Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

first off I am on a 900RR but I need some help from the wheelie kings.

I can ride wheelies by clutching it or powering it up. I can ride it all the way out in first gear occasioanly grab second without the front coming down. I can even do it on the tank. Here's my question while riding the wheelie I blip the throttle (on off on off). The causes a sea saw type action on the front end. how do I keep the front more steady. At the balance point can I just hold the throttle at one spot or what?

-Erik

P.S. I already read all the wheelie posts :-Þ

------------------
-Erik
'98 900RR
Stage 1 Jets
D&D exhaust
Braided Brake lines
misc, cosmetics

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey East Haven, I'm in Stratford.
It sounds like you're working the throttle to abruptly. You do have to do a little on/off action until you get to the balance point, but once you do get there, it will damn near drive itself. As you go through the gears it gets smoother and smoother. If you can get to 3rd gear you'll be sailing! I've never ridden a 900RR, but my friend has one and he wheelies for miles and miles, he says it's best wheelie bike he's ever ridden. I'll ask him a few tips and get back to you with more.

------------------
2000 CBR600F4 -Yellow
All Tricked Out

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Just keep practicing and yes you will get use
to leveling the throttle of after about 2
or 3 "chops".

------------------
It's nice to have one of the biggest...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey mhammill,

KEWLLLLL someone on the East Coast and in New Haven county :D . Let me know when and where you ride maybe we can catch-up. I usually meet up with a few people at Chicks (in west haven).

------------------
-Erik
'98 900RR
Stage 1 Jets
D&D exhaust
Braided Brake lines
misc, cosmetics

·
Registered
17 Posts
not a 900r

i cant get it up...my bike, that is. i can role about 5 mph and rev the crap out of it, dump the clutch and pull it up but it is so abrupt that i have to chop the throlel and bring it crashing back down. i can ride it up to 7500rpm in first and chop the throtle then hammer back on it for a rather pathetic 5 or 6in wheele. is this the result of a low power bike or a poor skilled rider... please dont make to much fun of me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Re: not a 900r

reno_powers said:
i cant get it up...my bike, that is. i can role about 5 mph and rev the crap out of it, dump the clutch and pull it up but it is so abrupt that i have to chop the throlel and bring it crashing back down. i can ride it up to 7500rpm in first and chop the throtle then hammer back on it for a rather pathetic 5 or 6in wheele. is this the result of a low power bike or a poor skilled rider... please dont make to much fun of me.
I think you need to read some of the old threads on wheelies before you completly trash your bike :eek: :eek: Seriously you should be able to lift the front wheel with ease on a 600 :( :(

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I'm no expert cause I still haven't been able to get to the balance point and keep it rolling (too chicken about going over I guess) but feel I'm in the same neighborhood as Eric who started the thread. Able to get to second once in a while, no longer losing fork seals on landings, and gettin pretty high wheelies. Anyway, something I've tried a little recently to smooth out the initial rise, which is frequently very abrupt, is to use just a little rear break. It allows me to keep the power on instead of freakin' out and chopping the throttle. I think that very soon I'll be able to find the ballance point using this technique cause it's much easier to modulate the breaking force than it is power output. Eventually it won't be necessary as I get comfortable with the angles I guess?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ahhhh, the balance point, that elusive bastard. lol. I looked and looked all summer and only found it two times. I always get freaked out and think I'm gonna flip. :eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: Re: not a 900r

"bladerunner" said:

I think you need to read some of the old threads on wheelies before you completly trash your bike :eek: :eek: Seriously you should be able to lift the front wheel with ease on a 600 :( :(
Hey reno......bladerunner's giving you some pretty good advice, I think that if you do some investigating, you'll find some excellent wheelie "How To's" and "How Not To's" in some older threads. If nothing else, be sure to listen to the "How Not To's"!!!:D

Good Luck, Have Fun, and please, BE CAREFUL.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts