Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove to Toronto from Montreal this weekend, I have never seen so many Dead Deer, Skunk ... I saw 3 deer! All fresh meat too! I'd hate to hit one a bike...

·
Registered
766 Posts
That's spooky. Just yesterday I was commenting to a coworker on how much more roadkill there seems to be this year. Two people from our riding group have hit deer this year. No serious injuries both bikes totalled. Whenever we go for a dinner ride we call it "deer hunting". Seriously, keep an eye out especiallly in the morning and evening.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Birdman said:
That's spooky. Just yesterday I was commenting to a coworker on how much more roadkill there seems to be this year. Two people from our riding group have hit deer this year. No serious injuries both bikes totalled. Whenever we go for a dinner ride we call it "deer hunting". Seriously, keep an eye out especiallly in the morning and evening.
Same problem on this side of the mountains. It's all of the construction in the wooded areas. I live in a city and I wake up to find coyotes in my parking lot. Some of the roads out through Woodenville are littered with dead critters to the point of being depressing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Try to attach a Deer whistle to your bike. The whistle will make deer run the other way when they hear it coming their way. You can buy one at almost any truck stop or parts store.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
haha, you joke about eating road kill.
I was raised by my dad to always keep a plastic bag and a hunting knife in the car. That way if you come across fresh road kill I can recover the head for my collection!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Re: Road Kill

Hit 'em with your vehicle's front end and then run them over......the results: grilled AND tenderized meat!!:D:D:D

JIM

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I lost all but one box when I moved a couple years ago. Presently I don't have a place to clean and treat the bones, my neighbors wouldn't appreciate it.

Nae, my father is an anthropologist.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I was on the back of a friend of mine's (God rest his soul) KLR650 around this time of year at dusk several years ago. We were doing about 70MPH down a wide two lane road with a large shoulder. A deer wondered out directly infront of us, no warning. We clocked it square in the ass, no time to even hit the brakes. The bike did even flinch, just kept on going like nothing happened. We parked it, jumped off and by the time we got to the deer, it was dead.

We looked at the bike, the rim was bent, no signs of impact. God bless big from wheels!

Try that with a sportbike. :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
The trick with deer is to hit em at high speed. It happened last year around Calgary, a guy hit one at over 200 k (120 mph), just cut right through it.

This won't work with moose. Hitting one of them will kill you. Hit one in a car you might survive, car will be totalled.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts