to which bike and what training and gear I would need.

G

·
chris_y2k_r1 said:
Does anyone else find it ironic that I got the Star Boyz Video??? Fate or something..:D I told Robert it'll be used for inspiration on Sundays ;)

Unreal! But hey - It'll keep me in the house for 1 night.

Back on topic....

[Edited by chris_y2k_r1 on 10-31-2000 at 09:42 AM]
Whatever loser :rolleyes:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree with some of the others here, it wasn't the best article and it surely could have been written a little better but it wasn't too bad. CBRBRUTHA, I do agree that they need go get the right info and do some more research before they publish an article like that. I guess that's their style.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I just read a Popular Mechanics issue that had a small paragraph touting the RC51 as the most powerfull bike in production. These journalists really know there stuff.

G

·
Birdman said:
I just read a Popular Mechanics issue that had a small paragraph touting the RC51 as the most powerfull bike in production. These journalists really know there stuff.
So that's where RCJohn got his information! :D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
This thread reminds me of a story I heard awhile back. Remember that movie "Cliffhanger" where Sylvester Stallone is climbing rock faces? It shows him with various gear that you would typically see a rock climber using: harness, special shoes, a butt load of "pro" (devices you stick in a rock face and attach to the "rope" with carabiners). During the movie, he hauled all this crap around and never used a rope.

Anyway, the story goes that a little boy saw this movie and the mother went and bought her son some fancy shoes and maybe a harness (pretty useless w/o a rope). He was climbing one day and fell a good distance, and either died or got seriously injured. The mother sued the movie; claiming they depicted the sport of rock climbing in an unsafe and irresponsible manner.

The point to all this rambling is: Why in this day in age do we look to place responsibility on others for our actions. The stupid mother should have gotten professional instruction for her son instead of just turning him loose on a steep rock face. Take responsibility for your actions and quit pointing the finger at everyone else with stupid lawsuits.

Rant over...I feel better now :D .

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Birdman said:
According to Sports Illustrated, the R1 is the "fastest bike on the road."

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
tigerblade said:
Birdman said:
According to Sports Illustrated, the R1 is the "fastest bike on the road."
It is, isn't it ;) Well, it's the fastest chick getting bike on the road :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Squidwannabe said:

Whatever loser :rolleyes:

And to think I was gonna send you a copy... :D :p

RB - I totally agree, if you are stupid enough to look at a movie or a mens magazine for advice on a dangerous sport - concider it Darwinism...

Culling of the herd.

The R1 the fastest bike on the road... seems to hold true in my neck of the woods ;)

[Edited by chris_y2k_r1 on 10-31-2000 at 01:13 PM]

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I dunno why people seem to have it in for bikes all the time like they do...and then they can't get the facts straight!!
I could list off a bunch of cars available to the general public that reach these speeds and ABOVE!! Why not "attack" cars in the same way?? These cars should be offered with special driving courses and track time to new buyers, before they even think about handing over the keys!
Oh well,just my 2 cents worth.........

Jim

1 - 20 of 40 Posts