Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I get a few thousand miles under my belt I plan on taking my wife with me on rides. Any suggestions on techniques that will make us as safe as possible?

P.S. She will be dressed from head to tow in gear.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Everything will take longer to do... Braking, Accelerating, Reaction inputs... Just make more time and space around you and go for some short rides in low traffic environments for practice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Make sure to tell the passenger to "be a part of the bike" and DON'T lean when you lean OR counter lean. It really sucks when you lean to go left and when you straighten up to find out that your passenger was counter leaning and that throws you to the right.

·
Registered
892 Posts
great to hear your gearheads, the key to being a good passenger is to kinda stick the the driver. get as close as is comfortable and just mimic the driver. people trying to counter lean as a passenger is probably the worst thing a passenger can do. go with the flow.....drag a knee....haha!

oh and be sure she has got a good forward lean when you take off or you'll lose her :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
Having both been a passenger, and having taken passengers, the easiest "technique" for the pillion rider to take is to bear hug the driver. If they are holding on as tight as possible, they can't really lean too far, nor can they not lean far enough.

Just as someone mentioned, everything takes longer. There is added time needed for acceleration, braking, and cornering does have a slightly different feel depending on how the suspension is dialed in.

Once I learned to pilot a bike, I found how I rode as a passenger changed... I then wanted more "input" into the ride, and found that I already knew what lean angles to expect and didn't need to "hold on for dear life" anymore. Then I started to put one hand on the tank (to brace for hard braking) and one hand holding the "oh sh!t handle" on the tail (to brace for hard accelerating).

·
Registered
423 Posts
A few things I've learned along the way. First always make sure your passanger looks over the inside shoulder of the turn. Second it feels better for myself if my passanger uses her legs to squeeze me instead of bear hugging me. Third for stopping have her place her hands on the tank to support herself.

A good little thing to get is stomp grip as well. It will help you stay in place a little better while you are stopping.

·
Registered
217 Posts
before hand, id make a signal between you and her. if you're going to pick up the pace a little bit, and she isnt ready for it, it will scare her and she'll tug on you... i suggest when she has her hands around you and you're ready to pick it up a bit, say you'll tap her hand two times and then go. this way its not unexpected.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tell her to never ever ever to take her feet off the pegs while the bike is in motion or even when you are stopped. Always check with eachother before she gets on and off the bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
the big thing i hear all the time from my wife is that i brake to hard.guess that would explain the marks on the back of my helmet and the ones on the front of hers.

·
Registered
177 Posts
for the love of god tell her to lean with the bike, not against it. thats the most awkward and challenging situation when with a passanger.

I also always tell my passangers to put their hands on the tank when slowing down. so my balls dont meet my stomach.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
bittersweetryan said:
...always make sure your passanger looks over the inside shoulder of the turn. Second it feels better for myself if my passanger uses her legs to squeeze me instead of bear hugging me...
Mrs Tree and I use these techniques. She holds the rear handle and uses my gear sack rack as back rest. Stops her from going anywhere on quick getaways. ;) I hate the bear hug style. Much prefer for my pillion to be away from me. Stops any helmet clashes.

I'll occasionally squeeze Mrs Tree's knee when I want her to grip harder or rub her let to see if she's okay.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i `ve actually have probably 6000 miles or so over the last 15 years of semi serious sportriding two up. i have to say very, very, light "sqiush" from the passengers arms around you as they rest their hands on the tank....nothing too rigid. they should move in unison with you with BOTH their upper and lower body (this takes time and faith). your hard acceleration should be no more than a power wheelie that they may not notice and under hard braking their hands on the tank eleviate the flat balls. two up riding makes the smooth smoother. theres nothing like canyon riding burning off the edges two up....best feeling in the world.

·
Registered
39 Posts
be as smooth as possible this will keep her off of you while braking and keep her on the back. with my ex gf on the back any hard accel in 1st on my sv650 or sv1000 ended up in a wheelie. keep the sudden movements to a min and remember to leave extra time for everything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well we have went on a few short rides and everything went great. To easy! Tomorrow we are looking to log some miles. Going to head north. Don't know where we are going but hopefully we will find something cool. Will let you all know how it went. Wish us luck!:cool:

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Alaska said:
Well we have went on a few short rides and everything went great. To easy! Tomorrow we are looking to log some miles. Going to head north. Don't know where we are going but hopefully we will find something cool. Will let you all know how it went. Wish us luck!:cool:
Mate, no offence, but you really shouldn't be riding with a pillion yet.

At the start of this thread, a week ago, you said that you'd get a few thousand miles under your belt before taking your wife with you. I find it hard to believe you've done those miles already.

You really need to think seriously about what you're doing, mate. Her life is in your (very inexperienced) hands. Just concerned for you, not flaming. :2cents:

·
Registered
268 Posts
cookeetree said:
I've gotta show this post to Mrs Tree!!! :laughing:
When you fight w/ your siginificant other, sometimes they fight even when they know they are wrong..... Why do women do that? Of all I have to learn about bikes, women seem to always be the greatest mystery.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts