Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering putting earbuds in my helmet for my MP3 player but have concerns on how much of a distraction it might have become. i normally only drive to where i need to be so havent bothered trying it but next weekend i have an hour and a half drive and wanna take my bike but it would be nice to have music considering roads round here are all pretty straight. Has anyone tried this and if so whats your honest opinion on riding with music

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I finally gave it a shot a few weeks ago when I broke down and bought an MP3 player. With the right earphones, it would be ok, but you need to keep the volume down to be able to hear horns/sirens/etc. I guess I'd say I opposed it till I tried it. Didn't lose any concentration whatsoever and could hear what was going on around me just as much as normal.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I tried it twice and didn't like it, the music was too distracting.
+1. I like to know what gear and speed I'm doing by engine sound and no earbuds are going to do the same job attenuating undesirable noise (like wind) like my earplugs. The last thing I need is a distraction when riding, given my history of distractions and riding.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I personally like riding with music. i have my mp3 player plugged into my chatterbox.. I use to wear earbuds but then they start bothering your ears. It is much better than listening to the wind. I normally just use them on long rides or if i am going to be on the bike awhile. If ya think ya cant hear the surrondings then put one of them in and leave the other out. Best of both worlds. Different states have different laws on this. There is a website that shows all of them. I would check it!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've been riding a long time and love me some music. I have the Ipod playing all day long, but when it comes to riding, off it goes! I like to hear the vehicles around me. It's a preference thing; that's my preference.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Meh. I don't wear noise-canceling headphones so I can hear pretty much everything that I'd normally hear over my pipes/wind noise/etc when I got music on. Plus I don't crank it.
I guess having Shania singing quietly in the backround might not be so bad.. :twofinger

If the brain can only process seven things at once then I don't want to give one away to music. Besides, if seven is the 'standard', then I probably only have four available anyway. :D

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I guess having Shania singing quietly in the backround might not be so bad.. :twofinger

If the brain can only process seven things at once then I don't want to give one away to music. Besides, if seven is the 'standard', then I probably only have four available anyway. :D
It could be worse. If you were a guy, at least one is always consumed by.... well, you know.

·
Registered
867 Posts
It could be worse. If you were a guy, at least one is always consumed by.... well, you know.
Lmao! Well, I'm not a guy but I am down to three now.. :D I forgot about that. Add the fact that I'm always looking for cops and I'm down to two things that I can do at once.. Better not chew gum while I ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts