Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just got myself a pair of race boots to protect my feet (Sidi Vertabra Race).

I rode to work this morning and found that it was very difficult to upshift. The hard part is getting my foot pointed down to get under the lever. Very limited down ankle movement.

Also the great feel I had with my hiking shoes is gone too. It feels like I'm wearing ski boots.

Anyone ride with race boots find it more difficult to shift and feel? I thought these would be manditory for racers.

I'm also wondering if I should try to move the lever up alittle so that I don't need to point my foot down so much. But then I'm afraid that might be prone to accidental downshifts.

Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
It takes a bit getting used to, mine are Sidi Vertebra II Air I just got them a bit ago. I love them They are extremely conftorable to wear I can wear them all day long. The new shifiting takes a bit getting used to. Not long though. If you don't think you will be able to get used to it. See if you can adjust your shift lever.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Like edgeranger said, I would imagine it would take some getting used to. I know when i went to a regular pair of steel toed boots I couldn't stand them. But after a couple of weeks of riding with them I could never go back to shoes or hikers. Give them some time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would adjust the shifter. I just recently did this when I bought my first pair of boots (dainese TCI zip). I could barely get my foot under the lever so I adjusted it and once I got it dialed in upshifting is great and downshifting isn't that different. Be carefull you don't adjust the lever too far up. I was taking off to ride the 500 mile journey home from laguna seca and realized I couldn't upshift :).

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have a pair of Alpinestars SMX plus, have had them for over a year. After the first month they broke in very well, and are now very comfy to wear. However, it still takes some doing to get the feel for upshifting, downshifting is no problem. I would recommend moving the shifter up ever so slightly, and you may get a better feel. Being that race boots are heavily constructed for taking spills, it imbues a different feeling for shifting then low tops or hiking boots.

·
Registered
925 Posts
My Sidis (B-One) made shifting/lever feel so much easier :confused: Like anything you wear for riding, they need broken in, and getting used to, give it a little time, and if they still aren`t comfy, try another pair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts