Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search but didn't really find answers.
Anyway, I'm about to buy my first new bike. When I bought my first bike I trailered it home, looked over the bike well and made some minor repairs. Should I expect a new bike to be ready to ride?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
If you are buying a NEW bike from a dealer then it should be fully prepared for the road. Depending upon the dealer will say if the fuel tank is with SOME fuel in it or filled to the top.

After all in purchasing a new bike you are also paying for the "preperation" of the bike so it can be ridden right off the dealers lot.

Personally I would check the bike over, sit on it to see that all the hand & foot controls are where I prefer them, take a small run around a few blocks to check on the "clocks" on the bike & if they are working correctly. Everything should be 100% to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you're financing at all, you'll have to insure the bike, trailer or no.

I say trailer if you are in bad weather, but want the bike now. Me, I rode each of mine off the lot, each time praying fervently I would not make a dumb mistake in the dealer's parking lot (and I've been riding on the street for 25 years...).

cdma2k

·
Registered
24 Posts
As was said before take it for spin around the block before you head out. Mine had a funny rattle and had to go back to get it checked.

·
Registered
18 Posts
depends where the dealer is located

I live approx. 120 miles from where I got mine so I trailered it. Checked it out before I loaded it up. I prefer to cruise the bike around a lil and get used to the brakes and throttle,gears and just make sure the bike is gonna stay together before jumping into heavy traffic.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The dealer had it all ready and delivered it to my house complete with a full tank of gas. It was my first bike and I live 90 miles from the dealership. I just didn't feel comfortable riding it on the highway so....they offered to deliver it.
I think a dealer will pretty much do anything to get you to buy. I would just tell them what you expect of them when taking the bike home.:2cents:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Rode all 4 of our new bikes home. Just remember you are on new tires. All rides were pretty mellow, too. Last one was December 2002, at night, in the pissing rain. Only way that ride was enjoyable is I was on my new bike!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks very much for the opinions. If the dealer takes my offer I will be riding my new bike home soon.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I say ride stand up wheelies the whole way home:cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ride it home...fill up the tank so there are no surprises, and go easy until the bike/tires are broken in. I bought mine in LA, rode it out and was splitting lanes in traffic on the way home! Ahhh...lane splitting, the biggest FU to cagers! They are sitting in there cars all hot and pissed going nowhere when you fly by their window and they think...damn, wish I was him! Sorry getting off subject....just ride it home, it isn't any fun trailering a bike, especially when you just got it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
trailer it

I say trailer it home, and let the excitement subside a bit. I've read too many posts about new buyers crashing in the parking lot, or just down the street from the dealership. Maybe it was the new tires; perhaps they were so excited they weren't paying attention; plus most new buyers probably won't be wearing full leathers when they go to the dealership, so it is a safety issue on the ride home.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've never trailered a bike home, but I've only gotten one from a dealer.
Rode from Saint Paul, MN to Montgomery, AL.
Rode from Kansas City, MO to Montgomery, AL.
Rode from Marietta, GA to Montgomery, AL. <- WOWMotorcycles
and I rode from Fort Wayne, IN to Montgomery, AL.

:burnout: :cheers:

·
Registered
8 Posts
120 freeway miles??..I would trailer it..Or if yea do ride it... just vary the rpms on the way home..Kinda hard to do …sometimes yea get into a groove at about 6000 and stay there..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts