Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the deal with real riding/racing boots? They look like they'd be so stiff you wouldn't be able to shift!! Do they break in and get "fast". As far as sizes- do they run same as shoe size or what? Or are they all too different to tell?? Just wondering as I'm still doing the old Nike high tops thing...

------------------
A few clowns short of a circus...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ther stiffer then what you are waring now but its good makes shiftng smother. I have a pare if alpeine stars gp tec boots and i love them. Its the second par of riding boots i have bought. I wouldent ride in any thing eals. thay are grate eaver get hit in the shin witha stone from a car in frount of you. Riding boots protect you and ther worth the money.

------------------
oldenof to know better still too young to care

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man, thanks for info and quite right you are... Definite diff tween riding and racing. Sounds like riding is what I need - don't have the confidence for racing... Good to know that they are stiffer before buying and realizing that later! And thanks for the EURO sz'ing tip- useful.

Anyone else???

------------------

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was wearing a set of Alpinestar GP's in a wreck. My foot got a fractured, but looking at the boot, I am glad I didn't have on a set of Nikes. They are a stiff boot, but I have found I actually shift better when I am wearing them.

------------------

·
Registered
367 Posts
I never really thought about buying a pair of riding boots until after reading the above posts. Now, I have to try and talk my wife into a cool pair of red boots.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
38 speeding tickets and still counting

·
Registered
52 Posts
Riding/Racing boots are a must! The more protection you have the better. I have a pair of Alpinestar GP Series boots, I can't remember the exact model, but they have a carbon fiber shin plate, ram air, ankle protection, ect. They are extremely flexible and comfortable to walk in. I guess they are classified as a racing boot because of the toe and calf sliders. Definately worth the money. Don't settle for half a$$, get the best equipment you can afford.

My .02

------------------

J

·
0 Posts
I have a set of slightly used Alpinestars GP Tech boots that are slightly used. The outside of the toe on the right boot is slightly worn through due to dragging on the racetrack. No it wasn't me. It was the racer I was working for. He was going to throw them away and I told him that I might find someone that wants them. They were worn in the Big Kahuna Nationals at Road Atlanta last month during qualifying. They are not the ones he crash tested live on Speedvision. :eek: The boots are about a size 10 1/2 US.

If anyone wants them e-mail me off line and no I don't want any money for them. :cool: I was going to keep them as a souvinir and have him autograph them but my wife said noway "you have enough souvinirs and don't need smelly boots". They don't smell. The guy is a clean freak. :)

They are to small for me and don't match the RC 51.

BTW, I wear AGV boots and they have held up well and are quite comfortable.

Ride Hard!

John

------------------

·
Registered
13 Posts
O.K. here is me two sense on the subject, the boots I have are sidi vertabra cromo's, the reason why these boots apealed to me that all the places that get worn down or ruined durning a crash can be unbolted(yes bolts not velcro)and replaced. I.E. shinguard, ankle and toes. one more thing racing boots only allow normal foot movement, so you can't fold your foot in half during a crash.

------------------

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I wear Z custom boots (they match my suit). Over all they are a good boot, but I wish the toe sliders were stuck on the boot a little harder.

The next pair of boots will be Alpine or some other brand. I like the look of these boots better than my Z boots.

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
BTW, the used Alpinestars have been sent to another memger of SBW. I'm glad that they will be of some use.

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too bad I'm a size 9. I could have used them for sure. I'm definitely going to be getting boots now it's just a question of when. Thanks guys......
mark

------------------

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have a pair of Sidi On rode sympatex (waterproof-so :rolleyes: ) They are the most comfortable boots I've ever had--after a little help from Dr. Sholes (SP) :) . They are pretty expensive, but I figure they should last a long time (knock on rubber). They have a MADMAX thing going on, which I kinda like. But they are more subdued than Power Ranger boots and don't have toe sliders like the Alpinestars or Sidi Vertebra's (which I would also like to own). One last thing, they fit under jeans, which I know the Alpinestars wouldn't.

------------------
Clark

P

·
0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RUG BURN:
snip...they fit under jeans, which I know the Alpinestars wouldn't.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on which Alpinestars you're talking about. The ones that I have (I don't recall the model name, but they came out last year, waterproof, shin plate, zipper/velcro, no sliders, very comfy) fit quite easily under even my tapered-leg jeans.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
Depends on which Alpinestars you're talking about.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The other ones. :D

------------------
Clark

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got a set of Alpinestars GPS boots, which I heartily recommend to anyone. I've had 'em for a few years, and they still look and feel great. They're an excellent all around boot, comfy on the bike AND walking around (no nature hikes, though ;)). They've got decent armor with a shin plate and heel protection, perfect for casual street riding or a day in the canyons. Wouldn't recommend them for the track, though. Good luck.

------------------
If attacked by a tiger shove your arm down its throat. This takes some practice. -Cyril Connelly

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a pair of Sidi Motosport boots. They are really half boots, but are great to wear under jeans (I wear Draggin Jeans when I don't have on my Boost pants). The boots have fair ankle protection, are comfortable for a long day in the saddle and look good at work.

I have also looked at their Dry Road model and may get a pair for longer rides.

------------------
Richard M. Poniarski
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7
AMA #674623
NY S666C
ZR7OA #3

1 - 16 of 16 Posts