Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, that wasn't a replica, it was an original. I used to wear that helmet back "in the day" when I was racing and winning. I loaned out the helemt, which gets passed from dealer to dealer so that the general public can gawk at it.

Honey, where's my medication?

------------------
Pete
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Last year before when I was into sportbikes, I used to go into my dealer for dirtbike parts all the time. He had this racers replica helment, at least thats what I think it was.

The paint scheme on it was based on the Texas state flag. I beleive it was an Arai helment.

Of course I havent seen it anymore, hes changed the helments around for newer ones. I havent had the chance to ask about it there and dont want to until I get a bike first. Just thought someone may know of this helment?

------------------

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
Actually, that wasn't a replica, it was an original. I used to wear that helmet back "in the day" when I was racing and winning
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh Yeah, I remember Pete wearing that when he took the European Super-Tard Wheelchair Championship! :D

------------------
-Paul
748_abuser

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
Leslie,

Since you got the "joke" answers above I'll try and give ya a straight answer. :)

You are probibly talking about the old version of the Colin Edwards Arai helmet.

Unfortunatly he has changed the design on his helmet and Arai no longer offers the old design. Maybe you can get lucky and find someone selling an old version but with Colin kicking butt in the races this year I doubt it.

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well, now that we're being serious... :eek:

Hate to disagree, there, Robert, but it sounds more like the Schwantz rep. Colin's old helmet was pink and yellow, with checkerboards all over the back of it.

I'm pretty sure you can still get the Kevin Schwantz Replica. (And you can get the original Schwantz rep, in the Classics series...)

Just go to an Arai dealer, and he can show you the current catalog... (Their website sucks, and isn't worth the hassle)

------------------
"If you want to keep working here, Son --- stay off the drugs..."

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not to alienate those who have given thier 2 cents but I have a gut feeling AZ Scott is correct.
I will be going down to the dealer first chance I get to confirm who is right. For some reason I beleive it is Kevin Schwantz's replica. And yeah that arai website sucks I tried it before, the only cool thing I like about it was the helment spinner where you could rotate the helment 360 degrees to get all the sights of it.

------------------

·
Premium Member
4,763 Posts
DOH!

Well, I took a guess anyways. What can I say I'm a Shoei fan. :)

(The Arai fits better, but it's just too noisy for me, even with ear plugs in).

------------------
Robert Basil
It ain't easy being green - Kermit the frog
But it sure is fun! - Robert Basil

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, Robert, that's a big DOH too, since you acted the big shot by putting me down before giving the wrong information.

And Kyle, you only wish you were as good as Paul at getting me back. You're like the kid in grade school, hiding behind his bully friend, "Yeah, kick his ass, kick his ass!", but when the bully's ass got kicked, you were taking back every word. So watch out for when I knock Paul down, 'cause you'll be next!

Can a guy not make a joke around here without all this hateful, malicious attacking?

------------------
Pete
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well today after work I swung by the dealer just down the street from work, not the one I usually go to ( that had it before). They did have it on the shelf hidden amongst the others.

The winner was AZ Scott, it is the Kevin Schwantz model. Kinda different from what I remembered but still ok. What I didnt like was the price. $890CDN(593 US) for it!! And its still a 99 not a new one or anything.

I dont know but I think I rather pay 375 CDN for the Shoei RF8 Trump. Both helments fit me great.

I think I will have to see the other dealer, maybe its just stuffed amongst the others and I didnt see it or something.

------------------

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Good Evening Everyone-

The http://www.araihelmet.com website (click on the European area) is much, much, much better than the North American version which can be found at: http://www.araiamericas.com

It looks like there is a pretty good choice of "new model" helmets (i.e. RX7-RR4) painted to look like replicas and historic replicas, and there is also a "true" replica section where they use a traditional model without all the scoops, vents, etc.

You guys are scaring me about the noise of the ARAI helmets, though! I've been riding sportbikes for 10 years with various SHOEI helmets and I just ordered a Phil Read Replica ARAI RX7-RR4 (my first ARAI) and I'm now concerned about the noise level! I always, always, wear plugs with a 29-decibel noise reduction rating.

Anyone have familiarity with both brands who can tell me if it's going to sound like I'm in a wind tunnel or something! :)

Thanks and have a good weekend,

~ Blue Jays ~

------------------

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi 748 Abuser-

Wow, that's not the news that I wanted to hear...

It certainly wouldn't look as "cool," but maybe the answer is to go with a Quantum/F and get a quieter ride and a bit more peace of mind.

To "roadtest it" out without running the risk of getting stone chips, bug splats, and anything like that I may have a friend give me a ride on the highway in a JEEP and I'll just stick my head out the window for a few minutes!

All suggestions are welcomed from you guys...

~ Blue Jays ~

------------------

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drink lots of beer before you take the ride in the Jeep so when passerbys say...

"look at that drunk SOB in the Jeep with the crash helmet on"...

you will actually be drunk. I hate being called a drunk when I'm sober. :D :p :D

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Cheetos-

I've been around long enough and pi**ed-off enough people that I've been called worse! ;) You've painted a very funny picture, though!

Choosing helmets really puts you in a pickle. Some of the online stores just tell you to go to a motorcycle shop, try out all the helmets you're considering and then come back to the computer and place an order.

In my mind, that is complete BS explanation. The stores have overhead, employees to pay, insurance, utilities, etc., etc., so you can't just "use 'em and leave 'em" like that. If the Internet companies had their way....

There seems to be a pretty much equal number of fans of all the major helmet suppliers. If you think of anything else guys, it will be very much appreciated. Our helmets are big investments in more ways than just money.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

------------------

·
Registered
36 Posts
I can only say, that I have found I can get just as good deals through my dealer than for online.

The way I have acheived this is not by going to all the shops in town looking for the best deal, especially ones of the same manufacturer, like the one I usually deal with is Kawi but I only go to that one for Kawi parts. I havent set up a repartee with others like I have with this one. I only deal with the one salesman, that one ONLY!! I would wait 30 mins for him even though the other 5 aint doing squat besides pestering me every 5 min can I help you? NO I told you before Marty ( my salesman) only!! With this repartee I can go in , spring time only as this is when I discover all the problems and things that have to be fixed occurs, ask for advice, parts and automatically get 20 % off a price that my buddy just picked up because he simply uses everyone in town.

Point: You scratch his back by his comission or etc, he scratches yours by deals!

------------------
Real Rebels Ride Rice Burners
-so take that, you cellular totin', cruiser riding wannabe!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Leslie-

That's definitely a good technique for creating a "bond" between consumer and salesperson. I've always been willing to pay a few dollars more for top-quality service and satisfaction. Price ain't everything.

Well, at this point, I'll wait for that ARAI RX7-RR4 to show up in the mail and then I'll see about buying a SHOEI XSP-II and doing a side-by-side comparison. Thanks everyone!

~ Blue Jays ~

------------------

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got this excact helmet. Yes it is louder than my Arai Quantum/F, BUT, the fit is awesome. The helmet liner is completely removeable, ventilation at speed is great, and looks are great, and the helmet is extremely light. I always wear earplugs with helmets anyway, and I have found that a Shoei is quieter than an Arai, but an Arai has much better ventilation. I read somewhere that the more ventilation a helmet has, the louder it will be. My Quantum has almost too much ventilation in the winter! I wear my Shoei in the winter because it is warmer. Even with the Shoei I wear earplugs as much as possible. My .02 cents.

------------------

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
1999gap-

The ARAI Phil Read RX7-RR4 Replica just showed-up in the mail. You're not kidding about the fit, it's outstanding. When you turn your head, the helmet turns right now, instead of that 1/4-second "delay" when helmets aren't quite snug enough.

Previous experience is with SHOEI products and an AGV owned by a family member. Curious to see the difference.

If I can make one recommendation...there is a company called Howard Leight Industries that makes some outstanding ear plugs. Several of their models have a noise reduction rating of 30 decibels and above, which is pretty darn effective. I have to invest in another box of them. The Laser Lites are pretty low-pressure, so they don't give you headaches.

Regards to all,

~ Blue Jays ~

------------------

1 - 20 of 20 Posts