Registered
265 Posts
talk about reinventing the wheel!

I wonder if they can put that on a supra or sumthing:thumbs2: lol

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
People who can design things like this and make them are Gods in my eyes.

ZX - I'm sure they'll improve on it, speeding it up. Give it time.

r3y - Imagine how much fun drifting would be!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know!! hopefully advancement will be in the near future:D

i just hope those stay away from motorcycles... I like my bikes just with regular wheels!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Slow down there, the concept isnt coming to sports cars, or any cars any time soon. The "wheels" are un-inflated, have silly unsprung weight. They would suck for a sports car, and wouldnt work at all on a bike (you need at least 4 of them). They are good for tight, slow manuvering. Expect to see them on wheelchairs, small drone like robots, things along these lines.

Its not all around better than a normal wheel, just better at a certain application at expanse of the rest. Still, freaking cool. Wish I would've thought of that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
lol yeah I understand, but sometime in my lifetime I predict someone will apply that technology to cars!

I'm still trying to figure out how it works! I think I know but I'm not exactly sure!:p

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Apparently the idea has been around since 1973, but i dont think its much good without brushless motors to take advantage of it.

The wheels work by allowing sideways movement on the rollers. If you take the left wheel and spin in forward, and the right wheel and spin it forward, they cancel each other out and force the platform to move sideways. if you change both of their directions, you go to the other side. if you force the front pair to go left and the rear to go right, you turn around. and so on and so on. but you have to have 4 of them to be much good. You could use 2 side by side and a shopping cart style rear wheel, to get most of the effect, but there is no way to get a motorcycle arrangement to work.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i hope they leave motorcycles alone when it comes to "reinventing the wheel" part..

check this out though? do you consider this a motorcycle or atv?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
is that the tessaract? That thing is pretty cool. I think its closer to a motorcycle than an atv, since it steers like a bike, by leaning over, instead of turning the wheels.

From what I understand, the problem with most of the front swing arm designs is that the mechanical linkages between the wheels and bars take away feedback.

Still I'd like to ride one

·
Registered
265 Posts
yep.. tessaract!! was unveiled this year... yeah i like the concept where it leans to turn...

Yeah I'd like to ride one of those...bet you I wont drop it! :D

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
A while back one of the german companies made a car concept that is somewhat simular (cant remember if it was bmw or mercedes).

It was a wide body sports car, but the wheels could tilt slightly, basically changing their camber (so only the outside was leaning into the turn, the inside was doing the opposite). The inside wheel would increase their camber to 15deg in a turn, while the outside would camber to 5. In a straight line, there was no camber. All this was combined with a super special tire designed to take advantage of all the camber changes.

No idea what happened to it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Vash: I, too, seem to recall something about a variable camber sports car, but I wouldn't even know where to start googling such a thing.

As for the forklift, that is pretty cool. Makes sense if you think about it... but it takes some skill to think about it before it existed. :thumb:

As for tesseract... how does one go from a 4-dimensional cube to THAT thing and keep the same name?!?! :twofinger

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
They had some explanation for the name, which I found to be pretty weak. I think someone thought it was just a cool sounding word.. you know sharp and evil, like a dinosour or something...

Wasnt that word also used to describe a wormhole of some sort, and used in a kids book, a wrinkle in time?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Vash said:

Wasnt that word also used to describe a wormhole of some sort, and used in a kids book, a wrinkle in time?
Well, it could possibly have been used as such... if you consider the 4th dimension to be "time", then an alternation in the 4th dimension could be considered a wrinkle in time.

But enough of me stealing this thread. :p

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
:topic: couldnt help it......

saw that Steelers logo...

had to fly the colors...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts