Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a license for 2 and a half years now but haven't done much riding since last fall when I finally got a bike of my own. Being springtime now and all the girlfriend has been buggin me for a ride but I keep telling her to wait. So questions now are what do you guys recommend as a reasonable time to wait before going two up, and anything I should know about actually doing it? (i.e what are the passengers responsibility's? sit still or just kinda do what I do? ) Anyway, I wanna make sure it's safe so I'm not risking anyone else's life. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Riding two up is really just a confidence issue. Have your girlfriend follow whatever you do...the biggest thing is that she be aware of the natural tendencies that many passengers have toward "counter leaning" New people generally do this because they start to feel uncomfortable leaning over too far so they counter it. Let her know not do that and to try to stay still at the really low speeds until you get comfortable with the way it feels to have the extra weight and different center of gravity. The question is really how comfortable you are with your riding skills..not so much how long you should wait before taking a passenger. It's not that big of a deal, though. You'll see. Just try it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The wait can differ. It all depends on your comfortability level. My wife didn't understand why I just didn't take her for a ride. She now has her own bike and understands. The extra weight will make a difference. You may not notice at first, but the more you get used to your bike, you'll feel a difference in the response. When I first took my wife for a ride, it was like, wow... a little more heavy. That was about 6 months ago. Recently when I took her for a ride (no resetting of preload/rear shock) I felt the front end wanting to lift up and not grabbing as much as when I was on it by myself. It was only for a short hop, but I was extra careful with her on it. Just get comfortable on the bike first before you start taking on passengers. Couple of things though if you're going to ride 2 up.

1) Get her proper gear. Helmet, gloves, riding jacket, ankle-high boots, etc.
2) Sit in the driveway a while and get a feel for the extra weight. You may want to adjust the preload and rear shock for long distance riding
3) Practice by going around the block or in a parking lot until you feel comfortable.
4) Don't take off too fast or she'll fall off :p
5) You'll probably need to use a little more throttle with her on. Depending on what type of bike you have.

Her responsibilities?
1) Hold on tight (not enough to suffocate you though)
2) Which ever way you look and lean, she should do the same exact thing. Don't try to lean the other way (counterbalance) even though she thinks the bike will fall over. It may cause the back wheel to come around and you'll lose control. Trust the bike.
In taking corners, it's best that she leans into your back for a good center of gravity. There's a big difference in cornering if she's leaning into you than if she's sitting straight up.
3) Don't shake too much or adjust her seating position from one side to another. It's possible that she can adjust her seating if she uses BOTH feet on the pegs to keep everything centered when you're riding, but it's best when you're stopped. Kinda like standing up a little.
4) This is important! When coming to a stop, have her brace herself (with her arms and legs) against you or to hold on to the luggage racks so she doesn't slide into you when you're coming to a stop. That HURTS! Unless you're wearing a cup.
5) She can also help by using hand signals to people behind so they know which way you're turning.

Hope this helps. If I think of anymore, I'll post another.

Ride Safe,

OP

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have'nt been riding long either. Of course just start off slow, and when coming up to a stop, my girlfriend puts her hands against/on the tank to brace herself, and this keeps her on the back seat.:)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Omega_Purp said:
[B

Her responsibilities?

4) This is important! When coming to a stop, have her brace herself (with her arms and legs) against you or to hold on to the luggage racks so she doesn't slide into you when you're coming to a stop. That HURTS! Unless you're wearing a cup.

OP [/B]
Another trick on a sportbike, is to have her place her hands
on the back of the gas tank (reach around you) when you
stop to prevent her from sliding into you, this also works real well. ;) :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
This has already been said, But it is worth repeating.

Be carful and take it slow, don't get in a hurry, we all hate to hear about anyone crashing whether it is their fault or not.

Have fun, Hope it all goes well:D

Travis

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Good advice so far. I would add that it's a good idea to duck your head forward a little when you come to a stop. Most likely even if she supports her body, her head might come forward and knock helmets. ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
I wouldn't let my wife ride until I felt that I could ride instintively, meaning if the unexpected happened I could handle it smoothly. Just a couple other things. Make sure she has good gear - all the normal stuff plus if she doesn't want leather pants (grrroooowwwwl) then at least get her Draggin Jeans. The only other things I haven't read previously is to make sure she gets in the habit of mounting and dismounting away from the muffler since it gets realy hot really fast, and lastly quick shifting can make a ride smoother for a passenger, and avoid the unexpected helmet clunk! Good luck - tell her to be patient, it's for her own safety.

p.s. Most if not all Corbin seats come with a detachable backrest. Gives her a little confidence that she won't call off backwards and keeps her from wearing down your wrists and shoulders when you brake and downshift.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Riding 2 up

I agree with what has been said above in the posts. Also, you may want to get signals between the two of you before she gets on for easier communication. Such as, when coming to a stop, make sure you are either in neutral or have both feet down before she tries to get off, a jerk of the head to the left signals my passenger it okay to get off. When you are in traffic and may need to stop, putting your hand on her knee or hands if they are wrapped around you and pulling it tighter to you, should indicate to hold on tighter, I do this when I may be taking off or may have to stop sudden. Depending on what kind of bike you have, the bike may need more gas to keep the rpms higher, this is what I have to do when carrying a passenger. My daughter likes to sight see, I can feel it when she is looking from side to side, the wind flow changes. I take her knee and pull it tighter into me and she knows to sit still. That is another difference you will need to be aware of, wind flow will change, my helmet goes all over the place with a passenger on the bike. I guess that is called building neck muscles!

Know your bike, know you abilities, and communication between you two when riding is helpful.

P.S. If she bugs you that much to want to ride, get her to take the MSF course so she can have her own bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I always tell my passengers to sit there like a sack of potatoes. Non-riders can get confused when leaning. If they think of themselves as dead weight then they will automatically lean when the bike does.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
A few things that I want to add.

The bike will wheelie a lot easier with a passenger putting the balance so far back. So if you get on it and the front starts to come up, don't freak, just let off a little ( or roll on a little;) )

Make sure she knows to check with you before getting on or off so you can have both feet solidly on CLEAN pavement.

Don't worry about her moving around on the back while you're moving. It will lean the bike a bit one way of the other but it will not upset the bike THAT much. Now when moving slowly it will have a much bigger effect so tell her to be still when under 15 mph at least.

Leave extra room for brakeing

Ride defensively until you really have gotten used to having a passenger and the changes it makes. Then you can start giving more enthusiastic fun rides as your experience and confidence builds.

What works best for me to keep helmets from knocking while shifting is this: use about 1/2 throttle and just hold it. As the bike reaches the max speed at that setting it will just start to lose acceleration. After the bike settles into a near steady speed shift up and roll up to a half throttle or whatever works for you. On a 600 you might use 3/4. It sounds a little complex or like it'll take forever but really the bike accelerates quickly and then it just takes a couple seconds for it to settle into a steady speed be fore the next shift. Key points being using a throttle setting which gives good acceleration but won't reach red line. This means the bike will very smoothly settle in speed instead of having you roll off the throttle. Long winded but it took me ten years to come up with this technique so I thought I'd share.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My two cents....assuming you're on a sport bike keep in mind that most new sportbikes are more sensitive to the added weight and change in center of gravity than say a touring or standard type bike would be in adding a passenger. In my not so humble opinion sportrbikes are best left for solo use unless the passenger is -110 lbs. or so. Maybe pick up some used older sporty standerd type for two-up stuff? Alot of choices of great bikes over the last 20 years or so. Anyway be cool and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
From a frequent passenger point of view there are defiantly some goods tips to give her.

1) Have her lean with you! It actually helps the feeling that you have no control when you are a passenger if you can see into the turn.

2) have her put her hands on the back of the tank to hold on. It helps leaning angle and also stopping. Plus its much more comfortable then any other way.

Those are my best tips for now. Hope it helps!
:D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hmm, reading this, I get the impression that I should be getting on my bike and stabilizing it before I let a passenger on? (me looks sheepishly around) I've been putting them on while the bike is on the stand, then getting on and taking it off the stand. IE passenger goes on first, gets off last.

Comments?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not my preferred method...I don't trust the passenger not to upset the bike. I get on first and off last, the passenger only gets on and off when I am seated on the bike holding it. Also, the passenger doesn't get off until I tell her... if I only have one foot on the ground or on some sand, it's a bad time to dismount.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Nyquist_Theorem said:
Hmm, reading this, I get the impression that I should be getting on my bike and stabilizing it before I let a passenger on? (me looks sheepishly around) I've been putting them on while the bike is on the stand, then getting on and taking it off the stand. IE passenger goes on first, gets off last.

Comments?
I always get on first and make sure I have good footing - with the kickstand up. Then she climbs on. She is the first to dismount when we stop. That allows me to make sure everything is steady.

·
Registered
164 Posts
one of the biggest concerns

Give A LOT MORE DISTANCE WHEN STOPPing

the first time rode with a passanger we go to a light that i would normally be able to stop at when it turned yellow (kind of a hard quick stop, but not unreasonable) i went to stop...and blew through the red light almost lost it. if you think to DOUBLE oyur stopping distance, tyou will give yourself brething room, and also remember, when swerving quickly out of the way of debris or potholes or whatever, she probably dosent know your going to do that, so the bike reacts differently the when she is leaning with you into a turn

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hmm, good points - I'll have to try the me-on-the-bike mount and dismount style next time I've got a pax. Might be hard with my Ventura rack on (ZX6R's are pretty high on the pillion perch for a shorter girl... not that I have a girl, but if I did, she might be short... :D)

Very true about braking - also, well, everything. I was quite surprised at the difference in power a passenger makes - I can only imagine what merging on the freeway with a 250 two-up is like.... :eek:

·
Registered
377 Posts
The key is to be super smooth. You can be a hooligan solo but 2 up is like piloting an aircraft...your passengers comfort is the key.

How many times do you see a guy suited up and his girl in jeans, sweats and sneakers is hanging on the back? Buy them their own gear. Even a new THH or HJC helmet that fits is better than your old Arai that doesn't.

I always sit on the bike first, then have the pillion mount, standing on the peg and balancing themselves on my shoulder. Easy. They dismount after I kill the engine.

You lose a bit of cornering clearance when scratching. You can use a lot more rear brake with the extra weight, but overall it's like hauling up a battleship. In the wet you get great grip from the rear but less at the front.

I commute daily and take my g/f to Uni most days. After a while she realised I wasn't about to kill her and once the trust arrives it makes it a more relaxed enjoyable ride. Listen to their complaints and adjust your riding accordingly. It's just another riding skill you need to learn.

:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I like to have my passengers get on and off the bike when my kickstand is down, and I have them get off from the left. It makes everything feel much more stable. Also, make sure they understand everything before getting on with you. I have had girls on the back who have said that they have been on the back of tons of bikes, but when we get moving, they freak out and are all tense which makes it harder and uncomfortable for me, soo make sure you passenger is comfortable. Good Luck.

P.S. If you want, I will take your gf for a ride...;) :p J/K

TireFryer:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts