Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding the other day on one of those roads where the top layer of blacktop has been ripped off for repaving. And all that is left are these lines of concrete that are constructed in wavy vertical lines. It made me feel like i was going to go down at any time. I was slowed down to about 35 and it was still terrible. Anybody else ever have to ride on one of these. They're a serious safety hazard in my opinion.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
They like to tear the roads up like that around here A LOT! If I happen to see one, or my other half does, we make sure to tell the other person so we can just avoid the road altogether, just way too much of a hazard, IMO. Not only becasue of the chewed up road, but because there are usually dips, bumps and loose gravel.

p.s... gixxer, gixxer, gixxer... hehe. :D

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
spicerke said:

p.s... gixxer, gixxer, gixxer... hehe. :D

Hey Tippmann, just say the word and I'll take her bike away from her....:D:twofinger :D

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Quite often. Thing is wander out to the backroands & try your hand on the gravel roads & then you will really be forced to learn how to ride the bike. I kid you not & even more challenging is to find one with lots of sharp turns in it along with heights & drops plus fast travelling trucks that will leave you eating their dust. LOL

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Just stay relaxed. That stuff will throw you around a little but when you tighten up on the bars it makes it way worse. The bike will wiggle a little but make it through fine if you don't give it too much help.;) Metal grate bridges can be like that. Different grate designs make some worse than others. Down your way is a bad one that crosses the Mon around Charleroi, near one of the river locks. If you decide to go wailing through those conditions, make sure you're not on a bike prone to head shake unless you have a good damper. :D

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
spicersh said:

Hey Tippmann, just say the word and I'll take her bike away from her....:D:twofinger :D
spicersh, "the word". Do what you have to do. And make sure to leave no witnesses;)

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dad said:
Just stay relaxed. That stuff will throw you around a little but when you tighten up on the bars it makes it way worse. The bike will wiggle a little but make it through fine if you don't give it too much help.;) Metal grate bridges can be like that. Different grate designs make some worse than others. Down your way is a bad one that crosses the Mon around Charleroi, near one of the river locks. If you decide to go wailing through those conditions, make sure you're not on a bike prone to head shake unless you have a good damper. :D
Yeah i know that exact bridge. Or at least i know a bridge in Charleroi across the mon tht is metal grate. Those bridges give the same sensation as these torn up roads.

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Tippmann said:

spicersh, "the word". Do what you have to do. And make sure to leave no witnesses;)
Tippmann.... :finger:

He took my bike away! :crying: Okay, mostly because he says that road rash is not pretty on a bride, but who's being picky? I get it back in 3 weeks! :D

gixxer, gixxer, gixxer, GIXXER!!!!

hahahahahaaaa....

·
Registered
129 Posts
I learned to ride..

I rode on grooved pavement the second or third day I was learning to ride my bike. At first it was extreamly unnerving and I would slow down to 35mph and crawl across it holding the handlebars in the "grip of death". As the weeks rolled by it got easier and easier to cope with and now I just loosen up and cruise across at 70mph and don't really worry about it. I would reccomending riding over grovved pavement a lot and just learn to get used to it. It just takes awhile before your comfortabe.

The pisser for me though is that they are now repaving the roads. But they are doing them one lane at a time and leaving about a 4 or 5 inch lip of asphault so on my way home I have to ride in the slow lane the whole way since I don't want to try jumping that kind of lip at even 35mph, since its parallel to my direction of travel. Freshly laid (uh huh huh he said laid) asphault is almost as unnerving feels really slippery even though you know it isin't.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
With a light grip the bike will find it's way over these irregular surfaces no problem. Feels weird but won't really mess you up in normal easy riding.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Tippmann said:

Consider it done....and hey, I'm a professional (a professional what I don't know....).

·
Registered
322 Posts
yep, keep it loose and relaxed and the bike will work its way thru the grooves.
I've heard it said that tyres with a straight groove running along the centre tend to follow the road profiles the worst.
I definately noticed this when I changed to a tyre with a zig zag centre line. It felt alot more stable over areas that the road profiler had ripped up.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yeah, those roads suck. Around here they also perform a nice little service of dumping loose asphalt along the shoulder of the road. Of course the stuff promptly distributes itself all across the road. I swear I'm going to start packing a broom so I can sweep the crap out of my favorite corners!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BanditBoy said:
I swear I'm going to start packing a broom so I can sweep the crap out of my favorite corners!
Yeah i hear ya dude. I've even been thinking about buying some asphalt and fixing this pothole that has developed around one of my favorite corners

1 - 14 of 14 Posts