Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many of you ride around town with your brights on?

i've noticed ever since i've started doing that...i have less cagers "not seeing me" on my travels around town.

i have to take the freeway to and from work every day, and being in so cal means also splitting lanes most of the way.

i especially keep them on in neighborhoods where driveways are blocked by cages parked all along the street. of course i try to remember to turn them back to low when another vehicle is approaching from the other way.

it pisses some people off...but i'd rather deal with somebody :finger:, rather than "not seeing me" and turning in to me or some other grand maneuver.

it's amazing how many people look into their mirrors now, then move over nicely for me while there's traffic on the freeways. otherwise the cager's only check their mirrors "during" a lane change...usually while dialing or talking on the phone.

riding with my brights on has saved unnecessary defensive maneuvers many, many times.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yea i started doing that as well for the same reasons, but there isnt heavy traffic around here, but attention is sometimes a good thing.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Always ride with the bright's on during the day, but not at night. The last thing i want to do is blind a cager.

·
Registered
251 Posts
too much

My friend has a r1 with these bright as hell HID lights, it blinds the shit out of you on low, and he rides with them on high, I think its to much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
hydro

i used to have them on my ex bike kawak 400 zzr once the police stopped me for having em 2 weeks later i had an accident at night later on the cager asked me where ur lights on?.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I used to ride with Hi-beams on but even that didn't deter cars from noticing or paying attention. What I do now is ride with the low beam and use an ACTIVE Hi-beam where I flash anyone who I see isn't paying attention to me. If you aren't paying attention to other vehicles around your person, then why aren't you? Sometimes it's better to be offensive than defensive when riding. An always on Hi-beam isn't gonna save you or make you more noticable to anyone. It seems to me that the only one's paying attention to hi-beams are other riders when they drive their cars. Better to flash someone and get their attention then be a hood ornament.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Tippmann said:
Always ride with the bright's on during the day, but not at night. The last thing i want to do is blind a cager.
:thumb:

·
Registered
129 Posts
During the day I allways use brights no exceptions.

At night depends on the situation, when I ride with our whole crew we all run brights, except out of town on highways. By myself I ussally do a little of both depending on where I am.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I ride with the brights on all the time... I only turn them off when I am behind fellow bikers or I am obviously blinding someone...

:D

·
Registered
329 Posts
I tend to have people flash highs at me even when my lows are on, I guess there bright enough to make people think I have the highs on, or maybe when I brake/throttle they think Im flashing them. Not sure but I do seem to get high beemed by cagers alot:finger:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i don't know about you, but here in cali they really don't care if you ride/drive around with your brights on. how about all those raised trucks with brighter than lowbeam headlights beaming right into your car? those are the most annoying in the world...

i ride with the brights on unless i'm making a left hand turn and sitting there with on coming traffic. like some of you have said...i don't want to be blinding the cagers....

just last night another bitch...on a cell phone no less...is coming out of a neighborhood and didn't even attempt to stop at the stop sign and just pulled out right in front of me...even with the brights on, this dumb bitch tried that manuever. didn't even care one iota about what she was doing.

so i pulled up along side her to take a peak and sure enough she was yap'n away on the cell phone...i wish i could've reached through that window, grabbed that f'n phone, and throw it to the street and watch it explode.

and of course she wouldn't even look over because she knew she did something wrong.

but most of the time...while riding with the brights on...the cagers will see this and not come out to my lane and cut me off. it's cut back considerably the amount of times i have to make defensive moves to avoid an accident.

so having a couple of :finger: thrown my way doesn't matter. cuz i'm just happy that they see me as a motorcycle rider and not just another cage with one headlight. which by the way, the cagers have no problem cutting off and pulling in front of them going at a slower speed no less.

it's amazing now how many cages pull over a little bit while splitting lanes while pulling up to a red light. before...a lot of the time, you actually get cages that pull into you as you pull by. it's because they don't see you, and they meander.

happy and safe riding to all...

·
Registered
88 Posts
noelpm said:
I flash anyone who I see isn't paying attention to me
it's a good thought, but there's no way you can flash every car on the road, cause that's pretty much the only way that'd work, every time you're in the left lane passing a car on the right side, every time you ride past a side street where someone is waiting to pull out, every time there's a side street that someone could cross your path to get to, there's just no way you can flash everyone that could hit you,

the other thing you have to worry about, is if you think someone is gonna pull out, so you flash them, they might think you're flashing them saying you'll give them room to pull out, you could acctually be putting yourself in danger, i hate when people flash me because i never know why,

i leave my hibeams on until the sun is completely set and it's as dark as it's gonna get, i don't even turn them off when it starts getting darker out, that's the most dangerous time to ride, everyone's eyes are still adjusting, and it's the hardest time to see people

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
tt_four said:
it's a good thought, but there's no way you can flash every car on the road, cause that's pretty much the only way that'd work, every time you're in the left lane passing a car on the right side, every time you ride past a side street where someone is waiting to pull out, every time there's a side street that someone could cross your path to get to, there's just no way you can flash everyone that could hit you,

the other thing you have to worry about, is if you think someone is gonna pull out, so you flash them, they might think you're flashing them saying you'll give them room to pull out, you could acctually be putting yourself in danger, i hate when people flash me because i never know why,

i leave my hibeams on until the sun is completely set and it's as dark as it's gonna get, i don't even turn them off when it starts getting darker out, that's the most dangerous time to ride, everyone's eyes are still adjusting, and it's the hardest time to see people
I don't rely on my headlights to make me too noticeable except at night. Instead, I'll swerve in my lane, stand up on my pegs, and other little, safe things like that to get attention when needed (busy intersections, etc). Even flipping off a car gets you noticed; so what that they'll be offended, as others have pointed out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use my brights as a matter of course. But besides turning them off at night, if I'm stuck behind a cage for a while I'll dip them then, too.

Originally posted by noelpm
I flash anyone who I see isn't paying attention to me
I don't do that anymore because someone might think I'm giving them the "Go Ahead" signal.

Oh yeah - Philips "Vision Plus" bulbs are 50% brighter at stock wattages and much better than the "Zeon Boosted" higher wattage thingies I had before. NICE!

Scott :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts