Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/3029267/detail.html

It would be interesting to find out exactly what caused the wreck, but any way you cut it this is a risk you take when running from the police. While I don't think anyone deserves to die, I certainly don't feel sorry for this asshole. :2cents:

·
Some days are like this.
3,132 Posts
Okay, so he was riding with a suspended license that had NO motorcycle endorsement on it, WITH a passenger, and rather than pulling over and geting a citation or arrested, he risked his life (which he lost), the life of his passenger and that of anybody who got in the way?

I am sorry his family is without him, but I am pissed that once again personal accountability is tossed out the window.

Why is it ALWAYS someone elses' fault? :mad:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being Indiana, I will almost guarantee he had no helmet on. If that's the case, I wonder if he died from head trauma....

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
The lawsuit says the chase ended when Myers either struck the motorcycle occupied by Hilbert and Philebaum or was in such close proximity to the motorcycle that Myers caused Brandon to lose control and crash.

Jay County and state police investigators found no evidence to support that claim.
o.k. now let me get this straight. a full investigation was made by both Jay County (i assume Sherrifs Dept.) and Indiana State Police and there was NO EVIDENCE indicating fault by law enforcement officials? i don't buy it. everybody knows that its ALWAYS the cops fault. :rolleyes:

looks like a Darwin candidate.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Who would run with a passanger? I mean, it's 1 thing to have no regard for your own life, but making that decision for someone else as well just makes me sick.

·
Registered
58 Posts
sounds like another :squid: who cares only about himself and could give two hoots about anybody including his passenger. It just makes us all look bad. Hold on, gotta go, my insurance guy is calling to tell me the rates are going up. wonder why.

·
Registered
232 Posts
spicerke said:
Okay, so he was riding with a suspended license that had NO motorcycle endorsement on it, WITH a passenger, and rather than pulling over and geting a citation or arrested, he risked his life (which he lost), the life of his passenger and that of anybody who got in the way?

I am sorry his family is without him, but I am pissed that once again personal accountability is tossed out the window.

Why is it ALWAYS someone elses' fault? :mad:
lots of stupid people out there. Why they do what they do is beyond me but people like this make us all look bad. But I guess that will always happen. No matter what there will be at least one person that will make a group look bad.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Certain things are open and shut.
For example:

1. It's stupid to run from the cops
2. It's more stupid to run with a passenger
3. It's even more stupid to run at speeds that can kill you and your passenger.

Other things are unknown

1. Did the officer cause the crash? Doubtful. More than likely, the guy crashed on his own because he couldn't take the curve at the speed he was going.
2. What gear was he wearing? At those speeds, it may not matter, but every little bit helps.
3. What type of motorcycle was he on? I'm sure all of us sportbikers will somehow suffer no matter what type of bike he was on.
4. What's the worst that could have happened if he had pulled over and got a few tickets? No matter how bad (even a night in jail), it isn't worth the cost of human life.
5. Will the family sue the bike manufacturer? I'm sure they'll find a way to blame the machine because, as we all know, it's easier to blame an inanimate object than to take responsibility for one's actions.

Sorry his family has to suffer, but unless they have some proof that the cop rammed the bike off the road (like some paint from the bike on the car's bumper), they're gonna lose this one.

UNLESS.......there is some county law that says "We don't chase at high speeds unless we know the suspect is wanted for a felony........" or something like that.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
EdgeRanger said:
I read the title and, then Closed it.
I'm pretty sure you replied before you closed it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If I hear one more of those lame excusses that people don't kill people motorcycles do, or as in most cases guns do, I'm going to flip. I feel bad for the family members involved with the loss, but that is what happens when you don't use common sense. I'm sure though we have not heard the last of this. :2cents:

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
monkey said:
looks like a Darwin candidate.
I don't think he'll make it as a candidate. You have to do something unique, and I'm 100% certain this isn't the first incidence of fatal incompetence from police evasion on a motorcycle.

I feel sorry for the cop who might have a little compunction about chasing this person in the first place.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I do believe in MD it's illegal to give chase of a speeding motorcyclist !! They are only allowed to use the eyes in the sky, I do know of cases from my state trooper freind who also rides where they have setup speed traps where the stated troopers uses sport bikes to give chase only long enough to get the speeders tag number however.

Yes it's very stupid to run from the police and even more dumb to run and risk someone elses life.

But I also fault the cop in his decision to chase this speeder if there were other ways of nabbing this suspect.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I'm sorry that they guy died. I'm sorry that his passenger was critically injured. I'm sorry to all the families involved who are now feeling pain. I'm sorry that we're all gonna have to pay for this guy's mistake. I'm sorry that the cops involved will have to live w/ this incident for the rest of their lives. If a law was broken by the police during the pursuit I'm sorry that the city/public will have to pay the family a ton of money. All that being said, I'm not sorry for the disgust I feel toward a man who knowingly runs from the police, with a passenger, and goes 130mph in the process. Everybody looks to blame the cops when a pursuit leads to injury or death, but everybody seems to forget that the cops aren't twisting the throttle, they're not on their loudspeaker urging the rider to go faster, they're tring to STOP the rider, save his/her life, uphold the law. The cops didn't initiate the pursuit, they responded to it, like they're trained to do. When adults make a conscious decision they must suffer the reprecussions of said decision. Sad, somebody lost their life, but perhaps they should've considered that before they made the choice to run.

·
Registered
88 Posts
marvlover said:
I do believe in MD it's illegal to give chase of a speeding motorcyclist !! They are only allowed to use the eyes in the sky, I do know of cases from my state trooper freind who also rides where they have setup speed traps where the stated troopers uses sport bikes to give chase only long enough to get the speeders tag number however.

Yes it's very stupid to run from the police and even more dumb to run and risk someone elses life.

But I also fault the cop in his decision to chase this speeder if there were other ways of nabbing this suspect.

You would be incorrect in your statement that it is "illegal to chase a speeding motorcyclist"

http://www.mdsp.maryland.gov/mdsp/default.asp

here's a hyper link if you want to do some research on Maryland traffic statutes. I'm not so quick to blame those vested with enforcing the laws for the misfortune of those breaking it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
spicersh said:
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/3029267/detail.html

It would be interesting to find out exactly what caused the wreck, but any way you cut it this is a risk you take when running from the police. While I don't think anyone deserves to die, I certainly don't feel sorry for this asshole. :2cents:
That particular article does not mention several things. For example, the Portland police claimed there was no video of this chase (the recorder was broken). However, the father of the victim claims that enlarged images from the video taken in the second cruiser revealed that the office involved in the chase grabbing something from the passenger side. According to a company hired by the family, it was a video tape. The Portland police responded that it was not a video, but something else. ANother interesting things is that there is a 22 second lapse in the video taken in the second cruiser after the first cruiser stopped. In addition, the subsequent investigation was completed, but the county prosecutor (I think) refused to release its findings.

Also it was mentioned in one of articles (I think it was The Star Press) that the officer and the victim knew each other. In fact, one of the previous encounter resulted in the officer tackling the victim down because of "mistaken identity". His father said maybe his son simply panicked because of his previous encounters. Furthermore, according to the editorial (of The Star Press or Commercial Review--can't remember which), the pursuing officer knew exactly who he was chasing after.

Of course these "facts" or "findings" do not justify the action of the victim, but this case isn't that all that clear cut. The victim's father seems buying into a conspiracy theory, which may seem absurd to many, but the Portland police, the Jay County, and others haven't fully disclosed information or come up with a good explanation. This accident happened just when the victim was preparing "for entering the service to serve the country". Hopefully, something comes out of the lawsuit. Just my :2cents:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: Re: Rider Killed In Police Chase

Metatron said:
Hopefully, something comes out of the lawsuit. Just my :2cents:

Like what.....money? Well maybe one of my dumbass relatives will run from the police so I can get rich. How about maybe someone will learn from the outcome, maybe a kid thinking about running from the cops.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Rider Killed In Police Chase

cbr929_cholo said:
Like what.....money? Well maybe one of my dumbass relatives will run from the police so I can get rich. How about maybe someone will learn from the outcome, maybe a kid thinking about running from the cops.

Read his post again, slowly, and maybe you'll see that he's saying there's a lot more to this story than just a dumbass kid running from the cops. A lawsuit would expose the dishonesty of the public officials involved in the investigation, which could lead to better/honest business practices in the future....could save your life one day, or one of your "dumbass relatives."

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
People get killed just showing off, they don't need to be running from the police. Careless riders take risks and sometimes they pay for it. :2cents:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts