Sportbike World banner

Riding with only a permit?

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  forchaos 
#1 ·
I've seen others on this board mention having or having had a permit instead of full endorsement. Since i doubt their always riding around with a someoone else following, how big a risk do you think it would be riding by yourself with only a permit? I don't want to take the class because it goes three days i don't want to get into it with my parents. Is it a serious offense if you get pulled over or will most cops let it slide??

Also do motorcycles have to be inured? I most likely will have full coverage on whatever bike i get but was just wondering.

#2 ·
I am not sure what the laws are in OR. but here in Mn (where I got my permit) we could ride without someone with us. The only rules were we needed to have a helmet, we could not ride anymore after 1 hour after sunset, and we could not ride freeways or interstates. Its all up to where when and how you want to ride I guess. I would check what the rules are in OR. You could even ask any law enforcement officer. they should know what you can and can't do since they are the ones basically enforcing the laws.

But if you are serious about riding, just take the class. your parents would feel better with you taking the class I am guessing than not taking it at all.

#4 ·
Well that sux.....I say just go take the class then and get your endorsement.

As far as the insurance deal goes. It all depends on the state. I know that in MT you don't (or atleast when I was there) have to have insurance. If you finance your bike you will most likely have to have full coverage no matter what.

#5 ·
Permit

I drive with a permit..it's kool knowin other people do, too. :D
I would get my license but cost an extra $15 bucks :eek:

But about getting pulled over and stuff..I got pulled over for running a red (didn't turn green!! :finger: ) and speeding; all this happened at night. The guy didn't say anything. I did have liability insurance (all that's needed here) but the card I had wasn't sufficient so he had to call the place and confirm but all in all it was okay. I think if you get pulled over, it really depends on how the cop is...mine was alright :cool:

I do suggest the class though :)

#7 ·
I rode for 2 weeks on my temps. Its legal to ride by yourself here in Ohio. The only things you could not do were, ride out of state, ride at night, ride on the highway, and then the last one that kinda worried me.

No riding on congested roads, it gives no definition of a 'congested' road so I imagine its just up to the cop on that rule.

#10 ·
I rode with a permit at 15 and a half which upgraded to a full lisence at 16 when I passed my car test. It was sweet. With the permit I could ride by myself just not, as previously mentioned, at night or on the freeways. It was a great freedom being able to ride a bike by myself when I couldn't drive a car.
I think taking the course would be worth it just to prevent possible aggrevation.
Also, having someone with you for longer rides is a good idea because when you first start riding gravel in the road seems unaviodable.
Insurance... definately a good idea.

#11 ·
b_jonston said:
If $15 is too pricey then motorcycling is probably not for you. It is a very expensive hobby/sport. :2cents:

#16 ·
I recently got my endorsement, and I spoke with a Beaverton officer (northern Oregon) and the law technically states that they can impound your bike if you do not have a full endorsement. It's the same as not having your drivers license and getting pulled over driving a car.

Ultimately, he said, it was the officers discretion(sp?) and they may or may not impound it. Either way, you will also get a ticket, which he said was quite a few bucks.

I got my endorsement without incident, and am happy that I did it! It wasn't expensive at all, and it's much cheaper than getting a ticket...

Hope that helps

#17 ·
Lunitar said:
No riding on congested roads, it gives no definition of a 'congested' road so I imagine its just up to the cop on that rule.
Being from Ohio and riding with a permit:
I talked to a guy who used to be a cop and he said that "congested road" basically means stop-and-go "rush hour" traffic.

I dunno, though. I don't have a whole lot of experience, but I haven't hit anything too bad yet. Too bad the BMV was too cheap to give me a copy of the Digest of Motor Laws when I got my permit (as is clearly stated on the envelope).

#20 ·
#22 ·
r6HereICome said:
thanks for the links.. i was more interested in the stipulations applied to those with their permit vrs. a full endorsement...
Should be in the manual. If not, a call to the DMV would answer it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.