Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
u do forget.

for 1 reason or another i havent really "ridden" just to ride in over 2 months. my last track day was about the same. although i ride everyday its commuting & i get about 1 mile w/4 sweepers.

yesterday i went riding. i ziped on the leathers & headed out. well.. i was nervous. tense. all over the place. & even started to run wide a couple of times AND i target fixiated once... luckly ive practiced fixation & making my self look away.. cause i woulda hit a tree if i didnt.

the point...

if u havnt been aggresive for a while then when u go out to ride like a mad man.. spend some miles relearning proper technique.. just like when u pull the bike out of storage in the spring.. take it easy & figure things out.

------------------

·
Registered
59 Posts
Splain lucy,
Target fixation?

MSF course isn't till oct 19th here :( but I ride daily, so it may help me. I know that if I look at a pothole I will hit it, but I need more tips on cornering. How far ahead do you look? Do you always keep your eyes moving? any particular pattern?

I know these questions sound stupid coming from a 10 yr rider, but I always rode cruisers till now and need help.

Thanks,
Troy

------------------
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. "
http://troybaker.com/600

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thats pretty much target fixation.. u see something u stare at it u hit it. the trick is to not panic & be able to take your eyes off of it & look through your corner.. it takes some balls. i practiced it in a parking lot.. set up some markers & visulize a corner.. go through your virtual corner fixate on a marker then save your self.

as far as cornering here is my technique. it may be wrong so if others think so let me know.

when im riding in traffic i am constantly scanning the road thinking "if that car does this im going here". also i look at side streets, turn lanes, driveways, etc.. for possible "but i didnt see him, honest" accidents. when im cornering i find my entrance & look at it.. when i turn in i find my apex & look at it.. once im on line to hit the apex i find my exit & look as far through it as i can. the further u look ahead the "slower" u see things.. so u can comprehend & react better.

------------------

·
Registered
380 Posts
what he said....
You see something, you fixate on it, you hit it. On a bike, you go where your eyes go.
Look ahead, look around in traffic, always watch other cars, but you know that already...

On the original topic- I find the same thing, even if I haven't ridden aggresively in only a week, it takes me some time to "warm up", to get into the right mental state to ride like a mad man :).

------------------
j.-
"rawlbrughhhlearlaurTIMMY!"

[This message has been edited by inanima (edited August 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
79 Posts
That look where you want to go thing is for real. I almost ended up in a ditch but saved it. Story time. :) Me and a bud were flying around some corners. He wasnt riding last 3 seasons so was rusty. I was hitting 120kmh in these S-Turns that were marked at 30km/h with a bunch of arrow warning signs. He couldnt keep up so i slowed to 100km/h so he could watch my lines. (dropping 20km/h helped save me to) So here I am setting up for another S-Turn, im at 100 and leaned over real good. And here comes the F150 around the corner over the center line. I thought that at least his mirror would would smash me in the face. So i straightend her up and grabbed front brake big time for like 2 seconds. Now i was staring at the ditch but remembered my instructor saying look where you want to go and counter steer for maximum lean/turn. So i let go the brake looked way left and punched out the left bar. Scrape went the peg and if i woulda held it, i wouldnt have touched the gravel on the side of the road. but i never touched down my peg so i got spooked. and lifted it. Went through a bit of gravel/dirt but i was already in the straight away so i just popped her back onto the road. O yeah and my friend looked at the ditch and did a superman.

------------------
Keep Your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts